• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First 2240 Mod, Pellet Jams

So I ordered the long steel breech for my new 2240 from Pyramid Air. Fast delivery and nicely packed. I installed it per the instructions, and upon trying to load the first pellet, it jams as it’s being pushed forward by the bolt. The pellet is hanging in the well for the screw that’s inside the breech. If I back that screw out a bit so it supports the pellet as it goes by, it feeds normally, but that can’t be right. I can feed it with the screw properly torqued by dropping the pellet in and pointing the gun straight up. The pellet skirt sits on the bolt and goes right in. I’m sure the install is kosher, so what gives? I welcome suggestions. I’m going to enjoy modding this baby. Maybe practice for a Ruger 22/45?

I literally did the same thing you have done to your 2240 as I had done to mine. And I have the same problem. Just go with a very light 22 caliber dome style pallet . I get 13 gr keep the muzzle up while you’re pushing because if it hangs up there goes your accuracy. My eight-year-old can do it but it took him some getting used to. Look at the bright side you now can mount optics on your 2240

Don’t be discouraged you made the right decision by upgrading. That is the best CO2 pistol that I know of, At least with a reasonable price

That's a common and well known problem with the 22xx guns. There are plenty of ways to get around it. You can point the gun down when you load and drop the pellet in so it slides past the problem something I have always done so that the pellet does not get damaged by that area. Pick a pellet that does not cause that problem some pellets seem to load easier than others. You can melt some wax from a candle to fill the hole or fill it with something else. These days anytime I start to mod one of the 22x guns I drill and tap the hole out bigger usually 6/40, but did the 5/48 for awhile. Then I put the new screw, I am using, in a drill and hold a file to it to make the head the right size for the breech I am using. The original screw is a 4/48 and made of pudding steel of something cuz the tiny .05 Allen head strips out so easy. Drill the head off with a tiny bit the size of the screw shaft and remove the breech to fix a stripped one. The screw comes out easy after that. I know it can be a pain but it's an easy fix no matter how you do it if you understand what's going on.

Reactions: SkeeterHawk
These days anytime I start to mod one of the 22x guns I drill and tap the hole out bigger usually 6/40, but did the 5/48 for awhile. Then I put the new screw, I am using, in a drill and hold a file to it to make the head the right size for the breech I am using.

Man, Biohazardman, this suggestion was one of the best/most awesomest/most practical suggestions that I would never have thought of on my own. Again, this was so simple, I applaud you. This is exactly where I am going to go with this problem.

20211028_235146.1635573223.jpg

I have only been into 2240 modding for 5 months and am using one of the Chinese 2240 to PCP conversions from "free_outdoor". The picture above of the screws is the stock screw on the bottom and my modified screw on the top. The head on the OEM screw was really small and dropped way into the breech and everything got caught into it, With your suggestion, I was able to just cruise into my local Ace Hardware and make the issue MUCH better.

I chucked the screw up into a Dremel tool, which had a bit "softer" squeeze on the screw, plus you can run it at 20K RPM if you want.

Here is a picture of the "chasm" that was the original drop, where everything would get stuck into it.
20211028_235518.1635574020.jpg

Here is a picture of the newly modified breech screw installed
20211029_001925.1635574097.jpg

There is still a "catch" in there that is either the bump of the difference in the depth of the screw versus the breech, or it may be getting stuck in the hex head now, but I am still getting snagging. It isn't NEARLY as bad as it was, but I still don't think that there is ever going to be a time that I can use the GravMag system I bought without gnarling a significant number of the pellets that make it in. So, my plan is to get some Torx screws and grind them down to the proper size. I'll get the widest head I can to get the most depth correction once they are ground down as I still need 0.02" or so of thickness at least to make up the gap. If I still get snagging issues, I'll just fill it all with wax, smooth it out and see what happens, but at least with a Torx screw it should always be able to be removed. It would be fun to be able to use my magazine.

Again, I REALLY appreciate your suggestion of grinding the head of a screw down to make it make up for the difference in the depth of the countersink for that hole. That was brilliant!

I hope the 10x's are in your future!

-Jonathan

You are right, of course. My apologies for not being clear. This is a Chinese PCP conversion, so they swapped out the breech screw for an M3. I was able to pick that thread up locally as it isn't as hard to find as the 4-48. I don't know if you could tell from the picture that the head on that screw was tiny, so it exacerbated the problem. Ace had a screw with a hex head that would work, but as I mentioned, it could be better. I will have to find something online, but at least my problem is greatly improved.

Thanks for the insight, Fivestar!

You may have "Fixed" one problem, and created another. When I looked for a 22xx breech screw in most of my local Ace hardware stores the only #4 screws that they had were #4 x 40..The 22xx breech screw is #4 x 48..

Many hardware stores have a firearm screw drawer. That is where I found my 5/48 but I have used 5/40 and even 6/40 and 8/40 as well, for the breech screw, for higher powered guns. Yes, you will often need to drill and tap for proper fit. Many of the hard to find screw sizes are available on eBay also.