• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

First bullpup. Which should it be, Cricket 2, Argus 45 or Wildcat mk3 compact?

Hi all,

I'm about to buy my first bullpup. Mostly to shoot at my backyard. Pest and target. Gun needs to be accurate and reliable. Of course. I also prefer side lever and compact size. So these three are my finalists. For some reason Kalibrgun feels more like my brand, but how is it as default? I mean do you usually need lot of adjusting with these guns? I am not against for doing some work with the gun at some point, but it would be great if I could just start shooting the gun right away. And maybe after while, when I'll get familiar with the gun and would like to have fine tuning as an option to get some extra performance.

I have understood that with these it is mostly about your personal taste so because it would be my first PCP or bullpup, i don't really know my taste. I even thought that it would be wise to buy some budget gun first like Hatsan or Artemis M40 to get some experience first. But i also think that in many cases it is "cheaper" to buy quality so I don't know about budget guns. It's unreasonably hard to make a decision. Please, feel free to push me over the edge.

Thank you and sorry about typos.

IMG_0302.1631738183.JPEG
The best Bullpup out there IMHO are the Weihrauch .22 or .177 long barrel or carbine. I have both .22 and .177 in the long barrel and they are quality German engineering and will both shoot near one hole groups at 36 yards. The silencers are the best on the market.

I was looking at the Wildcat MK3, but after looking closer at what's out there, I settled on the Maverick compact. You're getting a lot of Impact features for not too much more than the Wildcat. Definitely worth it IMO. My uses are exactly the same as yours. I'm very happy with the purchase. Dual reg and huge plenum give you so much power at comparatively low pressures. I'm shooting 18.1gr at 960 FPS giving me ~37 FPE at 115 bar on the second reg. Haven't tuned it farther, but it's got MUCH more in it.

Thank you for your replies.

I am sure that Weihrauch, Maverick compact and Cricket 2 Tactical are all very good options and even thought that tactical appearance might be a little too much for me, I have to admit that those dual regulators in Maverick or all the little upgrades in Cricket 2 tactical sounds pretty damn good.

But now I am thinking that cricket 2 tactical is only couple of hundreds from Huben K1. And that's a really nice gun too.. I'll think I am going to set the prize top to Cricket 2 Tactical.

Now I am bouncing between Argus 45 and Cricket tactical (0.22).

The wildcat is a nice gun , however , if your leaning is to rock solid build , you can't go wrong with the cricket 2 or argus 45 . I know kalibregun are built like tanks and I'm pretty sure the argus follows that style. The wildcat operates smooth , but , does not deal with being bumped as well. From the "feel" I'm getting from your original post , I would steer you to either the cricket or argus.

I just bought a used Cricket II. I think that I actually enjoy shooting it more than my Cricket II Tactical (600) at the moment.

I have had Wildcats of both the Mk2 and Mk3 flavors and they were good guns. But I sold all of those off and the Cricket II seems like a keeper to me. And I think that it gets more shots per fill than the Wildcats did.

You talk about wanting to shoot it right out of the box and not have to do a lot of adjusting. That sounds to me very much like what you get when you purchase a Cricket II (or Argus, or Uragan, etc.) through Charlie Frear of Georgia Airguns. The first owner of my new-to-me Cricket II says he got it from Charlie, and never messed with it. I got it from that first owner and it shoots so great that I'm not going to mess with it either. You just have to let Charlie know your intended use & requirements, and your pellet of choice (or listen to his recommendations). I think that this would be the way to go for you.

Roughly what is the trigger pull on the cricket 2? I too am looking for a small bull pup but I need the light trigger.

Mine is 1# 1oz, average of 3 pulls. It is a used gun which I just got last weekend. I haven't tried to adjust the trigger at all - I really don't even notice it when shooting. Very broad, smooth trigger face. A pleasure to shoot.

+1 for the Taipan Veteran compact. I know it’s not on your list of options, but it is a really solid choice, as well. You’re not going to find one much more compact and the trigger is really great. 

I just picked up a .22 Veteran long and am really pleased with the accuracy, noise level (even without a suppressor), and the simplicity of the design. If you want to do a little tweaking down the road, the hammer spring adjuster is easily accessible from the back.