• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

First FT match: What do you need to bring?

I use a pair of Bog Pod shooting sticks.
A lot of shooters use the Primos trigger sticks because you can squeeze the trigger on them and the legs release to drop down. I too have tried those but because you can cant them easily and sometimes undesirably, I sold them. You can modify them so the cant ability is eliminated but I didn’t see the benefit of just the legs dropping out.

The most important thing to bring to the match is a “I’m gonna have fun” attitude because it is. It’s a great learning experience and the camaraderie will be over the top. You’re going to come back and tell all your friends they need to buy a rig and join in on this great sport.

Be sure to report back on your first experience as we all would like to hear how much fun you had.

Sqwirl, I read that thread earlier this morning and concluded that I would need a full set of Samsonite luggage to pack all of the stuff.
--Just kidding of course! I am guessing that some folks just carry their stuff in the five-gallon bucket they with on with a padded seat or swivel seat -- although the swivel might introduce unwanted instability. I already have an adequate supply of instability, and I always have it with me. 😄
Dave, I might be dreaming to have a rifle set up for next Saturday's match in Boerne, but should be good to go on the 22nd at Arlington if everything comes together. Heck, my rifle won't arrive from the Netherlands until Monday. Still have to settle on and mount a scope, break in the rifle an d then work on the parallax wheel ranging data points.

A lot of guys use the plastic foldup stools instead of buckets (search amazon for folding step stool, the ones that look like a milk crate). The bog pods are more stable but are slower to adjust for high shots. The trigger sticks are floppy and annoying, but are widely used.
Send me a DM and I can bring a set of each sticks and a folding stool to Arlington for you to try at the next match.

Reactions: Billinoregon
Sqwirl, I read that thread earlier this morning and concluded that I would need a full set of Samsonite luggage to pack all of the stuff.
--Just kidding of course! I am guessing that some folks just carry their stuff in the five-gallon bucket they with on with a padded seat or swivel seat -- although the swivel might introduce unwanted instability. I already have an adequate supply of instability, and I always have it with me. 😄
Dave, I might be dreaming to have a rifle set up for next Saturday's match in Boerne, but should be good to go on the 22nd at Arlington if everything comes together. Heck, my rifle won't arrive from the Netherlands until Monday. Still have to settle on and mount a scope, break in the rifle an d then work on the parallax wheel ranging data points.
Most of the stuff on the list stays in my truck in a shooting bag. Its more of a "just in case" kind of thing. I shoot WFTF so all I actually carry on me is my gun, pellets, notepad, pen, and my phone.

Sounds like you have it pretty well covered! I suggest any new FT shooter might contact the Match Director of the host club where you will be shooting the match and let them know you are a first time FT shooter and will be attending. Clubs and MD’s are known to go above and beyond to help new shooters learn the ropes and are always a great local resource for info. Sometimes local site rules are different too, such as eye protection requirements and match fees. Best of luck and have fun!!

Reactions: Billinoregon
Reactions: JP806TX
1st match .... Seat and shooting sticks.

HAVE FUN ... watch and ask questions ... Have more fun giggling about watching paddles wiggle & sure you hit target w/o them falling.

Honestly 1st time on a FT course do not take yourself too serious as you have tons of stuff to learn and a personal technique in shooting the game your yet to figure out.

Scott S

Last edited:
For me, the bare minimum for hunter class is:
- Pellets in a handy carrying device. I have a couple of those crosman belt pouches that work nicely. Others use the pellet pouch that hangs like a necklace. I've also kept them in a jacket pocket but I try to not do that.
- A gun case that you can carry with you. It's a requirement for safety reasons that your rifle be carried in a caddy or soft sided case during the relay.
- The gun, obviously.
- A 5-gal bucket with lid or padded seat top for hunter.
- Cross-sticks are very helpful. For shooting springer I wrap the yoke with a small hand towel and zip-tie it into place. This softens the contact with the gunstock.
- Notecard or other place where you've worked out your dope / holdover. I trust you have a reticle with holdover-capable markings.
- Your scope, with parallax markings worked out from 10-55y. This subject goes deep, with nautlus wheels, pointers, etc but let's be clear - the numbers on your dial will not help much.
- Sunscreen, water, snacks, etc.

That's actually it.

Regarding Pellet Pouches

I remember spilling a tin of my pellets all over the ground during a match.
I guess experience is the best teacher.
I think I was told numerous times to use a pellet pouch and not to use pellets from the tin in a match. (I know...I'm stubborn and pig headed)
All it took was one time.
The next day I went shopping for pellet pouches. I still remember blowing dirt and brushing sand away from my pellets as I closely inspect them prior to loading for the remainder of the match.

Last edited:
I use a pair of Bog Pod shooting sticks.
A lot of shooters use the Primos trigger sticks because you can squeeze the trigger on them and the legs release to drop down. I too have tried those but because you can cant them easily and sometimes undesirably, I sold them. You can modify them so the cant ability is eliminated but I didn’t see the benefit of just the legs dropping out.

The most important thing to bring to the match is a “I’m gonna have fun” attitude because it is. It’s a great learning experience and the camaraderie will be over the top. You’re going to come back and tell all your friends they need to buy a rig and join in on this great sport.

Be sure to report back on your first experience as we all would like to hear how much fun you had.
I found a cure for the “ canting “ issue associated with Primos Trigger Sticks. A large hose clamp around the pivot points, just below the grip. Tighten it up, trim the excess, no more problem. John

I'll be making a debut here before too long with an HW97K for hunter piston. Never been to a match -- just watched some on Youtube. Sooo, in addition to hat, sunscreen, water and snacks -- a bucket to sit on and a pair of cross sticks?
Any guidance on cross-sticks beyond "you can't stick them into the ground"?
A suggestion… depending on how tall you are, a 5 gal bucket may be taller than ideal. It’s nice to be able to comfortably rest/ brace elbows on knees/ thighs. At 5’9”..Ive found a much shorter seat works better. Try a few different heights before heading out to the match. John

John, I compared sitting on a 5-gallon bucket to sitting at lower heights and you are absolutely correct about the 5-gal being too tall for me. At 70, and with four back surgeries, I have shrunk from 5'10" to 5'8". 😄
For the bipod, I ordered a brand I hadn't heard of from the Zon: Trakiom. I don't mind being a Beta tester ...
Im in the same boat…lower back surgery limits bending. I saw a fellow at the Cajun Classic with wire ties looped back on itself , one taped to each leg of his bipod. This allowed him to set the target strings within easy reach one on each side. Sure beats bending over while trying to manage the rifle/bipod. Good luck! Have fun! John