First Gun Purchase…

I know this question has been asked a lot…but wanted to see what people would suggest.

I am looking for either a Springer or Gas piston rifle. Right now, I think I’ll stay away from PCP guns, atleast to me seems like a slightly bigger investment. Looking for a pest control/backyard plinker rifle that me and my 9 year old son can enjoy together. Maybe something we could enjoy at a range someday as well. .22 seems like a good caliber and good selections of ammo as well. We’ve been shooting a Red Ryder BB and I’m looking for something a bit nicer…haha.

Realistically I would like to keep the price point under $400. AirgunDepot offers a 10% military discount so four hundred can keep me below my mark with taxes and what not. This is probably a topic for another forum but if anyone can link other posts or make suggestions on a scope? That I’m looking into for a separate purchase with a price around $250-$400 and a quality mount. Really worried about ruining a good scope…

I have an order for a .22 Hatsan Mod 95 Vortex QE but I am sick and tired of them pushing my date back and the more I look at rifles the more I think I could do a bit better…but I just don’t know.

Any advice is appreciated.

If you want a nicer gun that will last you a very long time ,Go with a Weirauch Instead of the Hatsan 95.I have both and the Hatsan that I got is junk. There’s People that like theirs But mine is pure junk. The Weirauch Does cost more but is well worth it.They also come with good open sites that you could use for the time being and then buy a scope later.And if you prefer a 22 caliber, I would recommend at least a HW 50.A HW30 would barely get the job done for what you wanna do with it.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Hatsan 95 in your choice of three calibers. Why spend all that money on a first gun. The 95 is practical. Accurate and has a nice trigger and a nice walnut stock. The if you decide you want to get something better do.

All the guys on AGN will instantly tell you to buy a European or German gun. For millimeters of accuracy difference. 

AIM SMALL SHOOT SMALL 

Been looking into the Weihrauch and the HW50S which seems like an intriguing buy at $379. Leaning that way or the Diana 350 Magnum/340 NTEC Premium? Any experiences with those at all?

Is it worth getting caught up in the 574fps in .22 with the HW50? Seems low, I get that number is not everything.

Scope recommendations? Sub $400

Just keep in mind that your nine year old might have a hard time shooting a powerful Springer. HW 50 is much easier to cock and shoot.Not much recoil at all and is very accurate. The more powerful ones you need to practice a lot and use the artillery hold.And they are usually much heavier. My HW 50 is a 177 caliber. And I only have a UTG 4 power Scope on mine. At that time I paid $80 for it. There is better scope options for sure but you can’t beat them for the price. Even some of the higher price scopes will break from the recoil of a springer Rifle .The main thing is you Gotta make sure your scope is Springer rated. I already had that UTG scope and was told that it would handle the recoil and it does fine. Not sure though on a magnum Springer.

Hello I had a Diana 350 magnum not a very fun gun to shoot. (to hold sensitive at least for me) Have A HW30 in 22 cal and great for squirrels out to 20 yds with head shots. My daughter has the Beeman r7 (HW30) with a UTG bug buster scope in 177 cal and can stretch out to 30yds for squirrels, both are great guns and easy to shoot especially for a child. If you want a little more power I would look at the HW50 or maybe even a used HW95. Hope this helps Eric 

All I can tell you is yes there is some people that like the Hatsan 95.But if I showed those people my particular rifle that I bought brand new and showed them the problems That I’m having with it because of the crappy machining, I guarantee they wouldn’t like mine. They just got lucky and got a good one.The only thing that was nice on the gun was the stock .But I had to take some fine steel wool over it and then buff it out because it had blemishes all over the stock, and that is the only way I could get them out.

I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on the HW50S and a Hawke 30 SF Compact IR 4-16x44 Airmax

Gonna call tomorrow and grab it. Already cancelled the Hatsan. I’ll give an update if and when I get the order through…Any .22 pellet recommendations for the Weihrauch HW50S? I’ll test if I have to, but figure I’ll pick at y’all’s wealth of knowledge first!

I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on the HW50S and a Hawke 30 SF Compact IR 4-16x44 Airmax

Gonna call tomorrow and grab it. Already cancelled the Hatsan. I’ll give an update if and when I get the order through…Any .22 pellet recommendations for the Weihrauch HW50S? I’ll test if I have to, but figure I’ll pick at y’all’s wealth of knowledge first!

If you lived nearby me, I would let you have my Hatsan.I gave another gun to a member on here not too long ago. The thing is, it can be shot with just open sites. The problem is the barrel doesn’t lock up tight and you can jiggle it up and down but since the sites are mounted to the barrel you can still shoot it that way. But they also come with Low quality scopes. I don’t know if you ordered the package deal or not. If I was still machining I would fix it myself and I’m not taking it to a machine shop because I know it would cost more than the gun is worth to me. I just don’t want to see you go through the same problem that I did even though you could get lucky but that’s rolling the dice. But all that being said I do understand there can be problems with anything no matter how much you spend. The Hatsan triggers are just OK to me. They are kind of weird because you have to pull them on an angle instead of straight back the way they are designed.But I hope you enjoy your HW. I think it will fit you and your sons needs much better.Most people like JSB pellets. Mine likes H&N pellets a little better.I would try something in the 14 grain domes.

I have many of the springers mentioned,the R-7 or that HW30 ,RWS34 are the right choice....because the HW 50 was rough,the R-9 is great for hunting,too big for young man..TX nah,learn to drive first...

You want a light ,easy to cock accurate springer that is forever R-7,is the way to go...going on a million pellets on mine.

Start with known quality,with something easy to cock,that fits good that will be something you Never want to get rid of.....R-7,then a R-9,then HW97,and then a PCP,LOL......

All I can tell you is yes there is some people that like the Hatsan 95.But if I showed those people my particular rifle that I bought brand new and showed them the problems That I’m having with it because of the crappy machining, I guarantee they wouldn’t like mine. They just got lucky and got a good one.The only thing that was nice on the gun was the stock .But I had to take some fine steel wool over it and then buff it out because it had blemishes all over the stock, and that is the only way I could get them out.

Or you just got unlucky and got a bad one?

I am North of 80 and I really like/enjoy my HW95L with the Hawke 4-16 x 44 MM. I had my best groups ever today at 25 yards. I have no knowledge of the HW50 but lots of folks rave about that model. This is my 95 which I highly recommend. Good luck and post pics of your rifle when you get it. I have good accuracy with H&N FTT 14.66 gr .22 pellets. I forgot to add that I used Hawke 2 piece medium tactical rings and blue Loctite on all 16 mounting screws. Hawke | Airmax 30 SF Compact 4-16x44 AMX IR (hawkeoptics.com) 

IMG_0386 1-20-2021 new rings.1615858434.jpg

Reactions: kanmotexacal
All I can tell you is yes there is some people that like the Hatsan 95.But if I W those people my particular rifle that I bought brand new and showed them the problems That I’m having with it because of the crappy machining, I guarantee they wouldn’t like mine. They just got lucky and got a good one.The only thing that was nice on the gun was the stock .But I had to take some fine steel wool over it and then buff it out because it had blemishes all over the stock, and that is the only way I could get them out.

Or you just got unlucky and got a bad one?

That is possible but if you would’ve read my other comment I said that no matter what kind of money you spend you can have problems.The bottom line is their machining practices were unexcusable.I know what good machining looks like.I’ve seen apprentices that were only machining for a month do much better work.And BTW I’m not the only one that has had the exact same problem with their Hatsan 95.

Excellent Choice. The HW50S is very easy to shoot accurately. I really like the idea of the size of the Hawke compact scope as well. There are good tune kits out for it as well anywhere from 7.5 foot pounds to 14+. Very good gun. The trigger is easily adjustable as well. JSB 14.35, H&N FTT, The New JSB Predator GTO's are very accurate in HW guns. I have never owned an HW that didn't shoot H&N FTT well.