• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First Coyote with My Truck Gun

Hey Guys,

My first Coyote! I decided to go out in 18F weather with my New AEA HP MAX in .357. Right from the start, I started seeing signs of Coyote. I notice they had been feeding on a deer carcass and I saw many sets tracks on the creek bottom.

Since I had a light & close range gun, I wanted to find the den and sit at the mouth of it until one stuck its head out. So, I tracked I coyote to a steep rock face over a 45 degree angle. I figured the den was close by, but I felt it was getting too dangerous. I did not was to risk a fall or a broken ankle so I tried to find a den at lower elevations. After a couple hours, I gave up and decided to head down to the creek again and call one in at dusk. After a much longer time seting up than expected I was ready to go.

With the sun setting at my back, wind from 4-10 o'clock 3-4mph, after 20min of calling, I saw something on the ridge. I activated my camera, but nothing showed. I search for thr movement again but saw nothing, so I shut off the camera.

After 30 seconds, boom, a coyote ran up to the call at full speed. I tuned the camera on, hit record. and tried to zoom but my cold fingers did not activate the zoom. I decided to shoot anyway (I figured the small picture could be manually zoom up later). I hit the coyote in the lower neck or chest. It dropped immediately and racked another round but the magazine shattered in the cold. I took the mag out and the pellets fell to the snow. I pick one pellet out of the snow, and reloaded. This time my fingers were able to zoom the screen in the phone, so I put another shot into it.

All in all, it was successful, but the first shot was not captured due the camera unable to adjust to the small screen. No regrets, just happy I got the coyote

https://youtu.be/OP3g3K502gE

@Davidsng Now THAT’S a hunting story. From the tracking to calling it in. I love it!! Especially the part about the mag shattering and having to pick up a pellet from the snow with cold fingers in order to take a follow up shot. I’m waiting to see the video. How’s the AEA compare to the modded Bulldog?

Bulldog and MAX are 2 diff animals. Bulldog is better for long range. Up to 150yards, this one about 80yards only, but it is more ergonomic 

Oh sorry! Forgot the link

@Davidsng That sucks about the camera. What camera did you run on that rig? Why did it look as if we were staring down a tube in the video at first? All-in-all I’m glad to see you bagged him. Do you have any pics of the broken mag? I’ve never seen a mag shattered from cold temps. Have you considered reaching out to Darko at CARM for aftermarket mags? If not, here’s some contact info https://www.carm-magazines.com/contact.aspx 
I really don’t know how his materials hold up to frigid temps, but it may be worth asking about. I don’t see any AEA mags on his site at the moment. 

Thanks for sharing the video. I enjoyed the landscape, the tracking, the remnants of the deer carcass, and the little that we could see around the follow-up shot. Nice camo coveralls - I’m not sure what to call them. Oh and another thing - THAT WAS A DAMN GOOD SHOT!! I don’t know if people can appreciate the fact that you did that with a pellet, but if you know anything about dog hunting/pesting, canēs are pretty hardy animals. That neck shot was impressive. After looking at the specs of your gun, I can better understand the differences between the two. 

Thanks Guys,

8thman, Squirrel getter, 6600, Crittahitta, EMU, Sigamander, Flintsack, & Ezana4CE,

Yea, I was great to finally get one. It was a bumber I got no footage. I was trying to zoom-in which fixes the camera but my fingers were not working. The coyote was running up at full speed so, I did not want to miss the opportunity. So, I thought the footage was going to be small but I could zoom-in when I edited it. But, I was all washed out. I'm going to be out a lot more this winter, hopefully I can fixed the issues. I got the J7 phone on my sideshot. Cheap camera but it works with the side shot. I current looking at somewhere to get a magazine. I'll find one and keep this gun. It's a very unique piece. I have it tuned to shoot at 230 bar with 830fps, 840fps, and 825fps for three really good shots at approx 120fpe. 

I did not pick the mag out snow to see what was actually wrong with it. I was too busy with the coyote. But, it either broke from me cocking to rough with the adrenaline pumping, or from me bumping it trying crawl up the steep hill, or from the gun's recoil on the first shot. From what I remember is that the clear plastic was in pieces pieces and the pellets were falling out.

@Davidsng Now THAT’S a hunting story. From the tracking to calling it in. I love it!! Especially the part about the mag shattering and having to pick up a pellet from the snow with cold fingers in order to take a follow up shot. I’m waiting to see the video. How’s the AEA compare to the modded Bulldog?

Bulldog and MAX are 2 diff animals. Bulldog is better for long range. Up to 150yards, this one about 80yards only, but it is more ergonomic 

Oh sorry! Forgot the link

That's why I sold my AEA HPBP .25. Not worth the savings.