• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First Focal Plane Scope Owners

A ffp scope that has a 50 yd min parallax isnt going to be any different than a second focal plane scope with a 50 yd minimum parallax. Being ffp or second has nothing to do with parallax. There are some scopes that do focus closer than their stated minimum on the lowest power setting but thats going to be hit or miss if they actually do. It will also be a guess at how much closer it will actually be parallax free.

Thanks guys and thanks LDP because I've got my eye on a Vortex Viper which is a minimum paralex of 50 yards. Ted of 'Teds Holdover' reported that the image is clear at 10 yards, and as a PCP airgun user I was hoping I could use one on targets from 15-60 yards. People are telling me to find another scope that does, but I have my heart set on the Vortex with the XLR / EBR-2C reticle which are out of this world, but like most reticles of this kind tend to be on high powered rifles with a minimum paralex of 50 yards and this is why I put a post up recently if it were possible to alter the paralex to a shorter range than 50 yards.

Limey I have been wondering the same thing. I seem to recall hearing somewhere that it may be possible to have at least some scopes adjusted for this. Maybe someone here knows? I have been researching higher power FFP scopes for my RAW HM1000x .25 for 100 plus yard use. The only higher power scope that I can find (that's under $1,200) that works at air gun ranges is the Falcon 5.5-25x50 and 56 models. I have the 50 version with illuminated B20 reticle. I really want to like this scope but it is hard to get behind. It's very unforgiving of eye placement. I can make it work but my wife hates it. Now the Primary Arms is great! I have no problem recommending it. In fact it keeps up with the SWFA 3-9x42 in performance but may not be as tough though that is not really an issue with PCP's. If you could live with the lower power 4-14 and like the ranging reticles they have just released a new version with their R-Grid reticle: http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44-ffp-scope-with-patent-pending-r-grid-reticle-eta-nov-2015/p/kt-pa4-14xffp-r-grid/ I'm going to get one soon as I like the scope that much! In fact that scope gets a lot of love on this forum if you do a search.
I have been looking at the Vortex as well as the Bushnell 6-24 Elite Tactical and the Burris XTR2 5-25x50 34mm line but again 50 yards paralax. The SWFA HD5-20x50: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51653.aspx goes down to 35 yards (could we live with that?) Personally I want an illuminated reticle. So unless one of those can be adjusted I may have to settle for a 4-14 range in an FFP scope.

"Limey71"Thanks guys and thanks LDP because I've got my eye on a Vortex Viper which is a minimum paralex of 50 yards. Ted of 'Teds Holdover' reported that the image is clear at 10 yards, and as a PCP airgun user I was hoping I could use one on targets from 15-60 yards. People are telling me to find another scope that does, but I have my heart set on the Vortex with the XLR / EBR-2C reticle which are out of this world, but like most reticles of this kind tend to be on high powered rifles with a minimum paralex of 50 yards and this is why I put a post up recently if it were possible to alter the paralex to a shorter range than 50 yards.
The only reference I have seen from Ted on the vortex was the one he has in a video on his bobcat. I remember him talking about the 50 yd parallax but he said it wasnt a problem cause he only shot 50+ yards with the bobcat. Might have to shoot him a question and see what he has to say about using the vortex and how it performs under 50 yds.

Yes, I've seen the Bobcat video, but the reference I was making was a quote he made when he went to Vortex Optics for his quest to find the ultimate Christmas tree reticle. Its not a youtube video but if you Google Teds holdover, its in there. If you could ask Ted how close you can shoot within 50 yards, I would appreciate that as he's the only one I've seen using this type of scope on a pcp airgun

Here is the link for those others wanting Ted's thoughts on Vortex including FFP's. Not the video but I think it quite illuminating as are all of Ted's contributions.

http://www.tedsholdover.com/2013/10/13/my-trip-to-vortex-optics/

Looks like that was posted on or about the year 2013 so it's its all but a certainty their exist newer offerings since his written review. 

Rock 

Rock vortex still uses the 50 yd minimum parallax on all their scopes except their cheapest lines. I dont know why they dont offer it in their mid priced and up scopes. Based on Teds experience it sounds like the scope is usable under 50 yds if you use the lower power. So for guys who dont mind using the lower power for closer shots it should be fine. We may have a vortex or two here at my work If we do I will see how they look. 

"LDP"Rock vortex still uses the 50 yd minimum parallax on all their scopes except their cheapest lines. I dont know why they dont offer it in their mid priced and up scopes. Based on Teds experience it sounds like the scope is usable under 50 yds if you use the lower power. So for guys who dont mind using the lower power for closer shots it should be fine. We may have a vortex or two here at my work If we do I will see how they look.
Yes, so I noticed and thank you, LDP. I wasn't necessarily limiting newer choices to Vortex, but I wasn't clear about that. So many choices and I'm currently considering an alternative to my unused tactical Hawke sidewinder for my Impact which has yet to arrive. Love the scope but thinking there might a lighter alternative with a slightly smaller footprint. Naturally, I want it all in new scope (FFP or not) so I think my expectations may well be out of line even if I went with a really high end $$ scope. 

If I needed a scope and wanted ffp and it was going on a pcp that I knew would be used no closer than 30 yds I would seriously consider a vortex. I work for a company that is a vortex dealer. Having vortex scopes at the price thats available to me would allow me to get a vortex far superior in my opinion than a hawke sidewinder. The only hang up is the parallax adjustment.

LDP
If you work for a company that is a Vortex dealer, can you get like a discount on their scopes. If so then your my new best friend!
Over here in the UK, the two main vortex dealers are out of stock on a lot of vortex scopes, and are waiting for you guys to send some more over as there's a lot of guys including myself on the waiting list of these ever growing popular scopes. The new Gen 2 HD 4.5-27x56 is my dream scope with its EBR-2C MRAD reticle, but until I have $3000 to spare it looks like I'll have to settle with the Viper PST 6-24x50 for now

Yes just like anything else or product I get a discount unless there is a stipulation within contracts that does not allow it. Vortex scopes seem to be fairly easy to get here but I know of a few models that we recently tried to order that were out of stock. So it may be that vortex is playing catchup to orders due to high demand. I dont know how they handle other markets or what has priority. I wonder if they will have anything new & significant at shot show.