• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Finished my first match, shot terrible, had an amazing day regardless

I just wanted to give a shout out to the fellows at FTRPA for putting on quite the fun match today. It was my first FT experience and I had a great time. The guys there were all very welcoming which really helped calm the nerves. Rich and Brian pretty much gave me the breakdown of what to expect as soon as I got there and explained some rules. Much appreciated guys! I even had the privilege of being paired with a fine man named Hector who is without question, one of the nicest guys I've ever had the opportunity to shoot with.

It only took about 5 minutes into the match for me to realize everything I thought I knew was wrong. Hector didn't judge me or complain but rather showed me how he does his dope cards and a few shooting techniques for me to practice. Needless to say, I will be taking that advice and putting in some work to improve for next time.

Long story short, it was a great day and can't wait to get back out there!

Sqwirl,

As I said a few days ago, the guys at Falls, and all the competitors are ACE. Hector is my go to guy here on the East coast when it comes to accessories and stuff for Field Target.

Doesn't matter how you shot, as long as you enjoyed it. You now have a personal best, that you can beat the next time out.

I hope to meet you at their next one, it's probably the nicest course one can possibly shoot......it's probably my favorite. 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

Sqwirlfugger, welcome to Field Target. It's a great sport. 

Bowhuntger, here's a link to the AAFTA handbook. It has all the info. on different classes, scoring, course difficulty, rules, etc. http://www.aafta.org/uploads/1/2/7/6/127666620/aafta_handbook.pdf

And, the best way to learn is to go to a match. Even if you don't shoot, just go and watch and ask questions. As folks have said in this thread, others will be more than happy to answer any questions and support you in getting started. 

Hey, how'd that 177 end up shooting? Any pictures of groups you can shoot with it?

That .177 TX200 turned out to be a beast!

20210820_180825.1630032798.jpg
20210730_175404.1630032800.jpg

Typical 55yd group, seated position 

20210804_181021.1630032802.jpg

Another typical group, seated position

20210806_204948.1630032802.jpg

A couple sighters followed by the tightest 55yd seated group of my life. 

All in all, VERY happy with her.

It's all about enjoying the sport. I've shot competitive archery for many years but wanted to try something new. I went to my first field target match a couple of months ago and came in dead last. I went home and worked some shooting the HW97 springer and got some tighter scope settings. Went out last month and won my class. There's still a lot to learn and room for improvement. I'm having a blast though. 

The key to FT is to have fun and learn, most especially for new shooters.

I was fortunate early on to be squadded with a great pair of shooters, one a National Champion. I shot poorly, they were patient and taught me a lot. Over the next year or so, I was squadded with many other great shooters and soon challenged for match wins.

Many years later, I am now the guy that MDs squad with new shooters.

That is how we do it in Texas and we have developed many fine shooters, clubs, and friendships.

Glad you had fun. Dont give up. It takes a good 6 months to a year for all that you learn to gel.

Stay safe,

Best regards,

Paul in N.TX