First Impressions of Seek Thermal RevealPro

I thought I would share my first impressions with you regarding the Seek Thermal RevealPro thermal imager. I enjoy small game hunting, and have been looking for a solution to two problems. As anybody who hunts squirrels can attest, they are hard to pick out when they are in a tree and not moving. They are just as difficult to find when they are not moving because you have shot them and they have fallen to the ground. The other problem is work-related, and revolves around locating hot spots caused by poor electrical connections, as well as hot/cold spots caused by air leaks in heating and air conditioning systems.

My research quickly revealed that most of the low-end thermal imagers have very poor resolution. The best deal, in my opinion, ended up being the RevealPro, from Seek Thermal. With 240 x 320 pixels in the sensor, a fairly easy-to-navigate menu, and a reasonable price point, it filled my requirements the best. I found a great buy at Optics Planet, and picked up a factory demo unit for $469 after a discount coupon code was applied. Normal price is $699. As far as it being a factory demo unit, I could not tell it had even been opened or used. Looked brand new to me. 

1543161291_6285836095bfac5cbd76903.19452432_IMG_20181125_105022.jpg

1543161314_3770866675bfac5e20624e5.48248584_IMG_20181125_105015.jpg

I have used it twice while hunting. First was a night hunt for raccoon. With the screen brightness dialed down to minimum, I was able to detect the presence of a raccoon at about 40 yards. I used my Streamline 25 with scope light to nail him. Because he fell into a shallow depression, I was unable to detect him until I was close enough to have line-of-sight. Once I had that, the RevealPro easily picked him up. First image is from 20 yards, second is from two yards.

1543159508_5365022815bfabed466b677.98468463_IMGT0007.PNG

1543159535_3721445605bfabeefaab5f4.87782580_IMGT0002.PNG

Second hunt involved a rabbit bagged at 40 yards. I did not go looking for it for almost an hour, and temps were in the low 40s. Even then, the RevealPro was easily able to locate it. This color (filter) is called tyrian. There are nine filter options to suit your preferences. Image taken from 10 yards.

1543159681_6337559545bfabf81c4c6a6.81023765_IMGT0008.PNG

Pros: Easy to use, quick start-up time, great resolution for the money, multiple filter options for how it displays the image, and good battery life of about 4 hours. Battery is internal and rechargeable via USB cable. 

Cons: Display is on top of unit with sensor facing forward. This makes it a little harder to use while walking and looking for the animal. I found a workaround by holding the unit off to one side, with the display facing me and the sensor facing forward. This actually gives more horizontal coverage in the field of view. Only other thing I don't like is that during start-up, the screen brightness is at max, even if you have it set to minimum. It only lasts a second, and I simply cover the screen with my hand if I'm hunting at night.

I will try to get out in the woods in the next week or so and use it on some tree rats. I will update you with the results. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope this was helpful to anybody else thinking about lower-cost thermal imaging as compared to expensive thermal weapon sights.

Well I'm happy to give you +1 accuracy for this review. The expensive and risky toys, like thermal vision, are so rare for someone to purchase it is hard to get good information on them. Thank you so much for taking the time to share, and hopefully continue to share, your experiences on them. 

A quick question, if I may: what lead you to pick this over a Torrey Pines Logic? 

Well I'm happy to give you +1 accuracy for this review. The expensive and risky toys, like thermal vision, are so rare for someone to purchase it is hard to get good information on them. Thank you so much for taking the time to share, and hopefully continue to share, your experiences on them. 

A quick question, if I may: what lead you to pick this over a Torrey Pines Logic?

You're welcome, and thanks for the +1. I have learned so much from others on this site that it would seem selfish to not share when I try something new. You asked a good question. Torrey Pines Logic was the first product line I looked at when I began my quest. The major deal-breaker for me was the low resolution. 80 x 60 resolution is going to make medium to small game recognition all but impossible. Even if you go with the T20 and its true optical zoom, you still get the same low resolution. You would have to be at twice the cost, or more, of the RevealPro to get the same or better resolution of 320 x240. That is 4,800 pixels of information vs 76,800 pixels of information. The low resolution is one of the most common complaints on reviews of the lower end Torrey Pines Logic products. Now, some may like the idea of the TPL thermal imager being mountable on a weapon. True, it does have a reticle feature, but it is not adjustable to zero the sight, and the tiny screen is hard on the eyes. I also didn't like the idea of the TPL images using CR123 and CR2 batteries. Battery life isn't phenomenal, and they aren't as easy to find. The RevealPro has a rechargeable internal battery that lasts about 4 hours, which is way more than I need as I only use it intermittently. 

Aloha Iceman,

What are your thoughts in using it in thick cover? Can you give me an idea what the range is? Looking for something to track pigs in heavy cover.

Mahalo

Mark

Mark, the key thing to keep in mind about thermal imagers and tracking game is line of sight. They cannot see through objects, including glass. However, the RevealPro has exceptional resolution when it comes to temperature differences. You can walk across the floor barefoot, turn around, and see your "footprints" where your feet warmed the floor up the tiniest amount. This means that blood is easy to detect if you begin tracking within a short period of time. I haven't had the opportunity to track a kill yet, but the raccoon I shot bled out profusely while kicking about after a head shot. The blood spatter was easy to make out for about twenty minutes or so. As far as tracking an uninjured animal, again, you have to have direct line of sight to see the animal. Thick cover is going to make it difficult to do that. I have picked up deer at 50 yards from a box blind, partially obscured by tree branches. and they were easily identifiable as deer at that range. Much more than that, and you will need to spend a lot more money to get what you want. I have a 40 pound three-legged dog named Tripod, and I will see if I can get her to lay down or stand back in the trees behind the house, so I can take a picture of her with the imager.

Mahalo Iceman! 

Would love to see a pick of Tripod in some thick if he cooperates.. HaHa. 

Gotta agree with you on cost of thermals... I was looking at a Pulsar XQ30 but couldn’t justify the costs (more for the lack of money... HaHa). Thought night vision was out of my buget until I found the Night Owl. Seems to be working out and with the money saved I was thinking about a Leupold LTO Quest or LTO. Now there’s the Seek. To be honest, I don’t know much about night vision and thermals but thanks to you and others I’m learning what might work for my needs. 

Mark

Mahalo Iceman! 

Would love to see a pick of Tripod in some thick if he cooperates.. HaHa. 

Gotta agree with you on cost of thermals... I was looking at a Pulsar XQ30 but couldn’t justify the costs (more for the lack of money... HaHa). Thought night vision was out of my buget until I found the Night Owl. Seems to be working out and with the money saved I’m thinking about a Leupold Seek or LTO. To be honest, I don’t know much about night vision and thermals but thanks to you and others I’m learning what might work for my needs. 

Mark

Here are two images of Tripod, the first at less than 10 yards, and the second around 25 yards. In the second, you can see that part of her body is obscured by bushes, however, the parts of her that are visible clearly stand out from her surroundings due to her body heat. Outdoor temp was 54 degrees. As far as the Leupold Quest, it is just a Seek Thermal Reveal that has been rebranded. The Reveal has only 206 x 156 resolution, and that is why I went with the RevealPro and its 320 x 240 resolution. The LTO has the same resolution of 206 x 156. When you combine that with the digital zoom (not optical) you are going to have a difficult time making out anything on the tiny 1.2 inch screen. It might work for detecting moving animals some distance away, but that is about it. Glad you are happy with the Night Owl. I use an ATN X-Sight II 3 - 14x for night hunting. For the money, I have been very happy with its performance. It's not thermal, but neither is its price!

1543187381_13354795695bfb2bb57a28d6.17029256_IMGT0001.PNG

1543187391_15763894215bfb2bbf305139.97462928_IMGT0004.PNG

Mahalo Iceman!

I mistakenly thought you were reviewing the Leupold... My better half always reminds me that reading is not one of my strong points... 

Thank Tripod for me for being a model! Thanks also for going outside to take the pics! I think this is something I should look into. Would be nice not to be on my hands and knees with a flashlight tracking for blood. May or may not work but it would be another tool for game recovery. Another plus, it’s a cool “toy” to show friends! 

Mark

Mahalo Iceman!

I mistakenly thought you were reviewing the Leupold... My better half always reminds me that reading is not one of my strong points... 

Thank Tripod for me for being a model! Thanks also for going outside to take the pics! I think this is something I should look into. Would be nice not to be on my hands and knees with a flashlight tracking for blood. May or may not work but it would be another tool for game recovery. Another plus, it’s a cool “toy” to show friends! 

Mark

You're welcome. I paid Tripod with a piece of beef jerky. When I get the chance to snap some images of a blood trail, I will post them.