Tuning Finished up on my Impact barrel tension mod.

biohazardman -

How did you measure the fact, that the barrel doesn't move ? What amount of loads did you test the barrel to ? 

That musta taken some high end fixturing, tooling and tools !?

Mike

I just pushed down on it while it was sitting on the bench. Before the mod it moved a considerable amount after it did not move at all.

Pretty neat. Why not just get the carbon tube thick enough so it just fit over the barrel. Not sure that little bit of volume would do much for the sound suppression but interesting to see. If anything I would love to see a solid barrel from liner out. 

another thought or question is has anyone thought of making the front block with hole big enough to run a tension tube all the back to the action, that to me would work better but the block itself is rather small.

biohazardman -

The way I did it was easy and I already had the carbon tube. 

How did you measure the fact, that the barrel doesn't move ? What amount of loads did you test the barrel to ? 

That musta taken some high end fixturing, tooling and tools !?

Mike

I just pushed down on it while it was sitting on the bench. Before the mod it moved a considerable amount after it did not move at all.

I don't see compressing working as nice as tensioning. I'm not sure a guitar string makes sense to compare to. Push the 2 ends together and you get a bow in it and is floppy. Shoot a projectile through that. Then pull them apart and it's taut. That's the one I would choose. 

Now a barrel is a solid material not floppy but putting under compression to me still makes sense that it wouldnt be as good as tension. But that's just my thoughts on it. Could be wrong

Only the shroud is compressed the barrel housing is under tension as the shroud is compressed. 

This does little to help the liner which is why I installed the carbon tube on the liner as well.

Just a thought. 
If the barrel is stretched like a guitar string. Why wouldn’t it vibrate similar to a guitar string.I believe this may have a higher frequency.

I would imagine, but have no way to prove. Compressing the liner would translate to a lower frequency. I believe a lower frequency, would be easier to manage.The lower frequency has a slower wider Sine wave. Allowing the shoot to be more repeatable.

Just food for thought.

Seems logic in it. But may be the barrel is strectched so much that there are immaterial vibration.

Only the barrel housing is put under tension and not allot of it.

The main reason I did this mod is to stop any poi shifts that are caused by the barrel being bumped and moving slightly.

Even though I did not have the problem others did.

5AAAD176-C59D-4383-B4F7-4A2BD2D60D08.1653494299.jpeg
C1ACE547-6676-4176-BA4D-E02993C59268.1653494301.jpeg

I’ve been testing up my version, bio, and although materials are different I give you all credit for planting the idea seed. Still undergoing testing