First hiccup with my GX-CS4

Yesterday while topping off my FX Dream-Tac's 480cc bottle I noticed the compressor's temperature gauge was climbing faster that normal, it hit 96F by time it was done and normally doesn't even get into the 90's topping off this airgun. I pulled the cap off the water tank and sure enough, no movement! I took the cover off to check connections and felt the water pump, which had zero vibration or any other indication it was running, so I figured it had died.

I purchased my CS4 on March 8th 2023, so go figure, the warranty ended 9 days ago... I sent an e-mail to GX Pumps letting them know of the failure with the hopes they would offer a good faith extension of the warranty and cover the replacement pump. Well, I received their reply this morning and thought, geez, they've got to be kidding!

Their reply: "Poke the middle of the bottom with a stick"

They also included a short video:

I'll be honest, I really didn't think this would fix anything, but figured I'd better give it a try before e-mailing them back... Well, who'd a thunk? Sure enough, after poking the bottom hole with a long 3/16" Allen Wrench, all of a sudden, I have water flowing again! All I can figure is some sediment had settled at the bottom of the water tank and eventually blocked the water flow. I thought this was odd because I have flushed the system multiple times when I initially set it up and thought everything had been flushed from the system. Apparently not! Anyway, thought I'd share this so anyone else who may experience what they think might be a water pump failure, can try this before they go looking fro a replacement pump! Also, Bill at Target Forge didn't have any in stock, but said he could order one pretty quick, so it's good to know we have a U.S. source for these GX Compressor parts!

Yea, when I read their e-mail, I thought, you gotta be kidding me! But, hey it worked, so who am I to argue with success! I'm thinking I need to flush the system again with something and then refill with fresh coolant. White vinegar was mentioned, and I wondered about automotive radiator flush. I just don't want anything too harsh that could damage the radiator or water pump.

Reactions: Airgun Al
Another tip that works just as well as the "poke it with a stick" trick is turning the power switch on, wait about 2 seconds, then off for 5. Repeat as necessary. If the lack of flow is caused by a bubble in the bottom of the reservoir, you'll see said bubble being released as the flow of water is reversed, then it should flow normally once again. Have had to do that several times when doing the initial flush.

Setting the compressor on its side can induce bubbles even after the system has been running flawlessly for a while.

Yesterday while topping off my FX Dream-Tac's 480cc bottle I noticed the compressor's temperature gauge was climbing faster that normal, it hit 96F by time it was done and normally doesn't even get into the 90's topping off this airgun. I pulled the cap off the water tank and sure enough, no movement! I took the cover off to check connections and felt the water pump, which had zero vibration or any other indication it was running, so I figured it had died.

I purchased my CS4 on March 8th 2023, so go figure, the warranty ended 9 days ago... I sent an e-mail to GX Pumps letting them know of the failure with the hopes they would offer a good faith extension of the warranty and cover the replacement pump. Well, I received their reply this morning and thought, geez, they've got to be kidding!

Their reply: "Poke the middle of the bottom with a stick"

They also included a short video:

I'll be honest, I really didn't think this would fix anything, but figured I'd better give it a try before e-mailing them back... Well, who'd a thunk? Sure enough, after poking the bottom hole with a long 3/16" Allen Wrench, all of a sudden, I have water flowing again! All I can figure is some sediment had settled at the bottom of the water tank and eventually blocked the water flow. I thought this was odd because I have flushed the system multiple times when I initially set it up and thought everything had been flushed from the system. Apparently not! Anyway, thought I'd share this so anyone else who may experience what they think might be a water pump failure, can try this before they go looking fro a replacement pump! Also, Bill at Target Forge didn't have any in stock, but said he could order one pretty quick, so it's good to know we have a U.S. source for these GX Compressor parts!
Temperature gauge? On a GX-CS4? I don't see one on mine - please send me a photo!

I added it myself. The holder is 3D printed, I got the .STL off Thingiverse.

IMG_2513.jpg

I attached the probe to the top of the compressor, opposite the temperature sensor that feeds the Controller Board.

Probe-Location.jpg

Another tip that works just as well as the "poke it with a stick" trick is turning the power switch on, wait about 2 seconds, then off for 5. Repeat as necessary. If the lack of flow is caused by a bubble in the bottom of the reservoir, you'll see said bubble being released as the flow of water is reversed, then it should flow normally once again. Have had to do that several times when doing the initial flush.

Setting the compressor on its side can induce bubbles even after the system has been running flawlessly for a while.
That's how I "burped" mine(y)

Reactions: F6Hawk
Good thing you had your eye on the Temp.
👍

Allen
Thus the reason I like to add a temperature gauge to these compressors that don't come with one. Sure, it has a sensor attached to it, but I have no idea what temp that's set at and if it will prevent damage. Maybe it's a control thing, but I know the normal operating range of this compressor, so when it started approaching it way before it should, I shut it down and starting looking for the reason why!

Maybe incorporate a screen filter or make a tube sediment trap..?

A rc " crap trap" filter for one example

Reactions: rcs9250
Maybe incorporate a screen filter or make a tube sediment trap..?

A rc " crap trap" filter for one example

That's a pretty cool idea, do you know if the fittings are the correct size for the water lines?