• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First Alabama grays with the HW97K this season........

We finally had a hard frost down here a couple of weeks ago, which gave me the green light to start hunting. Today was the first afternoon that I found time for it due to long work hours. I loaded the truck up with the HW97 and a pouch of pellets and drove to my spot. I spent the first 30 minutes walking the field edges and ended up shooting the first one. He had a big ol nut in his mouth and stopped at the field edge contemplating when he was gonna make a run for it across the small field to the wood line opposite where he was. Very risky for a squirrel with hawks and such. I was able to make a clean head shot from a sitting position from a distance of roughly 30 yards while he was making up his mind.

IMG_0145.1638751047.jpg

After that I walked the wood line a bit further and then decided to enter the woods at a place that I love to sit and still hunt. I sat down on the old tree that has been my seat for the past 4-5 years and waited and listened. It was already getting late afternoon and I could hear several rummaging around on the ground for various nuts and such, mostly acorns. Right about the time I said to self.....its time to ease on out, I saw a nice one run across a fell tree and disappear on the ground somewhere around 50-60 yards away. I slowly walked that direction and about the time I had almost reached the edge of where the woods open up to the pasture, there he was about 20-25 yards away up in tree. I dropped to a knee, took aim, and shot. I heard that "thewapp!" sound and saw him fall to the ground. It was a short hunt and only netted a couple. But it was the first two with the HW97 of this season. Doesn't really matter if its two or ten though.........its about the most enjoyable thing I can imagine.

IMG_0150-1.1638751985.jpg

IMG_0147.1638752030.jpg

Can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon!

Thanks for lookin........TR

Well done and thanks for posting.

I am having to live vicariously through you and others for several more weeks. Just got a new rifle 2 days before having my right hand carpal tunnel surgery, so lifting restrictions in place. I am able to carry everything out to the porch with my left hand and shoot off rest. Look forward to getting the new rifle in the woods in East TN.

Sleeper192

Well done and thanks for posting.

I am having to live vicariously through you and others for several more weeks. Just got a new rifle 2 days before having my right hand carpal tunnel surgery, so lifting restrictions in place. I am able to carry everything out to the porch with my left hand and shoot off rest. Look forward to getting the new rifle in the woods in East TN.

Sleeper192

I feel bad for you Sleeper. Getting a new rifle and can't hunt with it.....oh man! Hopefully you recover quickly and can get that new rifle in the woods after some squirrels soon. Thanks for the reply! Take care.

I am still shopping for my first PCP gun. This has ramped up the process for sure.

Thanks for the comment Jason, but this HW97K is not a PCP. It is a fixed barrel springer.......whole different animal. I've killed a lot of game with this particular rifle. The day of this particular hunt was the first of this new season. I wish you luck in your purchase of a PCP. I have one of those as well....a Benjamin Marauder which is a very capable rifle for small game hunting as well. Good luck.