Finishing a unfinished RAW HM1000 LRT Stock - Walnut

Oh NO! I'm so sorry about that.....😢....that's a HUGE BUMMER! Wouldn't think an amazon driver would do that as they could lose their job if you caught it on video....but, I also could be wrong. I know you'll fix it so no one could tell it was chipped before! It's a gorgeous stock. Maybe a good sized bird perched on it....
Yeah, I shouldn't blame it on someone else - my bad, no matter ......

The worse mistake I ever made on a gun, was after spending 3 months on a Thomson Center muzzle loader kit ... and after having it blued twice (I wasn't happy with the 1st bluing job), I pack up the finished gun to show my neighbor. Unfortunately, I was so excited, I forgot to zip the back of the case. While running down the sidewalk, the gun slipped out of the case and bounced a few time on the concrete.

I was so upset, I almost cried looking at the damage in disbelief.

However, re-worked the stock and metal work, had it re-blued and I swear it looked better the 2nd time. All that was wasted was my time.

Here we go again!!!

RAW Stock Chip.JPG

Hey Guys,
One last update before I buff out with Mother's Mag Polish to remove the "slick" look.

Even though the stock arguably looked better with just tung oil, I decided to spray it with a clear poly to add strength to the finish.
I found my finger nails were repeatably scratching the stock when finish sanding ........ as the Walnut was so soft.

I just didn't want to deal with constant, minor denting; I've found the Varathane Poly is a tuff finish (5 sanded coats).

RAW Stock - Almost Done2.JPG

Reactions: Mr.H
That came out looking great SG!
Thanks ....
Yeah, I decided to go with the thicker (buffed) poly finish over the tung oil, because the wood was so soft - I must have accidentally dented the stock 3 or 4 times during the entire process, plus the chip. The poly finish is very durable relative to THIS wood finished by tung oil.

Sprayed the stock in-letting with flat black paint.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThomasT