• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Finding the right pellet for my FX Crown

I have been using basically only one pellet in my 25 caliber FX Crown since a year ago when I bought it. The pellet being the JSB exact king diabolo at 25.39 grains. The accuracy that I am getting I shouldnt even consider anything else. But as everyone else would do I would like to experiment with a couple others. First of all would be the GTO 25 caliber pellet. Secondly would be a slug of some sort. There is probably more than 15 different slugs out there to try. Seems like those in the HN line differ by basically their weight.
I am really a novice to the airgun industry. After purchasing my FX Crown I feel that this rifle is one of the top of the line rifles. But I no way want to take the rifle apart and mess with adjusting the regulator to obtain the most accuracy from one pellet to another. I know that by doing this and doing it wrong, that it's possible to really do harm to the rifle. After dropping my life savings into this rifle, this is something I want to avoid. I probably will not get good accuracy out of the GTO pellets, but need to at least try them. As far as slugs go, I will start out with a weight that is close to the 25.4 Diabolo's that I am using now. But I would like to try a heavy pellet also. Something like the H-N heavy which is around 44 grains. My regulator is set from the factory,(Utah Airguns), at around 160 BAR. I also have the 700MM barrel for this rifle, and may try reaching out to 100 yards sometime.
So my question is this...By not tuning my rifle to the weight of the pellet, do I have to stay with a pellet around 25 grains, or can I possibly try others and have any luck without having to readjust my rifle? Can I possibly cause damage to my rifle by using lets say a 44 grain pellet when my rifle is set up for 25's?
Thank you

Reactions: 1a2a3m4p
Safest bet for a slug without tuning or using a slug liner is probably the FX Hybrid. But they are expensive. Different (heavier) slugs may require the use of a slug liner. Not too sure how the 25 is in that respect. I know in my FX guns 23 grains is the tipping point with a 22 cal slug where the slug liner proves a better liner.
There is plenty of information out there on tuning the Crown. Learn how to tune. It really isn’t that hard and enjoy everything that Crown has to offer.

no,you wont hurt your gun using a 44gn pellet.

but it will be going much much slower than your current 25gns.

you can try any .25cal pellets you wish,
but in reality the jsb kings and 34gn king heavies are probably going to give you the best accuracy.

as for slugs,same thing,
you can try any .25 cal you like,
but be warned,no slugs ive personally ever seen,
could come even close to the accuracy of some flavor of jsb kings.

plus slugs can be very finicky,
and if youre not prepared to make adjustments to your gun,
best just stick to kings.

but feel free to try any pellets/slugs you wish,
maybe youll find a unicorn,
maybe you wont,
at least youll know then.

p.s. i see you're in PA, what part?

if im close enough i have probably 30+ different slugs you could try,
plus you could try your hand with my impact m3 :) lol

If your regulator is set at 160 bar and you have a 700mm barrel, then you should have no problem shooting 65-70 foot pounds. That being said, 44 grains is really heavy and there are a lot of options in between 25 and 44 grains. JSB KO MKII's should be dead on the money in the standard superior liner. You get much past 35 grains and you will need the heavy liner.

JSB 34 gr. mk2. I have 3 .25 cal barrels for my crown mk2 and all 3 shoot that pellet just as good as the 25 gr. Do you have the first gen crown or the mk2? With my mk2 and the 700mm barrel I can get the 34 gr. JSB up to 885 fps with the reg set at 130 bar. 160 seems high for a 700 mm barrel unless its the first gen crown.

Reactions: 1a2a3m4p
no,you wont hurt your gun using a 44gn pellet.

but it will be going much much slower than your current 25gns.

you can try any .25cal pellets you wish,
but in reality the jsb kings and 34gn king heavies are probably going to give you the best accuracy.

as for slugs,same thing,
you can try any .25 cal you like,
but be warned,no slugs ive personally ever seen,
could come even close to the accuracy of some flavor of jsb kings.

plus slugs can be very finicky,
and if youre not prepared to make adjustments to your gun,
best just stick to kings.

but feel free to try any pellets/slugs you wish,
maybe youll find a unicorn,
maybe you wont,
at least youll know then.

p.s. i see you're in PA, what part?

if im close enough i have probably 30+ different slugs you could try,
plus you could try your hand with my impact m3 :) lol
Im in Western Pa. Basically about halfway between Lake Erie, and Pittsburgh

I have an AG that also shoots the JSB 25.9 extremely well. This was the first pellet I tried and I have no desire to try any other pellet or slug. My theory: if it’s not broken, don’t fix it OR keep fixing it until it IS broken.
I can't believe I can get any better accuracy than I am now using the JSB Exact Kings at 25.4. Understood as to if it's not broke, don't fix it. I was just thinking about giving something else a try. Thats all.

I can't believe I can get any better accuracy than I am now using the JSB Exact Kings at 25.4. Understood as to if it's not broke, don't fix it. I was just thinking about giving something else a try. Thats all.
I understand, I'm trying to tell you what to do, just my thoughts. if you make any adjustments, write them down. so you'' be able to go back to where you started. Have fun

So for my crown, with the 350 mm barrel, the JSB 25.3 pellets are the best compromise between velocity and accuracy- about 850 fps with out going sick on the reg. Be kind to your reg, and it'll treat you with longevity.
For the 700 mm barrel, run the JSB 33 grain at 910 fps and smack everything you'd like with excellent accuracy . V excellent.

Any slug, hybrid, Hades, etc- in my gun, are a waste of time. I've tried all of the nelsons w various weights and diameters, polymags- even lots of weird euro pellets . Now this is using the standard liners that came with the rifle, for the crown mkIl.
If you've the time (and $$$$$) to experiment with FX's lottery of liners, I bet there are some slug shooters in the mix. It chaps my hide that FX expects us to spend over a grand (almost $2g's for mine w 2 -.25 cal barrels and a .177 setup) and then have to start making $99 bets to find something that will shoot slugs or hybrids. Seems like they could start with a barrel that could do BOTH- but all YOU get is a pellet barrel. A darn nice pellet barrel, but we all want more don't we?
Love my crown, shooting it as is. I've setup other guns for slugs so that I've the tool for the application at hand .

Reactions: tibor and 1a2a3m4p
I really the performance I get out of the 29 grain Nelson slug out of my Crown mk2 600mm barrel, reg 155, H, 23 . Really good in the wind due to the high bc. Just under 60 ftlbs. Very constant and accurate. 6 shots at 57 yards , mag empty at that point.
20220911_173427.jpg

Hello from Chile.....Amigo do me a favor and try my tune...maybe it will work for you too:

CROWN MKII .22+ PT SLUG (FX) + PIN SLUG (HUMA):

1) 125 bar + 20HS (OEM) + 600MM 1:24 + NSA 20.2 g in .2175. = 975fps = SUB MOA AT 100MT.

2) 125 bar + 23HS (OEM) + 600MM 1:24 + H&N SLUG 25g .218 = 920fps = SUB MOA AT 100 MT.

Regards and try what I suggest.....160bar is too much for the corona!!!!!