• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Finishing A New Barrel Blank ?

Well the groove dimension is indeed large but a lot of unchoked barrels I’ve gauged have a larger land dimension.

I consider chokeless barrels to be for slugs and choked barrels to be for pellets.

Some recently developed airgun barrels are designed with slugs in mind but that is not the presumed default, and most definitely not the historically dominant position for unchoked barrels. LW’s designs are one such example, a perennially proven design for shooting pellets. So with all due respect, it is a bit like asking why their pellet barrels aren’t designed for slugs. 

There are some success stories out there. It’s just that the odds are stacked in the other direction. A lot of variables go into the mixing bowl but one of them is usually a slug that is within a thou or fraction of a thou of the groove diameter. Push a .217 slug into the breech of a 12-groove LW barrel and shine a flashlight behind it, then look into the muzzle at all the light spilling around the sides.

Standard LW 12-groove barrels cannot really work with slugs very well. The difference between lands and grooves diameters is too big. Even if the slug enters the choke the grooves do not touch the projectile. If one makes the slug which can be touched by the grooves then it would look like shuriken once it leaves the barrel.

It's a 6 groove poly barrel but we'll see how it turns out. If it does not shoot slugs well I will use pellets. This is an experiment in my hobby with the goal being to shoot 17.5gn NSA slugs well because they are always easy to get, the price is less than pellets and the overall quality is better than pellets. Having over 24 inches to work with (615mm) I can always refit the barrel to a different gun. I call this a cheap education combined with entertainment all for $131 usd.

So with all due respect, it is a bit like asking why their pellet barrels aren’t designed for slugs.

thinking1.1647396210.gif
With all due respect they're not listed as pellet barrels, they're listed as airgun barrels.

One would have to assume they were marketed specifically for pellets.
hug1.1647395910.gif

Kidding aside I respect your opinion and I'm grateful for the knowledge you share with me.

One would have to assume...

Haha, yes it is rather presumptuous of me to think they were developed with the idea of shooting pellets. Sometimes I'll go ahead and step out on that limb :)

I can't help thinking a .218 pellet should perfectly fill a barrel with a .215 bore and .221 grooves.

The .003 of lead displaced by the bore should take up .003 in the grooves. Your thoughts ?

A little better than a thought...a picture! I don't have a .22 polygon lying around but did put my hands on a conventionally rifled LW. Mic'd a slug at precisely 0.2180 and pressed it into the breech. Weak flashlight behind it, camera at the muzzle. Futzed around with the manual exposure settings like a completely inept buffoon. Tried a dozen different settings until I got a picture that doesn't look like it was taken with a potato.

2180 slug pressed into breech, light spilling around it.1647397538.jpg

If you have the tools to properly machine a barrel, then you have the tools to make your own slug dies. 

There is no need to hope that someday someone will make a barrel to shoot slugs properly….Rimfire barrels already have it all figured out. Huben had it right when they were using Rimfire barrels….but there was very little selection of slugs to fit them.

Im not convinced that it’s better to have a large selection of slugs that don’t work than it is to have only one or two offerings that don’t work. 

Get a good Rimfire barrel and figure out how to make a slug for it. That’s going to be the fastest road to any real success….although it probably doesn’t seem like it right now.

Just my opinion.

Mike 

I share your sentiment and the aspiration for one barrel to rule them all. Seems only logical that if someone were to design it and make it, shooting sport aficionados would beat a path to their door to buy it. My guess is the reason we don’t have such a barrel is not explained by a lack of motivation, and most definitely not by an obliviousness that said barrel would be a best seller.