First Blood-Vulcan 3 and Uragan 2

Morning coffee was interrupted by a terrible racket out back, seems a few dozen crows were trying to convince a newly arrived Redtail Hawk that his presence was unwelcome. The Redtail landed in a large pine not 35 yards from my porch with crows mobbing from all directions. Not having seen a crow closer than 130 yards to my property in the past few months, I was amazed at the sight, quickly grabbing the Uragan 2 .30 and dispatching one, then realized I'd broken Cardinal Rule #1 (Thou Shalt Keep a Full Mag) and was out. Slipped into Gun Room and grabbed Vulcan 3 .30, sending two more to the hereafter. Redtail calmly remained in place,
IMG_20230317_122232.jpg
watching crows tumble, action eventually moving on when crows realized they had bigger problems than an unwelcome hawk. Heck of a Morning, WM

Great shooting and I'm sure the redtail was thankful for your intervention! Nice pic, beautiful Uragan! Did the hawk use your crow buffet!?
Thanks, Redtail is a recent newcomer, haven't seen the Coopers Hawk, that enjoyed so many free meals, for some time. After picture placed crows at a trail clearing some 40-yards from the house, saw the Redtail eyeing them but eventually he flew away. Hour, or so, later one crow is gone, have no idea where, other two remain. Turkey Buzzards, fox, possum and racoons will make sure nothing but black feathers remain. WM

Update:
Eight thirty AM another raucous screaming match between crows and Redtail disrupted coffee. Same tree, same participants, same outcome, Uragan 2 claiming three before crows fled. (Two victims tumbling down while third slow glided out of the area.) Hour later was only able to collect one, the other missing, just like day before. Mystified why Redtail repeated this performance until I saw this on my 66-yard target, about 45-yards from shooting scene. Guess Redtail lures crows in knowing I'll take a few, then enjoys the meal. Works for me!
IMG_20230318_161552.jpg
WM

That one is permanently grounded!
If you notice, he's hung up on the two long Phillips-head screws I hang my targets on, one under wing, other by ribcage. Next day, all was gone, like nothing was ever there, glad I got a picture. Every day since the Redtail hangs in that pine, calling his head off. Crows, however, aren't falling for it, guess they figure six lost comrades is enough. WM

Reactions: JPayne6128
@WorriedMan That’s nuts! Smart hawk. On the first day we’re you picking them off mid-flight?
EZ,
Crows were everywhere, in-flight, same tree as Redtail and next pine over. He had them in a frenzy, so worked up and laser-focused, took them awhile to realize there was a sniper at work. I slowly swung porch door open, steadied gun on inside door frame with drapes closed behind, they never noticed. One tree @ 25 yards, other @ 35, easy pickings for the U2 and V3, both sighted @ 50. Fast and furious, both days, back to normal now. WM