First Blush Vortex 3X9 40 BDC scope.

I recently snagged my first PCP (Benjamin Maximus). I wanted a bit better optics than what was rattling around in the closet. I spent about an hour looking through the scopes at some local shops and compared scopes in the $100 to $200 range. None of the scopes in the price range were perfect. All of them had limitations which made them less than ideal; but then, for sub $200 what would you expect. There was one compact scope which seemed slightly better, but it looked like it might have problems straddling the pellet loading area while being placed for the proper eye relief, so it was ruled out. I found one NIkon in the price range, but it only had a plain reticle; performing holdover shooting would likely be more difficult with it. The Nikon did have slightly clearer optics. Like many economy scopes, at higher magnification the target could not be brought into sharp focus at 50 feet by the Vortex scope. In all fairness, I don't shoot at 9X magnification at short distances; this was not a major detractor. The tube is a 1 inch tube, I normally prefer 30mm tubes, but brightness did not appear to overly suffer. The length is 12 inches. The mounts used raised the scope 1/2 inch (which seemed a bit short be sold as "high" mounts). The rear sight had to be removed to clear the 40mm objective. Overall, the scope has performed well. On cheaper scopes previously used, the 1/4" MOA clicks seemed to be more of a "serving suggestion". On this scope, I fired two shots (which were very low and very left) calculated the clicks needed to get to center of the target, turned them the expected amount, and it was in the bullseye. It didn't hurt the local shop had this scope on special for $150, down from the $199 normal price and the suggested price of $269 from the manufacturer. These scopes carry an unlimited (no receipt needed) lifetime warranty.