• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First Impressions FWB Sport .177

I finally pulled the trigger on buying the FWB Sport from Champions Choice, the only thing I was disappointed with was having to pay shipping. But still the $495.00 price tag was nice. So the box arrives and I open it up, I really was taken by the feel of this rifle in my hands , it felt very good, the checkering was extremely nice IMOP, and the weight was just perfect for me. Then I tried cocking it, but not all the way, and heard the spring , like an old door opening. The only springer I own that makes any noise at all, or that you can feel the spring when cocking. And I have at least 10. Went to my basement for my first shots at 5 yards, open sights. I now fully cocked the piston, and loaded a pellet. Set my open sights on the 1 in. square. Nailed the center, it was very exciting to see how nice this rifle shoots. Continued putting the pellets into a nice ragged hole, 1/2 and some smaller. I then tried a different pellet, which entered the chamber with no resistance, this came in a bit lower and to the left, but all consecutive shot's went to the same location. Then tried another brand and weight of pellet, and it hit center. So I found it liked the heavier pellets 8.4-10.3. But have so many tins of pellets that I will probably stick with the first batch I tried. Cocking effort was not that bad, I can say I get a better workout with my Blue Streak going only to 5 pumps. The trigger felt fine, and I loved the position of the automatic safety, right where you would want it on all rifles. So easy to operate with the thumb of your shooting hand. As it warmed up the spring noise was not all that bad, and there was no other sound upon firing other than the pellet slamming into the back of the trap. I can say this is one of the highest dollar amounts I have paid for any of my springers, I'm glad it was not the higher dollar amounts they were asking years before this, and some places are still listing it at $699.00. So unfortunately it does not fall into the Bargain category with the Diana 430L., but it is worth every penny I paid for it, and hopefully things will only get better. Seems I have less problems holding on target with open sights than I do with a scope. Maybe if I had 15 yards to play with instead of 15 feet, things would be different. Unless I go to my local gun range and try it there, I will just have to wait for spring, and set something up in the yard. 

You are going to be enjoying your Sport for decades!

I like the Feinwerkbau rifles - pricey, yeah but they are built to last. My 124 is 36 years old; my 300SU 33 years and my 603 20 years - all are awesome shooters.

On some new springers the springs need to rotate and settle into place and the factory grease has to distribute itself. Give it a bit of shooting to break it in.

Congrats on your new rifle!

May I ask where you got it at that price.

It was purchased at Champions Choice, they have had them on sale for sometime. There regular price was even lower than most by $100.00. I would say it's well worth the money, Not as good a deal as the Diana 430L . I highly doubt the price on the FWB Sport would ever go any lower than this.

I really like the open sights that come on it. I only wish the front sight had interchangeable inserts, I would have liked to have put a williams peep sight on the rear. I can always see about putting one of my spare HW front sights on it. http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=CategoryBody&c=AIARFE

As mentioned this is the most I have or probably will ever spend on a springer. They make a fine 22LR competition pistol, but I would never spend the 2k to buy one. Then put a $600-$800.00 red dot on it. I looked into the PCP market, and found that it is expensive, but this is a hobby, like my old hobby was Giant Scale RC planes. Never thought twice about putting 4-6K into a model plane, that could end up in a ball of parts on the very first flight. So PCPs would be cheap compared to that hobby. I have even found some of the sub $150.00 rifles to be quite enjoyable as well. Great power and Gas piston instead of spring piston. So it's all up to the shooter.