• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First Air Rifle

Hey Everyone!

I'm preparing for my first air rifle, and want to make sure I'm clear on a few things from the endless research I've been doing.
The area I live in is prone to prolonged power outages due to inclement weather, with opportunities for on-property pesting, so my needs are focused on prepping and survival more than competition shooting. 

I've got my eye on the fully tuned .22cal XS28-M from Flying Dragon, and also briefly considered the XS60C PCP for it's increased power and similar price point, but the need for the pump turned me off to the idea.. although I'm still a touch on the fence about that. For now, I'm preparing and researching break barrels since the purchase will more likely be the XS28-M.

Maintenance:
Will a fully tuned rifle from Mike @ Flying Dragon need any additional prep work when I unbox it? Does it need to be stripped and cleaned?
Also, I've read everything from "Never clean your air rifle, and only lube it once a year." to "Add a drop of oil for every one to three shots." I'm sure a lot depends on the specific rifle. Any input on maintenance for one of Mike's guns?

Tuning Options:
Mike indicates on his site that there are a number of options when specifying how you want the air rifle tuned. Given my needs, any tips on what I should be asking for? Obviously, I'd like to maximize both power and accuracy, but I'm assuming it's more of a 'one or the other' type of thing. Also, I'd like to add a sling, should I ask that he install a swivel? I'll eventually want to scope the rifle, but not until I get to know it well.

Additional Purchases:
I'm assuming I'll need more than just the rifle and pellets. From what I read I'll need lube, a cleaning kit, and a rifle stand for maintenance... any input on smart purchases to go with your first rifle? Any tips on where I can save money?

Sorry for all the questions. Lots of research out there and I'm trying to weed out the good info from the bad.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

I am rather new to AirGunning also. But I believe my interest is similar to yours. I want a gun under the power of a CCI 22 Quite that is even quieter. I want the lower power for shooting close and not worrying how far a Pellet/bullet will travel. Of course I want a Gun that can humanely kill small game. I am looking more for accuracy than power. To make a Humane kill you must hit the right spot. But then airgun are famous for being super accurate in most shooters hands.

Pumpers like the 392 Benjamin are accurate and offer about 12 Foot pounds. They are also PITA to pump 5 or 10 times for each shot.

CO2 is great up to maybe 10 yards on small game like Pigeons or Squirrels. But they are more like a 6 foot pound gun. I actually have a 2250 rat catcher model that I shoot Geckos with. Florida summer it not fit for man or beast to be in the woods. So yes I am the Last of the Great Backyard Gecko Hunters. Try shooting their tails off.

My first airgun was slightly used break barrel Gun Show bargain that has me hooked on Air Gunning. It is a 177 Gamo Whisper rated @ 1000 FPS using Lead pellets or 18 pound muzzle energy. Knowing what I know now and Buying it New. I would go with the Gamo 22 with a 975 FPS or 26 Pounds of Muzzle energy. The Big advantage to this gun is the NITRO PISTON instead of a spring. They shoot just a tad smoother and can remain cocked for long periods of time with out spring faguie. I would stay with the 22 pellet size because you can find them anywhere. Plus with the higher velocity airgun, the 50 yards and under shots of 177 vs 22 are about the same trajectory.

AS for PCP::: IMHO, since I own several 22 rifles, a PCP would be redunit. Now with the CCI 22 quite and various sub sonic rounds, the old 22LR is even more versial. Money wise, PCP are rather expensive to start with. They are extremely accurate and a lot easier to shoot than a Springer. If I lived in the UK were Gun laws are stricter, I might go PCP. But for now I will stay with what I have. 

While the advice to get something better from the start is usually good, I'm not so sure here. A tuned rifle is a good bet, and he could spend 3x as much on a German gun that MAY not shoot any better. 

The thing about PCPs is that they're inherently more accurate, out past 30 yards. They don't shoot differently depending on hold. But springers are more fun, I think. I like that they're self-contained, just like the prepper in you. 

What kind of pests will you be after? At what range? What is your all-out budget?

I don't think you need a stand right away, nor cleaning supplies. Put that money into a decent scope and mount instead. 

Don't go nuts on pellets right away. Ask Mike which ones the rifle likes, and buy a couple tins of those. You may also want some good hollow point ammo, like H&N Crow Magnum or Predator Polymag, if your quarry is smallish and inside 30 yards. I shot a squirrel through the chest with a Crow Magnum yesterday, (.177) and the damage was impressive: went through both lungs, tore off half of the heart, and also a Chunk from the front arm. 

For a good affordable scope, I like the UTG 3-12X40, with lit mil dot reticle. They're around $100, and are recoil-proof. 

Yes, have Mike put sling swivels on it, or you can just get a shotgun sling, if that's impractical.

If you can afford it, something like a Diana 34, Beeman R9, would be more of a lifetime purchase. Nicer fit and finish, fewer QC issues. But a tuned gun of any kind should take care of QC issues. 

Welcome to AGN, and enjoy your stay.

From a tuned Chinese springer, you can expect 1" groups at 40 yards. 

Thanks for the Great Info!!
I think, ultimately you've convinced me to...

Deja
"Buy a better gun..."

Thanks Deja! I think I will take your advice! Well put!

Ric-1
"...The Big advantage to this gun is the NITRO PISTON instead of a spring. They shoot just a tad smoother and can remain cocked for long periods of time with out spring faguie."

I've heard mixed advice about NPs, with most of what I've read stating to avoid them, including a post in this very thread. What are the caveats with a Nitro Piston?

Smaug
"The thing about PCPs is that they're inherently more accurate, out past 30 yards. They don't shoot differently depending on hold."

Thanks Smaug! I figured they would be, although I do enjoy learning new skills that require muscle memory, so the concept of the artillery hold shouldn't be an issue. I might even enjoy it. Also, although PCPs don't shoot differently depending on hold, I'm assuming the shots will vary depending on how much pressure remains? If true, it seems like once the hold is mastered, there would be more consistency in the springer.

Smaug
"But springers are more fun, I think. I like that they're self-contained, just like the prepper in you."

Nailed it! I think the edge in power and accuracy for a low budget PCP is slightly outdone by the 'complete system' that is a springer in terms of survival. Hurricanes and power outages can be ugly, sweaty, stinky stuff and travel can get difficult. There are times you really want to keep your functional inventory to a minimum, and even something as simple as a pump can get cumbersome when your living space is compromised.

Smaug
"...A tuned rifle is a good bet, and he could spend 3x as much on a German gun that MAY not shoot any better."

This is what has kept me from pulling the trigger on the Diana 34. I know that Mike will make sure the Chinese clone is a shooter right out of the box. I'm not sure what I'll get from RWS, although I've been looking at DIY tuning options that I could work my way up to over time. 

Smaug
"...something like a Diana 34"

I talked myself out of it too many times. I'm thinking she might be the one.

Now I've got to find a deal. Any advice on what the market looks like during the holidays? Think the savings are worth waiting until Black Friday?

Hi Jerry. (And others)
Relax, this is about your "first" rifle, others will come later....(LOL)

In our airgun world "Precision kills power"...good shoot placement kills the animal (and you got meal) meanwhile with powerful guns you may be able to punch holes thru but loose the game...

Based in my personal experience with airguns (its a half century experience) I would recommend you to buy a "magnum only" airgun with open sights (and you can add a cheap scope, fixed magnification) .Do not go for a super magnum at your first experience.

In a super magnum like the one you like, recoil is very important and will break any optics you install, besides ...to hit the target will not be as easy as you think, unless you learn a shooting technique like the artillery hold and get a lot of practice.
Gas RAM, nitro piston or springer will produce almost the same recoil and same issue for a novice, or your optic sight, thats why having the normal and good old fashion "open sight" will keep you shooting along , even if your optics don't work.

Power: 12 foot pound (16 joules) is good enough to hunt rabbits, squirrels or similar size at a decent distance, lets say 30 yards or more (if you are capable to hit the kill zone)

Thinking on a "preper mind" living in a place with long power outages I recommend you a cheap and good "dual caliber" like the Beeman (if you dont find .22 pellets get .177 and you're ok anyways)
You will be able two shoot either .177 or .22 pellets with the same gun (always try to buy good pellets if you can, that's essential) 
Shooting both calibers with the same gun is a big plus; You will learn the different pellet curve for each caliber, how they behave with winds, penetration, energy retention and other essentials .
this gun is around 100 dollars at Walmart (you can start tomorrow!!!)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Beeman-Dual-Caliber-Air-Rifle-with-Scope/16686245

Why this gun?
Because I have one...I Know the gun.
Because is a bargain. You wouldn't go to bankrupcy for a 100 Bucks.
Because the experience of shooting both calibers with the same gun is unique... .177 will give you a 980 fps shoot in a stright line with a deep penetration but a .22 will give you around 760/800 fps but hammers heavier.

Crosman pellets normally work good wit this gun and at the beginning if you can hit an orange at 40 yards you will go great!! (I encourage you to shoot closer when is a living thing at the other side of the barrel...LOL)
Go get the gun and pellets, just Start. You dont need to brake your pocket.
We will help you on the way to go to the next level with your second rifle in the future (This is a one way trip, there's no return...LOL)

That's all Neo, is the blue pill or the red pill...
Fred.

I have to be the guy that says shooting a springer is hard. Can good work be done with these? Yes it can but it takes a specif hold and a lot of practice. Consider first if there are any dive shops in your area. If so ask if they will fill an air gunners tank. Try your local fire dept as well as they will have high pressure air compressors. Pcp air rifles are as easy to shoot at 22lr.Springers take a specific hold and lots of practice. I don't want you to try this and say air rifles are crap, because air rifles an
re not crap. Out to 100+ yards they are more accurate than fire arms. But for a beginner I would rather see you trying a PCP.

I am going to suggest a Rifle/Scope combo for a first airgun. The combo scope might not be the best, (they are not bad) but they can take the Recoil. I am also going to say the first upgrade would be a better scope. My reasoning is, that as you learn to shoot an airgun you realize how accurate they are. You will want to hit smaller targets at greater distances because you can. The reason not to start with a expensive scope is, Not until you start shooting will you know what you want in a better scope.

"Ric-1".

I am going to suggest a Rifle/Scope combo for a first airgun. The combo scope might not be the best, (they are not bad) ...

Basically try to avoid "super magnums" in your first experience.
The fact is, combo or not combo...make sure your first airgun has open sights also.
Because the optics may not work properly anymore after you calibrate it (recoil is mercyless) ...so, you will never get decent groups, will blame yourself or the gun "when the problem is the optic" is disappointing when that happens...and you are not aware of the true reason...

I will only add that based on EVERYONE I have known to have dealt with him (and I seriously mean 100%) - the report is that Mike Melick is an absolute wizard with tuning a springer. Personally, I've concluded that the only way I would even consider buying a chinese springer is if I get one of his full tune guns. (I'm not really a take-apart kinda guy.) That said, the Euro rifles' wood, bluing and general fit and finish make you feel like you've bought a real weapon built to keep and last. I would add that a lot of the mixed reports about nitro piston* come from a rifle's overall build quality, not just the inherent quality of the power plant. The Euros have some "nitro piston" rifles too.

*Nitro Piston is Crosman's marketing term for a sealed nitrogen ("Inert Gas") piston - basically the same thing that holds up the hatchback on a car. Just about everybody makes an airgun with one of these, but with different marketing names: N-Tec, IGT, GasRam, probably others. I can't comment on the nitrogen piston quality difference across brands.

Now...buy one of each type and have fun. :)

Once again you've steered me in a better direction! Thanks for the invaluable info!

So I've adjusted my plan..
Get the best $100 Beeman I can at Walmart (I think the item fredfable posted is no longer sold) for now, and eventually get the Diana down the road.

The Grizzly X2 (or possibly the RS2 which I believe is very popular) is the dual cal gun that I think fredfable was directing me to, but Walmart doesn't do a good job of specifying other than the photos. I didn't plan on shooting much .177, and was concerned about accuracy on a gun with exchangeable barrels, but have read a number of great reports about these guns if you tighten the bolt enough, and optionally use blue loctite.

To be honest, the more the price creeps above $100, the more tempted I am to get the Diana 34. The RS2 is almost within $100 striking distance of a Diana and the Grizzly X2 is almost exactly within $100 (I've seen some RWS 34s retailing for as low as $275).

Now, I know the argument against the Diana 34 was not necessarily price based, but the steep learning curve of the super magnum Diana 34 being inappropriate for a first timer, and the potential to put that person off to the sport and make them think either the rifle is inaccurate, or the skill is too difficult to master. I'll admit, there is a 'perfectionist' in me who is very up for the challenge. I've mastered everything from firearm ownership to Franz Liszt and I feel somewhere in between will be an ample skillset to conquer the artillery hold and whatever other treats the Diana has in store for me.. BUT--- Once the rifle falls below the $100 mark, it starts to make much more sense to start off with a Chinese built springer from Walmart.

So, are all Chinese built Beeman's created equal? I plan on heading to Walmart later this evening just to check which actual models they have in stock for $100 or less.
Also, and this is totally meaningless and superficial, but I'd really prefer a wood stock. I see the Silver Kodiak X2 getting a lot of attention, and it looks like it's a model that's currently stocked, but something about wood and metal I find very appealing about a rifle. As if your holding the very earth itself.

Also, the potential to learn how to tune a rifle on a $100 gun is significantly higher than a $300 Diana that I'll probably be too hesitant to really mess with. Can these cheap Beemans be eventually tuned to match performance with a slightly higher end rifle?

Either a beeman or "something else" you choose, don't go to a super magnum as a first experience,But make shure the rifle is coming with open sights...
Try to shoot the gun before buying and specially pay attention on "How the trigger feels", if its smooth or hard as a rock, that's another nice concern to take care.
I put that example in order to learn the behavior of both calibers and take better decisions in your future.
There are many brake barrel guns around, could be Crosman, hatsan, gamo, bam, Stoeger, and any german is always better...
Good luck.

Fred.

I have had a Beeman dual caliber rifle and an RWS 34. The 34 wins hands down! While the Beeman had a decent barrel and trigger, the scope stop was a poorly designed POC! Within ten shots the scope stop which was held on by a small screw sheared off. The RWS 34 has a well designed scope rail, good barrel and nice trigger. If you want to learn all about troubleshooting and springer accuracy issues, buy a cheap Chinese gun like the Beeman! I did, and after months of frustration gave it away and bought a German Beeman/HWR9. Result-bliss! You can find refurb 34s from Airgun Depot occasionally for around $200. If you can stretch the budget a bit, get the HW95 from AOA, $315, heck of a deal!
John
To answer your questions about maintenance DEFINITELY clean the barrel when you first get the gun! While your're testing pellets for accuracy you should pull a few patches through when switching brands as different pellet makers use different types of lead alloy and some don't get along with each other. Once you've found the ideal pellet, clean the bore whenever your accuracy starts to fall off. A properly set up modern springer will not need any lube in the chamber unless you hear it "honk" while cocking. Excess lubes in the chamber will cause problems, so if you must oil, do it sparingly and use only Silicone chamber lube designed for airguns. The other prime cause of inaccuracy in springers is loose stock screws, keep them snug, many like to loctite them.

ABSOLUTELY JOHN!!!!
(LOL)

Off course the German beeman or any German made is supreme engineering.
Actually we can't compare your RWS with any Chinese clon, like the BAM or else...

My experience with the Beeman (i got it from Walmart in a shopping fever!!! LOL) has been great so far, it outperforms my Benjamin NP for example.
I just adjusted trigger stage with no issues (While I had to tune the Benjamin trigger, a simple thing but...mandatory)
I paid Beeman 98 U$ Vs Benjamin NP 240 U$....and I passed those numbers shooting pellets.

In this particular case (a newbee) I understood Beeman Philosophy like having these guns to approach new shooters to the discipline.
My little advise is based on having the chance to test two calibers at a bargain price....that will shortcut a lot of time on learning process, learning the ballistic curve or testing on the field the difference betwen both calibers will be great! Then after, he will be ready to go for the next gun with authority knowing what is the best choice, or his real needs.
I insist "the thing" about getting the one with scope AND open sights...You will not stop shooting even when your scope breaks...
First gun only happens once and is not meant to last for ever!!
Fred.