• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First Blood With a Thermal Scope

The other night I went coyote hunting with a powder-burner but they weren't cooperating. The mice and rats were frolicking in the darkness in the field that I was next to. So I got out the TalonSS with a Burris Thermal scope.

I got 8 mice and one rat in rather short succession. I was hoping to use the thermal optics to locate them and gather them for the usual trophy photos. However, their little bodies cool off so fast that I wasn't able to locate most of them.

Attached are some photos. The first two photos of dead mice taken with the Burris thermal monocular before their bodies could cool off.

Dead Mice.1640527170.jpeg

Dead Mouse.1640527170.jpeg

Mice and TalonSS 1.1640527200.jpg

Mice and TalonSS 2.1640527201.jpg

The last photo is rather interesting considering that you cannot see any rodent. This picture is of some pipes laying beside a barn. A mouse or rat ran inside the pipe to hide. Notice the white spot on the pipe in the photo. That's the heat signature from the little creature inside. I thought about sticking the muzzle in one end of the pipe and shooting but decided to give the little bugger a sporting chance.

Mouse Hiding in Steel Pipe 1.1640527235.jpeg

After I put the air rifle away, some mice and rats decided to come back out and play. Here's a link to one of the videos of a mouse scurrying about. It's no wonder that I had more misses than hits.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12g-WRryfkJrXe9aCyCvoXPEilXJ6436U/view

The TalonTunes silencer really quiets the gun down. It's so quiet that the mice don't know they've been shot at even when I miss and they don't realize that death is seconds away with a subsequent shot.

Don't tell my friends that drive big pickup trucks, chew tobacco and drink straight whiskey that I had more fun shooting mice than hunting coyotes.

There is nothing like hunting with a thermal scope! Are they expensive? Hell yes, but worth every penny!

Well, I'm trying to go coyote hunting with an airgun with a thermal. Wish me and my Bulldogs luck!

20211225_215437.1640529792.jpg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E
20210906_173800.1640529793.jpg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

That's a nice setup. Are your ATN units waterproofed? I saw that some ATN products were waterproof and some weren't.

That was the deal breaker for me and why I went for the Burris thermal scopes.

What I like about your setup is the ability to use the regular scope rings.

Good luck.

That's a nice setup. Are your ATN units waterproofed? I saw that some ATN products were waterproof and some weren't.

That was the deal breaker for me and why I went for the Burris thermal scopes.

What I like about your setup is the ability to use the regular scope rings.

Good luck.

The ATN scopes are water resistant, but not as good as standards proof IP-67 .