First edition Crosman Powermaster 760

Just inherited this Crosman powermaster 760. It has the ribbed forestock...brass bolt and trigger and is very nice condition and shoots. My dilemma is dating it. I know thru research that it was made 1966-70. And I learned that the serial number is stamped on the barrel ring and should contain 3 numbers? example is 168 which would be Jan. of 1968. My problem is mine is stamped with a 10. Just a 10....any ideas anyone? And does anyone know of the value of the gun? Thanks in advance...Bob

20231005_160931.jpg

20231005_161008.jpg

Image_1696626055653.jpg

That's a nice one!

Is the wood on the stock tang square or round? The earliest ones were square but they broke a lot so they made them round soon after. Does it have a dove-tail on top of the receiver for a scope?

I believe that the 1 0 that you reference would mean January of 1970. More pics please. We'll pin it down.

The 1972 Revelation that I have cost me $45, so they're not worth a lot. (But the memories of shooting one like it with my brother are beyond price.)

J~

Last edited:
Reactions: bf1956
I paid $80+ shipping for a wood stocked Crossman 761XL which is basically a gold plated metal receiver Crossman 761. It was listed as leaking air and needing a reseal kit. Reseal kit was also include. I think I got a bargain. Yours looks in better shape. If I had the money, I would give you $125 for it if it held air. I found a gun like yours that sold on Ebay for $130 plus shipping in Sept 2023. However could not tell if it leaked.

Reactions: Treefrog
My first airgun was a Crosman 760. Once I demonstrated to my Dad that I could be safe and responsible with guns, he gave me permission to buy the 760. Mowed lawns and delivered papers all summer, and bought it from the Western Auto store in town. This was the 70's, and the rifle had the metal receiver, and came with the wood colored plastic stocks. Local small airfield used to pay me a quarter apiece to keep the hangar clear of pigeons. Good times.

I think I have the exact same gun! My problem is there is no sign of the serial number. I even suspected the receiver had been painted and scraped the paint only to find nothing. I didn’t know there could be a number on the barrel ring, but I can’t make anything out on there either. Crosman needs the serial number in order to give me the correct parts list. Any ideas?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: JDR
I have two, both with plastic furniture both older rifles. The first belonged to one of my brothers and many years later wouldn’t hold air. I had it rebuilt but now it will only shoot bb’s but won’t feed pellets and we can’t figure out why. The second I got from a friend who wore it out keeping a barn as pigeon free as possible. I got that one rebuilt also and it performs flawlessly. That friend also has some sort of commemorative edition 760 in a silver finish but I don’t believe it’s ever been shot. He won’t let me talk him out of that one. Yet….😇

Rick H.

Reactions: Treefrog