First deer with aea .357

Went hunting on our new property for opening day of modern gun season. We’ve leased the property for many years but finally got the option to buy and we jumped because we’ve worked and watched the deer herd all year every year and know what kind of deer it keeps year after year. Lots of giant squirrels to go after also. I’m actually watching a buck on another permission so I went out with the intent of hopefully shooting a doe and spending opening day hunting with my dad. He just retired this year and is getting to hunt more than ever. I normally hunt deer with my powerhouse bulldog but decided to give my new to me aea hp max .357 a shot. I walked in from behind the stand I’d chosen for the day and climbed in to get ready for the challenge of staying awake while watching the tree lines and field for deer. The only thing I dislike about opening weekend for modern gun season is that squirrel are off limits for those two days and of course I see a gazillion both days each year. Pretty sure they have the schedule. As I sit in my stand and play with my phone constantly scanning the areas I’ve seen deer before I see a lone doe walking in front of the tree line to my right at the edge of the field. She’s about 90 yards out when I spot her so I slowly gather up my rifle and get into position while hoping she continues towards me for a sub 50 yard shot. I get my wish but she’s staying just tight enough to the trees to keep me from having an easy shot. I look ahead on her path and see a nice wide shooting lane to take my shot. It’s about 35 yards and downhill 15-20 feet plus the height of the stand. I know where to aim and anxiously wait for my moment. As she steps into the lane I confidently squeeze the trigger and hear the rifle first immediately followed by the unmistakable sound of soft lead on meat impact. I see her front legs go straight and know by her reaction along with the sound of impact that I’d hit my mark. I’m watching her as I cock my rifle for a follow up shot if needed. She slowly walked 8-10 yards before stopping and falling backwards. The excitement and adrenaline all hit at once as I sat in the stand giving time to make sure she’s done. Goal accomplished. Another season with another deer taken by air rifle. I’m lucky in so many ways.
IMG_7881.jpeg

And now to go after the buck I’ve been studying (dreaming about) with my bulldog. I’ve got two weekends to get it done. A little less stress when you’ve already got meat in the freezer though
IMG_7856.png

@GeronimoKY Thanks for sharing your hunt with us and congratulations!! I’m excited for you. Where did you aim and hit the doe? What type of projectile did you hit her with? What type of scope is on your AEA? Now it’s time to get that buck!!

I haven’t had time to get out and deer hunt since the start of the season. I’m hoping that changes today and tomorrow.

@GeronimoKY , Congratulations on your deer.
@Ezana4CE , If you have a decent size computer screen, your question on shot location is very nearly given by his description of the shot and the large picture he posted which is shrunk in size on the screen unless you click on it. Deer was travelling from his right to left, so deer is laying on the side presented to the shooter. Deer was nearly broadside, geronimo didn't say if it was slightly quartering too or away at shot. Exit hole is very near center of the bottom of deer's chest, color of blood is probably/maybe off due to camera white balance? Here is a full size crop of exit.

tempdeer.jpg

Reactions: GeronimoKY
Thanks everyone! Good detective work on solving one of the questions for me. I shot her at a steep downward angle and caught one lung and the heart before exiting the bottom of her chest. I was shooting a slug I got years ago for my recluse from a guy on eBay. I think they’re around 100 grains. I wish the mag would cycle the heavier slugs I use with my bulldog but no such luck. The scope is a 3x12 bug buster. Haven’t seen the buck I’m after yet today but the smaller ones and the does are moving so I’m remaining hopeful. Did limit out on squirrels while waiting today so it’s not a total loss if he doesn’t show. I’ll start another thread about them. And for those on the fence about larger game with air rifles here are a few pictures of my success from the last few years.
IMG_1311.jpeg
IMG_0673.jpeg
IMG_2939.jpeg
IMG_3073.jpeg
IMG_6680.jpeg

Last years buck was tiny for an eight pointer but it was the last day and is already made my mind up to shoot anything 8 and up