Finishing a unfinished RAW HM1000 LRT Stock - Walnut

Spiral, beautiful stock! Like Vet said above....can't wait to see it finished! Nice work so far!

RAW - Walnut..5JPG.JPG

RAW - Walnut3.JPG

RAW - WalnutButt.JPG

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Years ago I had two powder burners that I wanted to refinish the stocks on them. One was just a beech stock and the other was walnut. I did a good job of removing the original finish. Sanded to a uniform finish with “FINE” sandpaper. Then, following instructions from a Tru-Oil article in a gun magazine I applied the Tru-Oil. You put the Tru-Oil on with an old cotton tee shirt, and then when dry go over it with 0000 steel wool. Before applying next coat wipe with tack cloth or shop vac. I did that about 15 times. Once done it was pretty similar to the old Remington lacquer finish on 870’s and 700’s.
One stock was done similarly but instead of tee shirt, the Tru-Oil is applied directly with a finger tip. Takes a bit longer and you have to watch for runs but the claim is that the warmth from the finger tip helps the bond. Not sure how true that is but I did it and looked as good as the tee shirt method.

Reactions: ThomasT
That is one beautiful air rifle. If it were mine I would be afraid to take it out of the basement. You’re like the guys that own and cherish classic wooden boats. It’s just satisfying to constantly tinker with them.
Yeah, I went with the poly finish on top of the tung oil as it would be more resistant to dings or scratches.
Funny you say that because I do own a 1955 Cris Craft Capri - Beautiful Mahogany Wood.

Yeah, I went with the poly finish on top of the tung oil as it would be more resistant to dings or scratches.
Funny you say that because I do own a 1955 Cris Craft Capri - Beautiful Mahogany Wood.
Cool, when I was 7 or 8 years old the family vacation had us pass through Algonac, MI. So we toured the Chris Craft factory. In one area they had test tanks with boats in them. They of course were inboards at that time. I referred to them as “muffler boats” because the exhaust was more or less at the waterline and just sounded cool. Not to mention the classic boat design. You definitely own a prize.
PM me pictures of the boat if you don’t mind.
Randy

Cool, when I was 7 or 8 years old the family vacation had us pass through Algonac, MI. So we toured the Chris Craft factory. In one area they had test tanks with boats in them. They of course were inboards at that time. I referred to them as “muffler boats” because the exhaust was more or less at the waterline and just sounded cool. Not to mention the classic boat design. You definitely own a prize.
PM me pictures of the boat if you don’t mind.
Randy
Hey rcs9250,
I'm from St. Joseph, Michigan and remember seeing mahogany, Chris Craft runabouts on the Paw Paw lakes back in the mid-1960's.
My 1955 Capri was made in Cadillac, Mi - unfortunately it's unfinished on my garage floor. Hopefully, it will be a retirement project:).

Thanks Randy,
I think I like working on guns as much as shooting them ;) .

- Now I just need to fix the air leak on the gun - always something .......
You're welcome! I think your work on them is as good your excellent marksmanship! Now onto the leak...LOL! Not many o'rings so just change them all out...voila!