First black squirrel

Got my first black squirrel this morning. Saw him run up about 15' into a pine tree, run around the back side but then peeked only his head out to the side. Bad choice on his part. Nailed him from 25 yards with my Diana 34 .22 15.89 JSB pellet. Dropped like a rock, did a little dance and done. Got three squirrels overall this morning. Gotta keep at it as I'm not letting them back in my 2 acre no squirrel zone. Destructive little buggers that they are.

1540570134_14583241705bd33c16b656c9.59340639_BlackSquirrelKill.jpg

Could be bad camera setting. Much more black on the top of his tail, back and top of head although not deep black like your photo. I looked through a lot of black squirrel images on Google and determined it to be a black squirrel. 

From Wikipedia: If a black squirrel has two copies of the mutant gene it will be jet black. If it has one copy of a mutant gene and one normal gene it will be brown-black

Outdoorsman, where do you live or where do you have these black squirrels running around? I live in Nor Cal, all we have is gray squirrels and digger squirrels. I've never even seen a black squirrel.

Dark brown or black color phase, who really cares, it's all good! I've seen black bears out here in California that are light golden brown, dark brown, reddish brown, light beige, dark brown and even plain old black! There are many variations and most are not jet black like we think of with the stereotypical black bear. Whether it be squirrels, bears or humans, there's going to be every color/shade variant possible.

Have a great day! Stoti

Up in Canada where I am from originally there are TONS of pure black squirrels. I live in NC now and have only seen one or two, to the point that even my wife notices a black squirrel and mentions it. That one in the picture is not what we called black squirrels, but I am no expert on species of squirrel. Good shot either way I am sure. Wonder if they taste different.. lol.