First airgun scope

Two Swift "Airgun" marked 1" tube models purchased decades ago. They sat on there for a long time, but they would not hold a zero on my RWS 54 springers. The clicks on the knobs were so soft I was never sure as to how much I dialed in unless I watched carefully.

They were both replaced with UTG Bugbusters which seem to be holding up well on the 54s. Both ended up on 22 Rimfire guns where the zero has been steady.

Don't know if this counts as "my first scope" — it was just a scope that came packaged with the gun — which I found at the very bottom of the bargain barrel.... 🤦🏻‍♂️

🟡 Optima 3-9x40 SFP
▪ Unmatched MIL reticle with MOA turrets: a common sin in the bargain barrel
▪ No parallax adjustment — NO PARALLAX, and it came with an AIRGUN!
At the time I had no idea how to even spell "parallax" when I bought it, let alone why it was important. But the manufacturer knew.... 😠

After I had started sliding down the first floor of our AG rabbit hole I began to read about scopes. Tom Gaylord, the "Godfather of Airguns" was the guy that instructed me in many ways through his articles.

I started to note down some things I was learning. And started to look for scopes that would be better than the junk that had been packaged with my rifle.

🟡 More notes on the specs of different scopes within my price range — the genesis of my Scope Specs Tables.... 😄
At the time I had 21 scopes listed, each with 8 specs. That Specs Table grew over the years to over 200 scopes. Each scope is listed with 23 specs.... (Rabbit hole? — Naah, more like crater....)

🟡 And finally my first REAL SCOPE PURCHASE — by my choice, not by the gun manufacturer's choice:
Leaper UTG True Hunter 6-24x50 SFP.
Cost me more than the rifle and the Optima scope together!! 🙄

🟡 8 months later I had arrived at the third floor of our rabbit hole — I had learned so much more about scopes that I found no less than 4 weaknesses and outright faults of my still new UTG 6-24x50. (And glass quality wasn't part of those 4.)

😊 It's been a fun journey/ slide. I admit, though, that I have stopped counting the floors as I make my merry way down the AG rabbit hole. I futile.

Matthias

First rifle back to shooting was a Hatsan Model 95 .25 cal that every review said the included Optima 3-9x32 scope was junk. Found out later packaged scopes usually are and included to make you think you're getting a good deal.
Scope I bought to replace it was a Hawke Vantage 4-12x50 AOIR. Still have the rifle and the scope 8 years later. Came to find out Hawke doesn't recommend them for rifles over 12fpe, but it still works as good as the day I mounted it and have never had any issues with it :)

Reactions: efem09
Mtc viper. Couldn't stand that piece of junk and ended up just giving it away. Will never buy junk like that again and will instead pay more for the good stuff. Buy once, cry once.
Curious what was wrong with it. I have an mtc viper pro 10x on my crown. Good scope as far as I can tell. It sure is an accurate starling sniper.