• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First gun, have questions :)

bram

Dec 24, 2016
Hi everyone,

My name is Bram and I'm from Belgium. I have a couple of questions about my first airgun I'm looking to buy.
I've been looking around, and since this will be a fun, non competitive gun, I'm going for a replica pistol(co2? or not?), probably an Umarex (is this a good brand?).

I've did some research already, and figured out that pellet guns are usually more powerful then a BB gun, am I correct in this?
I've also found it rather hard to find a good, nice looking pellet gun that has blowback. 
My goal is to get one that feels and looks as accurate to the real thing as possible. With a good shooting power behind it, no airsoft, but really good for target shooting at a little higher distance. 

I've found 2 guns that have almost everything I want (I think) except for blowback. It's the Umarex Colt Government 1911 and the Umarex Beretta 92 FS.
Because I hear they feel close to the real thing, paired with good shooting power. I also saw the Umarex Magnum Research Dessert Eagle, which is high power and has blowback, but seems to have everything in plastic, and feels cheap, which is not what I want. 

Also why I chose Umarex, is because of good availability here in Belgium. 

Could you guys help me out with this, like comment on my choices, and maybe other suggestions? Even general info would be greatly appreciated . :)

Thanks already :)

Bram

Hi, Bram,
I don't have much experience with replica pistols, but I recommend you check out Pyramyd Air's video reviews on the different replica pistols. I'm not sure you can get blowback, power and accuracy in the same gun. Blowback uses energy that might propel the pellet or bb to move the slide. The Walther cp88 seems to be well regarded. 
Good luck and have fun!
John

Umarex has a nice line of real type air pistols I hear their c96 type is a sweet one with full auto but most all are bb and few blowback if you want a low price then go with Umarex my walther cp99 is a nice paper puncher and that's it.
If I was buy another air pistol I would save my penny's and get a Beeman p1 magnum if I can find one 22 cal.

Is blowback a requirement? Because you're wasting gas to make the slide go back. On a real gun, the slide moving back is using "free" energy and absorbing recoil that would normally go into one's arm.

Pellet guns aren't more powerful than BB guns. They shoot slower, because the projectiles are lighter, and BBs are also less accurate. To me, the look of blowback doesn't begin to approximate the real thing, because there's still no noise or recoil.

I looked at the two guns you are considering. They're probably the same internally, they are really revolvers with the cylinder (clip) hidden under the slide. So why not get a revolver like the Crosman 357 Vigilante. It costs only $50 or so, and will shoot just as well as the blow-back pistols, without wasting CO2 on blowback action.

BUT...

If you must have the auto pistol and blowback, either the Colt 1911 or Beretta 92FS would be about as good as you can get, I think.