Finished Resealing My Crosman Model 99

A few weeks ago I traded one of my two Smith and Wesson Model 77A’s for a non functioning Crosman Model 99. I felt good about the trade as I really like lever action pellet rifles and was really interested in the repeater function and being powered by a single 12 gram Co2 cartridge.

Over these last few weeks, I studied the repair manual, diagrams, parts lists, available videos and the internal components of the rifle itself. Many people said this rifle was a challenge to repair due to all the parts. I did not find this to be the case at all. The best way to approach it is to assemble and reassemble the individual modules, just as the repair manual advises. I actually found it easier than the Crosman Trapmaster 1100 Shotgun I resealed for my oldest son.

As for the valve I tore it all the way down except for the large plastic/nylon seal and staked steel washer that held it in place. I replaced every dry rotted seal in the upper and lower chambers of the valve and made sure to use Mac1 secret sauce to reassemble the valve. The only problem area encountered was the exhaust valve seal. I could not get the new seal to seat, possibly due to seal being a little to hard. I decided to fashion my my own seal using a softer material hoping it would conform to the valve seat areas, It Did and no more leaks. At this point I dry fired it a few times on low power and high power. After this I loaded 14, domed 14.3 grain pellets in the pellet feed slot, cocked it with the lever to half power and watched the function of the feed mechanism, pulled hammer back to full power, aimed at a cardboard target 10 yards away in my shop, fired 6 shots and created a line about 1.5 inches wide with two pellets finding the same general location. The pellet feed mechanism worked flawlessly and the spring tension for the feed slot was perfect. My youngest son then finished out the test fire session shooting the remains pellets at a few rock doves and two gophers he bagged 3 rock doves and both gophers. Including these shots and dry firing the initial cartridge until empty we counted 35-40 full power shots could be possible.

The reason this one holds 14 pellets and not 10 is due to the fact that the rear spring guide 99-99 was not present and a second slot was never cut into the receiver as the repair manual suggested. I also feel the rifles valve had never been resealed as parts 38-88 and 38-87 were still in the valve and had not been replaced with a single o-ring 38-130. In addition, the ancient lubricant had dried to a hard sticky substance that resembled fly paper glue. Again here I cleaned everything and used Mac1 secret sauce where appropriate and moly paste on metal to metal wear surfaces, wow is it smooth now.

Now that I have it cleaned up and holding Co2 I plan to take it back down and refinish the wood and repaint the receiver halves. As for the blued parts they look good so a good wipe down is all I plan to do.

Here are a few pictures I took tonight after testing for functionality. Now on to the cosmetics.

The only future goal I have is to find a set of scope mounts that use the two screws on the top of the receiver.

EAA8B7EC-EDFB-4E88-996E-4FECDA61A4D7.1630468883.jpeg
14181AFE-A08D-42DB-84ED-9532F0EA9201.1630468883.jpeg
3A54CE16-84F3-465A-AC4F-E0ABC8B26D9C.1630468884.jpeg
8D731A2A-D869-490E-B9A9-34E1DBE13779.1630468884.jpeg
99C350ED-341A-4AFC-AD8B-07B6A3D6DD71.1630468884.jpeg

Looks like you been hard at werq making that piece of history shoot again. Good job on that. 

I have one of those. Got it from the late Hoyt Vandenburg, Green Forum Moderator with me back in the day. He did a pretty nice job on rewerqing it inside and out. I have never even shot it like many of these old things I was not going to collect but they were so interesting.

These old Crosman guns are a blast to fix up and just look at I guess I don't shoot them much if at all.

I do shoot my 600s now and then as well as my Mark one and SW 78 though. Just got a couple of rebuild kits for my 150 and 157 so more guns that need fixed. Have a couple of 622s siting in pieces as I was going to refinish the stocks along with a 101 as well. I managed to get the 1100 fixed up pretty good except for the valve needs work. But life happened and I never got to the others and they sit in a box just waiting like five or six other project guns in boxes here and there around the basement.

The 160 was stolen I gave the 700 and the stock to the 1760 away. 

Biohazardman, got to have projects and hobbies and this is one my wife does not mind as it is one our sons have fun with as well.

That is a very nice Model 99, I only hope mine turns out that nice, but that’s the goal. I am not familiar with the 600’s yet but I have looked into a 622 and the 400 as well. You are correct about the valve in the 1100, I did not like working on it and seems I took it apart 50 times before I got it to seal. That is also a very impressive collection you have there.

What is odd is I started out a springer guy and swore by them for over 35+ years, I still like them for what they are. Then just this year after a work accident with my left hand (spontaneous tendon rupture of the thumb) I discovered old pumpers when my mother gave me one of my Great Uncles Crosman 102 repeater pumper, I was hooked on them because there was no recoil and were easier to shoot accurately, I could pump them or my youngest son would. 

Then I found a couple 101’s, a couple of Sheridans came along (Blue and Silver Streaks), a Benjamin 312, 392PA and 392S, I then picked up a S&W Model 77A because of the lever action.

Then Co2 came along this spring when a co-worker gave me the 1100 that now belongs to my oldest son, after that I picked up a Crosman 113 a Co2 bulk fill gun, I was fascinated by the number of shots these two rifles were capable of and again no recoil but also no need to break barrel to cock or pumping required, just charge and shoot. Since I am still in a hand cast these are my new go to guns.

when the opportunity came along to trade one of my S&W 77A’s for a Model 99 I just had to do it as it has everything I want now in an air rifle, no breaking to cock, no recoil, no pumping, is a repeater and has my favorite - lever action. If your wondering, yes I was able to use just one hand to work on the model 99, not easy but doable.

I am not sure what other vintage pellet (not BB guns) were built with lever actions but I won’t stop looking for them. A modern one I have looked at a few times is the Walther Wells Fargo Edition Lever Action Cowboy Rifle. Unfortunately I cannot justify the price, so I will stick to finding project rifles to restore, shoot and collect.

However, there is one thing that will remain a constant for me and that is pumpers and Co2 is as close as I will ever come to PCP air rifles, I just have no interest in packing around all the accessory items to shoot them.

Reactions: wachtenj
I sort of want one but Lord knows I have so many already. I really like vintage Crosman co2 pellet rifles and pistols. I don't even know how many I have anymore. I think the hardest to work on was my 622. I made an aluminum pin to hold certain parts in place until the trigger screw goes back in. I forget how it went. It's been a while. I pinned the block in it and converted it to bulk fill. Also ground down the sear and gave it a vastly improved single stage trigger. It's fun to shoot. Pretty accurate.

I have exceptional success using rustoleum black oil paint applied with a cheap Harbor Freight air brush. The paint flows out like glass and dries to a durable finish. Comes in gloss, semi gloss, satin, and flat. You have to add a little thinner until you get the paint to atomize. Mineral spirits, or naptha is even better. It dries a little faster. You can speed up the drying a little more with some japan dryer. Paint stores have it. Some hardware stores too. Just don't add too much. You don;t really need it. Two nice coats, not too heavy, and you got it. Do a test piece first.

This is the way to get a real professional finish.

Here is the one to get. Dirt cheap $10.95 and works very well. Upgrade the hose with the cloth covered one they sell for a few dollars more. You'll throw the rattle cans in the trash. You don't even have to clean up. Throw the bottle away after you're finished and still have 4 more. You can't beat it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/quick-change-airbrush-kit-93506.html

image_13800.1630473559.jpg

Biohazardman, got to have projects and hobbies and this is one my wife does not mind as it is one our sons have fun with as well.

That is a very nice Model 99, I only hope mine turns out that nice, but that’s the goal. I am not familiar with the 600’s yet but I have looked into a 622 and the 400 as well. You are correct about the valve in the 1100, I did not like working on it and seems I took it apart 50 times before I got it to seal. That is also a very impressive collection you have there.

What is odd is I started out a springer guy and swore by them for over 35+ years, I still like them for what they are. Then just this year after a work accident with my left hand (spontaneous tendon rupture of the thumb) I discovered old pumpers when my mother gave me one of my Great Uncles Crosman 102 repeater pumper, I was hooked on them because there was no recoil and were easier to shoot accurately, I could pump them or my youngest son would.

Then I found a couple 101’s, a couple of Sheridans came along (Blue and Silver Streaks), a Benjamin 312, 392PA and 392S, I then picked up a S&W Model 77A because of the lever action.

Then Co2 came along this spring when a co-worker gave me the 1100 that now belongs to my oldest son, after that I picked up a Crosman 113 a Co2 bulk fill gun, I was fascinated by the number of shots these two rifles were capable of and again no recoil but also no need to break barrel to cock or pumping required, just charge and shoot. Since I am still in a hand cast these are my new go to guns.

when the opportunity came along to trade one of my S&W 77A’s for a Model 99 I just had to do it as it has everything I want now in an air rifle, no breaking to cock, no recoil, no pumping, is a repeater and has my favorite - lever action. If your wondering, yes I was able to use just one hand to work on the model 99, not easy but doable.

I am not sure what other vintage pellet (not BB guns) were built with lever actions but I won’t stop looking for them. A modern one I have looked at a few times is the Walther Wells Fargo Edition Lever Action Cowboy Rifle. Unfortunately I cannot justify the price, so I will stick to finding project rifles to restore, shoot and collect.

However, there is one thing that will remain a constant for me and that is pumpers and Co2 is as close as I will ever come to PCP air rifles, I just have no interest in packing around all the accessory items to shoot them,

Sounds like you have quite the collection yourself. Pumpers and Co2 guns are great fun and I messed around with them for a few years then got bit by the PCP bug. Built my first couple out of the the Crosman 22xx platform guns, with the Baker bulk kits,. Then came the Impact that the addiction said I just had to have. It's all been downhill since that day. ;) Lots of fun though. 

I have to sleep in a tent in the back yard these days and rent my house out to get enough money for the airgun addiction and to keep up with all that it is requiring of me currently. But it's all worth it? ;^)

Enjoy it while you can.

A few weeks ago I traded one of my two Smith and Wesson Model 77A’s for a non functioning Crosman Model 99. I felt good about the trade as I really like lever action pellet rifles and was really interested in the repeater function and being powered by a single 12 gram Co2 cartridge.

Over these last few weeks, I studied the repair manual, diagrams, parts lists, available videos and the internal components of the rifle itself. Many people said this rifle was a challenge to repair due to all the parts. I did not find this to be the case at all. The best way to approach it is to assemble and reassemble the individual modules, just as the repair manual advises. I actually found it easier than the Crosman Trapmaster 1100 Shotgun I resealed for my oldest son.

As for the valve I tore it all the way down except for the large plastic/nylon seal and staked steel washer that held it in place. I replaced every dry rotted seal in the upper and lower chambers of the valve and made sure to use Mac1 secret sauce to reassemble the valve. The only problem area encountered was the exhaust valve seal. I could not get the new seal to seat, possibly due to seal being a little to hard. I decided to fashion my my own seal using a softer material hoping it would conform to the valve seat areas, It Did and no more leaks. At this point I dry fired it a few times on low power and high power. After this I loaded 14, domed 14.3 grain pellets in the pellet feed slot, cocked it with the lever to half power and watched the function of the feed mechanism, pulled hammer back to full power, aimed at a cardboard target 10 yards away in my shop, fired 6 shots and created a line about 1.5 inches wide with two pellets finding the same general location. The pellet feed mechanism worked flawlessly and the spring tension for the feed slot was perfect. My youngest son then finished out the test fire session shooting the remains pellets at a few rock doves and two gophers he bagged 3 rock doves and both gophers. Including these shots and dry firing the initial cartridge until empty we counted 35-40 full power shots could be possible.

The reason this one holds 14 pellets and not 10 is due to the fact that the rear spring guide 99-99 was not present and a second slot was never cut into the receiver as the repair manual suggested. I also feel the rifles valve had never been resealed as parts 38-88 and 38-87 were still in the valve and had not been replaced with a single o-ring 38-130. In addition, the ancient lubricant had dried to a hard sticky substance that resembled fly paper glue. Again here I cleaned everything and used Mac1 secret sauce where appropriate and moly paste on metal to metal wear surfaces, wow is it smooth now.

Now that I have it cleaned up and holding Co2 I plan to take it back down and refinish the wood and repaint the receiver halves. As for the blued parts they look good so a good wipe down is all I plan to do.

Here are a few pictures I took tonight after testing for functionality. Now on to the cosmetics.

The only future goal I have is to find a set of scope mounts that use the two screws on the top of the receiver.

View attachment 169201View attachment 169210View attachment 169219View attachment 169222View attachment 169230

As for the valve I tore it all the way down except for the large plastic/nylon seal and staked steel washer that held it in place. I replaced every dry rotted seal in the upper and lower chambers of the valve and made sure to use Mac1 secret sauce to reassemble the valve. The only problem area encountered was the exhaust valve seal. I could not get the new seal to seat, possibly due to seal being a little to hard. I decided to fashion my my own seal using a softer material hoping it would conform to the valve seat areas, It Did and no more leaks. At this point I dry fired it a few times on low power and high power. After this I loaded 14, domed 14.3 grain pellets in the pellet feed slot, cocked it with the lever to half power and watched the function of the feed mechanism, pulled hammer back to full power, aimed at a cardboard target 10 yards away in my shop, fired 6 shots and created a line about 1.5 inches wide with two pellets finding the same general location. The pellet feed mechanism worked flawlessly and the spring tension for the feed slot was perfect. My youngest son then finished out the test fire session shooting the remains pellets at a few rock doves and two gophers he bagged 3 rock doves and both gophers. Including these shots and dry firing the initial cartridge until empty we counted 35-40 full power shots could be possible.

View attachment 169201View attachment 169210View attachment 169219View attachment 169222View attachment 169230
I'm new here. Signed up just for this post. This seems to be the only info I can find on this air rifle. Where would I find the repair manual and parts list and diagrams. Google doesn't seem to be helping me much except for this thread.

Thanks i really appreciate it. My dad gave me this air gun and it was my grandfather's before that and this is a huge help hopefully I can get it up and running

Reactions: c801tfd