Firing an Airgun Pellet from a Centrefire

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldnt cause a problem but the pellet would probably just melt and lead the barrel before it got to the muzzle lol. We have made 223 cases on a cnc lathe that were made so you could push the primer into the primer pocket by hand. The inside of the case was solid except for a narrow channel to concentrate the primers charge to the base of the pellet. The case mouth was made to the size of the pellet instead of a .224 bullet to hold the pellet correctly. I never got to try one so I dont know what the velocity was or accuracy. 

It might be an Aussie thing. The first time I saw it used was in Katoomba NSW in 1959.
A highly regarded armourer, and friend, used .22 Hornet shells and caps in a Martini action with a Diana air rifle barrel suitably chambered. He was deadly on the sparrows that flocked onto his garden.
I don't recall if he used a grain of powder, but at such low pressures there never seemed a problem. I do recall he pulled the barrel through after each shot so I guess he had found the rubbish from the primers affected accuracy.
The Aussie who made those videos is actually smarter than your average bear. But any who try the system better beware ... and I doubt the accuracy would be an improvement on the normal air system. If Mach 0.80 or so is exceeded accuracy should still suffer. ... Harry.

Geography: NSW is about 16% bigger than Texas and is the fifth biggest Aussie State. WA is near three times the size of Texas.

To the person who gave me a negative accuracy rating over my previous remark with the following comment; "Attacking a guy because of his video calling him a moron com on" I'd like to say this: I'm not attacking a guy because of his video, I'm saying that screwing around with ammo is pretty darn stupid. And yes, I think you're a total and utter moron when you do dangerous stuff like that.

I'm allowed to say this, because when I was 17, I almost blew of my hand, and it has cost me my index finger. I've lost all feeling in my thumb, index-, and middle finger, and most of my muscles there, I have a benign tumor the size of a pinball, and I have to live with the pain each and every day for the past 31 years. I can't even hold a pen as a result of that. So yes, from one moron to another (the one being a kid, the other being an adult), don't do stupid poope like that. And for heaven's sake, don't spread that stupidity on Youtube as a "how-to" instruction video.

Jonnes, Just in case you linked the minus to me - it wasn't.
I respect everyone's opinions here unless they get personal. My response above stands alone for what it's worth; a little history with a touch of geography I thought may be of interest. I have just finished reading Michener's book "Texas" hence the perspective.
I neither endose nor otherwise the cross-discipline handloading process ... Kind regards, Harry.

I don't do assumptions @Yrrah, and even if you gave me that minus, we live in a free world. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to learn and share some personal experiences so that others can learn. This is somewhat of a bad experience I had with regard to this topic, hence the statement. So no worries mate. ;) 

Reactions: Willie14228
If anyone hasn't heard of short start. Basically it's when a gap is left between the bullet and powder. The result can be an exploded barrel.
Please firearms are NOT experimental toys. I too have a momento of playing around with poop I shouldn't have.
Don't even incurage the activity by posting such videos it's stupid and irresponsible.

Reactions: Jonnes
"Willie14228"Well someone negative posted me too, I guess while they think it's ok to post their view they don't like it when someone feels differently.
P.S
To censor is to stop or block, I've done neither, I've only asked that such dangerous activities not be incuraged by posting such activities.
Not demand or force nor post negative to one who posted

Somewhat off-topic, but "How else are people to learn from others mistakes if you try to censor what can be shared."? Is this guy serious? Looking at his writing style and bad grammar, it's probably the same person that gave me a negative rating.

To him, I want to say this; experiment away my friend, blow your hand off or an eye out, and enjoy the pain for the rest of your life if you're in to that. But at don't say you weren't warned about the dangers of screwing around with ammo. I'd rather warn people (because youngsters could read this and think it's cool, and have something bad happen to them) and get bashed, than don't and read some horrific story in the papers later. If you find this sane advice 'censoring', you might want to reconsider another hobby, get a really - REALLY - good health insurance, or get your nugget content examined because you might have a loose wire somewhere up there.

Anyway, he got way more attention than he deserves. Back to the topic. If you want to see how much gas expansion a shotgun primer produces, this is an interesting experiment with a more scientific approach. As you can see, it's enough to do serious damage to soft tissue (i.e. blow off a finger).

Status
Not open for further replies.