• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First hand pumping

Well I have everything for my Kratos. Rifle, scope, pellets, and was waiting on a cheapie hand pump. Mailman brought the pump Saturday so I unbox it and hook it up. Start pumping and after probably 50 strokes see the gauge is still at about 1800psi, the rifle I bought used already had 2100psi in it. Had the wife on the floor looking for leaks after I put some liquid soap on the connections. After about another 25 pumps she found a leak at the hose output fitting. Fixed that. Started pumping again and couldn't get it to go beyond about 2300psi. Found another leak and fixed that. By the time I got to 3000psi, I was in a full sweat. All this took place in about 40 minutes and we had to leave for a family reunion and I needed another shower. Not sure this is the sort of hobby for an old fat guy.

Get a compressor, pumps are for chumps 😀
Im looking for a compressors in Amazon. It looks like Yong Heng is about $300, comes with bunch of parts.. and you put in water and oil in it?? seems a bit confusing..

This one is $225 and seems simpler. Is there a downside to using this?

Well I have everything for my Kratos. Rifle, scope, pellets, and was waiting on a cheapie hand pump. Mailman brought the pump Saturday so I unbox it and hook it up. Start pumping and after probably 50 strokes see the gauge is still at about 1800psi, the rifle I bought used already had 2100psi in it. Had the wife on the floor looking for leaks after I put some liquid soap on the connections. After about another 25 pumps she found a leak at the hose output fitting. Fixed that. Started pumping again and couldn't get it to go beyond about 2300psi. Found another leak and fixed that. By the time I got to 3000psi, I was in a full sweat. All this took place in about 40 minutes and we had to leave for a family reunion and I needed another shower. Not sure this is the sort of hobby for an old fat guy.
There's an entire thread on this in the Tanks, Pumps & Compressors forum..

Use your legs and your "weight" to your advantage.. ;-)

There's ton of suggestions for compressors here..

Im looking for a compressors in Amazon. It looks like Yong Heng is about $300, comes with bunch of parts.. and you put in water and oil in it?? seems a bit confusing..

This one is $225 and seems simpler. Is there a downside to using this?
If your just filling you gun those small portable compressors do the job nicely. I had my small portable for close too 2yrs and had zero problems

I used a hand pump for months at first but my first PCP was a Prod, only 66cc at no more than 3000 psi. Handpumping was not a big deal. Then I bought an Avenger. 180cc of 300 bar air. I pumped it up to 4000 a couple times but usually only filled to 3500. But it was hundreds of pumps and not a ton of fun. By BMI I am "normal" and 66. I weigh about 185. I can do it, but I am blessed with enough money I don't have to.

The little pumps that can also work at 12V are definitely a reasonable way to go. They can give you air at home or anywhere else you have a vehicle available to supply them power.

A Yong Heng is not portable unless you want to bring a generator (I have one, I could). But it will fill a gun in about 1/10th the time as a little 12V. I did not use it on my Prod at first thinking I wouldn't be able to shut it off fast enough. That is not true but it will fill it in less than a minute. It will also fill a SCBA tank and it is easy to take that with you on a trip away from the house. But if you buy the YH, even an expired SCBA tank, and a fill set, you will spend much more than a little 12V. I like using the SCBA tank even when at home because it means only running the YH about once a month. Filling from a tank is nearly silent. Filling from a compressor is not.

Depends on how much PCP shooting you think you're gonna do. If (big if) you have scuba shops or paintball/air gun stores near you you may want to consider a decent size tank. If you go the tank route I recommend a larger one. I shoot a lot (granted, .177 and .22 only) and I have yet to have to top off my tank this year. Fills will be $10-$30 depending on lots of factors. Assuming you have a 4,500 PSI fill place near you..

The 12volt DC/120v AC dual voltage is a decent option too for fillings guns or small tanks.

I loath pumping anything with a reservoir larger than 100 cc or so. Still every PCP shooter should have one as a backup.

Regards.

Pumping isn't for the lame, sick or lazy. They have govt programs to help with that so the rest of the able bodied individuals can pay for the free ride. 😆😆😆

Seriously though, get yourself a compressor and start shooting. I'm still pumping 5 PCPs since 2016 and I haven't found it to be all that terrible of an activity. Having said that, I AM considering one of these....

Bill over at https://targetforge.net has a great series of videos show g upgrades and maintenance on these little compressors. He even carries parts for them for purchase. He has basically done the work for the rest of us making it easy to operate and maintain these compressors. I might be worth a look.

A70ED873-C23A-48AC-B548-7ADE997509B4.jpeg

Bill over at https://targetforge.net has a great series of videos show g upgrades and maintenance on these little compressors. He even carries parts for them for purchase. He has basically done the work for the rest of us making it easy to operate and maintain these compressors. I might be worth a look.

I would likely purchase the CS2 if it had auto shutoff. Kind of a major feature for the easily distracted like myself.

As for hand pumps... I have two. When your compressor breaks or needs service you'll be glad you have one, unless you're willing to take a possibly long break from shooting. I find the satisfaction of having my guns fully pumped and ready to go beats the minor PITA of pumping. I have a Hill MK5 and an Air Venturi hand pump, no problems with either yet.

Get a compressor, pumps are for chumps 😀
Or a six hundred pound non smoker, lol
I spent hours researching hand pumps and almost settled for a Four Stage hand pump until I ran into a couple of videos where a 200lb adult could not get it passed 3000psi. Needless to say I purchased the TOAUTO PRO PCP Pump Air Compressor Auto-Stop 30Mpa 12V/110V/220V 4500psi High Pressure budget compressor, so far runs smoothly no funny sounds or leaks and does not struggle like some of the smaller similar units.

Reactions: HubenK1Sniper92
I hand pump,no problem until I have to go to 3000psi,I hate it,mainly because I am only going to get 22 or so good shots...
I have a small compressor,used it once, another pain.....when I finally get burned out, I grab a springer and thank goodness I have some really nice ones.
Yea, looks like I better get serious about setting up my wee compressor.

Reactions: BurntDog
Or a six hundred pound non smoker, lol
I spent hours researching hand pumps and almost settled for a Four Stage hand pump until I ran into a couple of videos where a 200lb adult could not get it passed 3000psi. Needless to say I purchased the TOAUTO PRO PCP Pump Air Compressor Auto-Stop 30Mpa 12V/110V/220V 4500psi High Pressure budget compressor, so far runs smoothly no funny sounds or leaks and does not struggle like some of the smaller similar units.
I never get those stories :rolleyes: 200lb and cannot go past 3000 psi ?

I'm almost 60, 145 lb and I have no problem pumping to 250 BAR or 3600 psi

missinformation of that kind sure is fake news :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Reactions: Greenarrow