First Groundhog this season

I had seen this guy about 3 weeks ago run through my backyard, so I've been on the lookout since. Last year I had a serious problem with a family of groundhogs eating and destroying my perennial flower garden but I eliminated every one of them. Can't say I was too surprised to see one again this spring as they have always been an issue around my area.

Yesterday he made the grave mistake of coming through my yard to check on his perennial buffet, I made sure it was his last visit. 25 caliber Maverick slinging 34gr FX pellets at 915fps, head shot at 40yds. Immediate lights out. Gave him a follow up shot just to make sure he was done. My guess is he won't be the last one this season, let the games begin.

20230508_145405.jpg

I had seen this guy about 3 weeks ago run through my backyard, so I've been on the lookout since. Last year I had a serious problem with a family of groundhogs eating and destroying my perennial flower garden but I eliminated every one of them. Can't say I was too surprised to see one again this spring as they have always been an issue around my area.

Yesterday he made the grave mistake of coming through my yard to check on his perennial buffet, I made sure it was his last visit. 25 caliber Maverick slinging 34gr FX pellets at 915fps, head shot at 40yds. Immediate lights out. Gave him a follow up shot just to make sure he was done. My guess is he won't be the last one this season, let the games begin.

View attachment 355146
Beautiful pelt.

There are two down in my lower field, they have been pretty elusive though, every damn time I see one I don’t have my rifle and when I sneak in to get it, poof! It’s gone lol

They can be extremely tough to get a shot opportunity at times, very nervous and always on the lookout. Can be part of the fun, or very frustrating depending how you look at it.

Reactions: HubenK1Sniper92