First hunt with my dialed in .22 Impact

In October I received a new .22 Impact Mk11. Since then I've been working (when the weather allows) testing slugs for long range accuracy. I decided to go with the Griffin 24g 0.218" dish based slugs shooting at 935fps.

Wednesday night I replaced the SWFA 3-15x scope with an Athlon Midas TAC 4-16x scope and switched to a knock-off of the Aero Precision lite scope mount. It was snowing yesterday when I got off work so I set my bench up in the garage, zero'd the Impact for 40 yards, set the zero stop, put on some tape around the elevation knob and range tested/marked the dial for 10 yard increments up to 90 yards using a work light to illuminate the targets. 

Last night a buddy that owns a nearby cattle ranch invited me to pigeon hunt today so I took the Impact, bipod, range finder, cold weather gear to work. He got held up but said I could go out by myself if I wanted. By the time I got there it was about 4:00 and daylight was fading fast. I pulled up in the car and ranged an invasive Eurasian collard dove at 55 yards. I dialed the elevation and WHOP, down it went. Not even a quiver.

I then pulled up to the stock yards and saw a cluster of starlings perched in a dead locust tree at 68 yards. I dialed and ditto, WHOP, down it went. I drove around in the muck for a while and notice a flock of those doves in a bare tree at 90 yards. This made me a little nervous because I'd range tested in snowing, near dark conditions the night before. I dialed the distance, rested on a pile of hay bales (which were VERY solid) and WHOP, down it went. Not a twitch. I thought they all flew away but no, there was one left. WHOP, down it went, same thing. All super solid hits.

I drove around a bit more and spotted another dove on the powerlines across the road at 62 yards. Hay bales again for a rest (and concealment). WHOP. I then drove across the road to where the birds are usually active in the day and walked around the mucky corrals for a while as the daylight faded. No birds so I got back in the car and drove down the road until I spotted another dove on a powerline over a field. 68 yards. WHOP!

It really is amazing the performance difference between pellets and slugs. 6 shots, 6 solid kills. I know these ranges weren't extreme but the slugs make shooting feel more like a powder burner rifle.

Here's my Impact with the Athlon scope.

jWmS6aI.jpg
[/url][/img]

Here's the reticle, a pretty good one in my opinion. I plan to dial elevation when possible but use holdovers if a shot has to be taken very quickly.

9L6TSpF.jpg
[/url][/img]

600mm slug liner. I'll try JSB pellets out of it this weekend.

I don't have enough time with the Athlon scope to make a good judgement but here are some things I've noticed. I like the SWFA reticle but I LOVE the Athlon reticle. The SWFA turrets are OK but the Athlon turret clicks are very crisp and loud when they click. No zero stop on the SWFA, Athlon zero stop is solid. 

I have the same gun. I had Ken Hicks at SPAW air install his power tune kit. Mine is 25. Talk about a WHOP There is a down side the gun is considerably louder. I’ve found it takes a pretty good WHOP to reliably and ethically take pigeons beyond 75 yards so that’s why I had the power tune done but like everything there are some negatives. Fewer shots per fill and louder crack. 

Ive got my two permissions about cleared out on pigeons. Of course the starlings are in and out. To cold to shoot outside here in Pa.