• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

First 50 shots at 50 yds with new to me FX Royale 500

Had a small thunder storm with wind and hail to cool things off at Campfussell today. Actually got down to 76 degrees after the storm. Wind was calm but not dead calm during shooting. Kept switching up on me.

Filled to 210 bar and shot down close to 140 bar for five 11 round magazines. One of the groups is actually 6 shots but can't remember which one?

Shot a killer sighter shot in right hand corner before I began.

Most shots covered by a dime. Had a few flyers. Shooting Edgun brand 25.39 gr JSB's close to 900 fps.

Hope to try some 100 yd shooting before the month is over. Just can't bear the heat and humidity. Temps were above 95 degrees before the storm hit. And the humidity/dew point is just flat nasty.

1565493520_14604567775d4f8910557c09.54486282_68916866_2685614381450191_186030907788886016_n.jpg
1565493529_19778025135d4f891976ef89.29128738_67951710_2685614431450186_7151308852091158528_n.jpg

1565493626_14814489465d4f897a9747f4.31938735_68631383_2679737972037832_3716733701455872000_n.jpg
1565493638_16323994565d4f8986558fd6.54004823_67647416_2679738065371156_417241345363542016_n.jpg

Gonna be hard to live up to the Boss, but still pleased with the performance!

Fuss

I hate to state the obvious because I’m not trying to make anyone feel like I am a pro at this. But I heard sometimes even a new gun needs the barrel swabbed . I’ve started to clean my barrel more than I used to and I’ve noticed an increase in my accuracy also a light spray or mist of oil seems to help me. Anyway at 50 yards that’s pretty darn good.

Red - Im guessing Jimmy cleaned his new 500 Royale ST barrel before he shot those groups, since the gun was brand new.

Jimmy, nice shooting at 50! I live in Chapel Hill and the heat and humidity have been non-stop for months. Can’t wait for Fall to arrive. 

Assume you shot those groups on HP, but it will be good to see what she can do at 100 yards too. 

I’m ordering a new 400 .22 Royale in September and can’t wait for it to arrive. Best of luck with the new arrival!

looks good you will get it there ,now you can switch bottles if you want 😃have fun and keep shooting

Thanks Bob, I haven't made up my mind on the bottles. I think I actually like the heavier bottle on the Boss for the stability at the bench?

I hate to state the obvious because I’m not trying to make anyone feel like I am a pro at this. But I heard sometimes even a new gun needs the barrel swabbed . I’ve started to clean my barrel more than I used to and I’ve noticed an increase in my accuracy also a light spray or mist of oil seems to help me. Anyway at 50 yards that’s pretty darn good.

Red, I did clean the barrel. I hope I wasn't misleading. Although the Royale is new to me, it is actually not a brand new gun. I bought it from Ken Hicks used inventory over at SPAW. It was at a price I just couldn't resist. I'll have to try the lubed pellets one of these days.

Red - Im guessing Jimmy cleaned his new 500 Royale ST barrel before he shot those groups, since the gun was brand new.

Jimmy, nice shooting at 50! I live in Chapel Hill and the heat and humidity have been non-stop for months. Can’t wait for Fall to arrive. 

Assume you shot those groups on HP, but it will be good to see what she can do at 100 yards too. 

I’m ordering a new 400 .22 Royale in September and can’t wait for it to arrive. Best of luck with the new arrival!

Tommy, my dad grew up in Chapel Hill and still has fond memories of a time gone by........ back in the 1940's.

I'm looking forward to cool weather too bud. Will be nice to shoot without sweat dripping down all over the buttstock.

And yes I had the Royale on high power and cleaned the barrel. I plan to try some groups with the 34 gr pellets as well.

Congrats on the 400 purchase. You won't be disappointed. Look forward to your groups.

Peace and FX grease

Fuss

Yep, you said a mouth full talking about the heat and humidity in NC. I live outside Charlotte and it is brutal. When I was a kid, we didn't have air conditioning in the house, but we had a HUGE attic fan which pulled some of the heat out. The school I went to didn't have A/C either. Back in those days, I seemed better able to cope with the heat than now at 69 years old. When I first arrived in Vietnam, I thought the heat was gonna kill me before the VC or NVA would ever get a chance, but my body adapted rather quickly to the conditions and within a few weeks I could hump 60 lbs all day and dig a fighting position in the late afternoon in temps over 100 without much trouble. 

As far as global warming goes, I don't think the temps are that much warmer than they were as a child … I think that it is all about what you get used to. If you work outside a lot, you notice the heat, keep hydrated and sweat a lot … but if you come outside from an A/C building and have to spend any amount of time in the sun, it is almost unbearable. In short, I think that air conditioning has spoiled us … not only with lowering the temperature but also the humidity levels and it's usually the humidity level that makes you feel worse than the temperature. The human body is an amazing thing with it's ability to adapt if given the chance … but jumping to the conclusion that the entire world is getting much hotter because we spend so much time in A/C buildings probably is not correct.

Have been thinking a lot about getting a Royale myself … from all I hear, it's a gun that you don't have to spend a lot of time tinkering with to get it to shoot right. I've been wanting to try my Vulcan Tactic and Cricket at 100 yards also, but I only have a 65 yard range in the back yard. When it cools down, I'll probably make it to the farm in SC or my niece's house. Your groups look great, not too shabby at all … especially for it being your first time on the gun. Did Ken do any tuning to the gun before you got it?

likkity,

Oh yes the a/c has definitely spoiled us, but I'm worried more about the gun and gear when I take them out of the nice climate controlled area and set up outside and everything starts to sweat over. Not just the scope lens, but the barrel, the air reservoir etc. Drives me nuts.

I know it can be wiped down and oiled when you bring it in , but what about those places you can't get to without a complete strip down? Used to drive me crazy at FT matches and they would shoot in the pouring rain? LOL

No sir , I got such a good deal on the rifle, all I had Ken do was install the bipod rail for me. The last one I installed wasn't straight when I got through?

Overall the rifle looks well taken care of and cycles perfectly and I'm happy with the trigger. I had shot some groups at 34 yds the day I got the gun and it was very windy, which is why I didn't even try 50 yds that day. But the two groups with 34.95 gr Jsb's did really well, so I need to shoot ten groups at 50 yds with those in the future. The MKII's didn't fair as well.

Here's that target. And that was before I cleaned the barrel or anything. 34 yds with 25 gr Jsb's, 25 gr Edgun brand Jsb's, 33.95 gr Jsb's, and 33.95 Edgun brand Jsb MKII

I only have a small tin of the 33.95 gr Jsb's, but if it likes them I'll be on the classifieds trading my MKII's for some? LOL

1565542001_19538899275d504671394a31.57967650_67918800_2680379795306983_8633341889430421504_o.jpg

Peace and pellet grease

Fuss

Think I was sold when I saw Matt Dubber's video "FX Royale, A FABULOUS all round air rifle". Knew you'd love it!

Gerry I had an FX 400 for a short time back in 2015, but traded it for a .22 Cricket Carbine to round out my Cricket collection. Always sorta regretted it, but my buddy that swapped for it still has it and he loves it, so all's good!

My .22 Cricket pup, and my .22 Kalibrgun Colibri completely satisfy my .22 caliber needs for now.

Fuss

I think ol' Fredrik came up with one of the greatest designs of modern air rifles with the original Royale platform and ST barrel. It's one of the best air rifles you can buy, and, given its price, a real value. The innovations developed by FX in recent years are impressive, and I assume this has resulted in financial success. But, I've never heard a competitive shooter describe his/her rifle as, "yes, it's a great rifle, I just wish it were more complicated." If you have a rifle that is accurate and reliable, I see no reason to compromise it with features that add parts and maintenance requirements. Yes, I'm kind of a bah, humbug kind of guy when it comes to the adjustability/convertibility features of the new FX products. I had a Crown, and it shot well when everything was in proper adjustment. But, here is my opinion (and that's all it is, feel free to disagree). I would be comfortable taking my Royale 400 out of the cabinet right now, putting it in a case and heading off for a weekend hunting trip with no tools, cleaning equipment, or sight-in target. Before doing that with my Crown, I'd stay home. Granted, it's a hobby, and if tinkering is your fun, most of the current air rifle makers have plenty of products to keep you happy. If you take your rifle away from the bench and want to forget about it as an unpredictable variable, rifles like the Royale will please. 

I think ol' Fredrik came up with one of the greatest designs of modern air rifles with the original Royale platform and ST barrel. It's one of the best air rifles you can buy, and, given its price, a real value. The innovations developed by FX in recent years are impressive, and I assume this has resulted in financial success. But, I've never heard a competitive shooter describe his/her rifle as, "yes, it's a great rifle, I just wish it were more complicated." If you have a rifle that is accurate and reliable, I see no reason to compromise it with features that add parts and maintenance requirements. Yes, I'm kind of a bah, humbug kind of guy when it comes to the adjustability/convertibility features of the new FX products. I had a Crown, and it shot well when everything was in proper adjustment. But, here is my opinion (and that's all it is, feel free to disagree). I would be comfortable taking my Royale 400 out of the cabinet right now, putting it in a case and heading off for a weekend hunting trip with no tools, cleaning equipment, or sight-in target. Before doing that with my Crown, I'd stay home. Granted, it's a hobby, and if tinkering is your fun, most of the current air rifle makers have plenty of products to keep you happy. If you take your rifle away from the bench and want to forget about it as an unpredictable variable, rifles like the Royale will please.

I'm 100% with ya there. I like simple.....set it and leave it. If I need the gun to do something else, it's time to buy another gun already set up for the situation! ;-)

I should have quoted the post above mine. Much finer airguns have been made than an FX. The British don't mince words and it's wearing.

John, FX needs a lot of work in the .177 category for a quality Field Target rifle and low power shooting like the Brits do. They are few and far between that perform well enough for competition FT rifles. I much prefer the older .177 FX rifles with LW barrels like the Logun, Tarantula ,etc. for FT. I think there are few and far between ST barrels in .177 that perform well enough FT comps.

But with the .22 on up they have some quite accurate stuff with their ST and STX barrel systems. I've had roughly 25 airguns since I started in 2013 and this FX Boss is the first one that prints MOA on a regular basis. If it shoots like this Boss I don't care what brand it is!

Not sure what you mean by "The British don't mince words and it's wearing."???

Fuss

It's all personal tastes. For me, the Royale & Boss platform tickled my airgun "g spot" from the start. NOTHING so satisfying as load, shoot & hit EXACTLY what you're aiming at. My go to guns first, last & always. If I want to "fiddle" I'll go work on my car!

I'm with ya there Gerry.

There has to be a reason why Ernest Rowe has put smooth twist barrels on some of his other rifles? I believe he even put a .30 cal smooth twist on a Cricket Pup that was lights out! He did a lot of Kalibrgun tune and repair videos before he headed over to FX USA. And I see why he likes .30 cal now too!

My used Boss cost me about 1/4th what my Thomas did when it was brand new. And I've been having a heck of a lot of fun with it since I learned it would shoot like it does at 100 yds. Both are keepers in their own categories.

Fuss