First Gun Purchase…

I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on the HW50S and a Hawke 30 SF Compact IR 4-16x44 Airmax

Gonna call tomorrow and grab it. Already cancelled the Hatsan. I’ll give an update if and when I get the order through…Any .22 pellet recommendations for the Weihrauch HW50S? I’ll test if I have to, but figure I’ll pick at y’all’s wealth of knowledge first!

hw50s is a great choice. I own several Weihrauchs and that is the one I shoot most often.
R

Reactions: maxtrouble
I am North of 80 and I really like/enjoy my HW95L with the Hawke 4-16 x 44 MM. I had my best groups ever today at 25 yards. I have no knowledge of the HW50 but lots of folks rave about that model. This is my 95 which I highly recommend. Good luck and post pics of your rifle when you get it. I have good accuracy with H&N FTT 14.66 gr .22 pellets. I forgot to add that I used Hawke 2 piece medium tactical rings and blue Loctite on all 16 mounting screws. Hawke | Airmax 30 SF Compact 4-16x44 AMX IR (hawkeoptics.com) 

IMG_0386 1-20-2021 new rings.1615858434.jpg

I wish I could get a 95. Trying to keep the budget down at the moment. I say this after I say I wanna spend $700 altogether, haha. 

Any issues with the mounts or scope? Finalizing my plans for the call to the store tomorrow…😁👍🏻

Beautiful rifle by the way!!!

I suggest the Beeman R9 / HW 95L .The Rekord trigger makes it worth it.It can be tuned down with a Vortec Kit so your son can use it,easier to cock and learn to shoot it accurately, and still perform pest control duties.And then once he has the hang of it,put the original parts back in it or buy the upgrade Vortec Kit. The kits are around $90. As far as scopes go,I really like the AirMax models from Hawke. The reticle is what I really I like plus the size and weight of their 2-7 x 32 . It really suits the practical use of a spring air rifle. I also would go with BKL-278 rings, ( I think). A set costs $52. Pellet wise. The JSB 14gr and 15.89gr. Then the H&N Field Target Trophy 14gr.They come in 3 head sizes.Try the crossman brand, you might get lucky. Good luck

I haven't had any problems with the scope or mounts and my wife can shoot 1.5" groups and she really loves the IR feature. I had a tree rat take a dirt nap at 23 yards offhand yesterday and the only complaint I have is why in hell I waited so long to get a good quality combo airgun! Good luck and I hope that you can purchase the HW95 as it is a very fine rifle.

"I don't think you could go wrong with a hw30s with a hawke 2-7 x 32mm scope. The rifle in the deluxe model is currently selling for 324.99 on aoa. The scope for 99"

And like the previous poster said the hw50 is a pound heavier and a bit more of an effort for a 9 year old to haul and load. I have both guns, the 30 and the 50... they are excellent rifles, dead nuts accurate but at 69 years old with some health issues if I'm going out for a walk in my woods for some plinking I will grab the HW30s every time. 

And in the worst case scenario that it didn't suit your purposes you could always sell it at a minimal loss.

Thanks for the posts everybody! 

My son is learning the basics of firearms and at least for now I’ll be hauling and cocking the rifle until he learns and respects the process. Mainly a backyard plinker for now and I’ll be taking some pests after I dial in the rifle and get it down pat.

Some friends have some land we’ll hit someday. For now it’ll be mostly target shooting, my son loves shooting prone and I can’t argue with that 😄

Anyways, I ended on the HW50S with a Hawke Airmax 4-16x44 30mm w/ 30mm 2 piece tactical mount from Hawke. Seems like most things are out of stock so I’ll play the waiting game once again. I will update with pics as soon as everything is here!

Again, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I’m sure their will be more in our future!

Reactions: ITACUD and Sc0-
I know you all do not like the hatson 95 vortex qe but I got a used one about a year ago and have about 3000 shot into it. Best pellet is the cheap Rugar super points 17gr. Cal 5.5mm it shots dime groups at 30 yard all day with $7.23 for 200 pellet and have done nothing to the gun but put a 4x16x40 center point. And very good cleaning. I love it 

Just wanted to update everyone on the status…I waited over two months for the Weirauch and AirGunDepot to get me my order, but caved when they reported back to me they had no idea when I would be getting it.

So…I ended up purchasing by the new Diana 34 EMS .22 with the same Hawke Airmax 4-16 x 44 scope. Delivery scheduled for Thursday!

I am a first time air gunner so I won’t be able to make comparisons to other rifles but look forward to sharing my experiences with it!

The 34 is a fine rifle. It should give you many years of enjoyment. Mine shoots many different pellets well. Have fun! Diana and Hw rifles are lays brands, you cannot have just one....lol

I've always wanted to get a real Diana 34 in .22 but kept putting it off. I like the rifle extremely.

Congrats to johnwenzel for accidentally getting a FINE rifle and scope!

Kindly,

Good choice. The 34 has enough power to take pests at out past 40 yards easily and are quite accurate with most pellets. They do have a bit of recoil but that usually smooths out once the excess grease stops dieseling. I’m sure you’ll enjoy time with your son shooting. If you plan on shooting rested in either the prone or at a bench you might want to look into a paint roller rest. Very simple to make for only a few dollars and sure help with accuracy when shooting a springer with its forward lunge recoil.

I know this question has been asked a lot…but wanted to see what people would suggest.

I am looking for either a Springer or Gas piston rifle. Right now, I think I’ll stay away from PCP guns, atleast to me seems like a slightly bigger investment. Looking for a pest control/backyard plinker rifle that me and my 9 year old son can enjoy together. Maybe something we could enjoy at a range someday as well. .22 seems like a good caliber and good selections of ammo as well. We’ve been shooting a Red Ryder BB and I’m looking for something a bit nicer…haha.

Realistically I would like to keep the price point under $400. AirgunDepot offers a 10% military discount so four hundred can keep me below my mark with taxes and what not. This is probably a topic for another forum but if anyone can link other posts or make suggestions on a scope? That I’m looking into for a separate purchase with a price around $250-$400 and a quality mount. Really worried about ruining a good scope…

I have an order for a .22 Hatsan Mod 95 Vortex QE but I am sick and tired of them pushing my date back and the more I look at rifles the more I think I could do a bit better…but I just don’t know.

Any advice is appreciated.
for humane hunting or target shooting? Makes a difference

I am North of 80 and I really like/enjoy my HW95L with the Hawke 4-16 x 44 MM. I had my best groups ever today at 25 yards. I have no knowledge of the HW50 but lots of folks rave about that model. This is my 95 which I highly recommend. Good luck and post pics of your rifle when you get it. I have good accuracy with H&N FTT 14.66 gr .22 pellets. I forgot to add that I used Hawke 2 piece medium tactical rings and blue Loctite on all 16 mounting screws. Hawke | Airmax 30 SF Compact 4-16x44 AMX IR (hawkeoptics.com)

View attachment 142958
Very nice gun indeed! Enjoy

Reactions: Deerstalker