• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Finding the best pellet for your new PCP air rifle - How?

I am very new to air rifles and am looking to purchase two new PCP air rifles, one the works above 12 fpe and one that works below that I can use in confined spaces. But I'm wondering what the sequence is for discovering the best pellet for your particular gun. I know that it involves trying lots of different brands of pellets at different ranges and finding the so called sweet spot, but my question is which should you do first?

Intuitively I would think that finding the sweet spot would be the first port of call, but then maybe which pellet you use affects how the sweet spot behaves - but then again maybe not. So as a newbie would love to hear all about the thought processes involved in finding that ideal pellet for your gun.

I'm not sure of your pellet availability, but I would first try JSBs in different weights for your caliber first. If they don't work well I would refer to a forum specific to whatever gun you have and see what pellets other are using. I have 5 small caliber PCPs (22 & 25 cal) and JSBs work well in all of them. There are other pellets that also work well in them but in most cases the JSBs work just as well or better than the next brand.

"npunk42"Doesn't the Air Arms S510 FAC come with adjustable power? I thought the low setting was 12 fpe, and full power was up near 30fpe. Seems to me that you could save some money, not have to deal with two different barrels potentially preferring two different pellets if you got one rifle like that.
I’m looking to get the FAC rated air rifle in .25 calibre. I’m guessing that 12 fpe won’t be enough for a .25, hence a dedicated sub 12 fpe rifle.

Back to your original question: How does one find the best pellet for a new PCP rifle?

The answer is to simply try different pellets until you find the one that shoots accurate and with consistency. I suggest setting up paper targets at different distances such as 15 yards, 30 yards, and 45 yards. Then shoot two 5-round groups for each pellet at each distance. That should give you an idea of which pellets work best a various ranges. I'm with blackdiesel when it comes to JSB being the best all around pellet for most rifles. In the UK, the Air Arms pellets seem to be very popular and they are close in size and weight to the JSBs.

Hope that helps.
Scott

JSB, H&N barracudas & Air arms. These are the top 3 ones you should try. Most guns I've owned and the ones my friends have owned shoot well with either of these 3 brands. 

The best way is to actually buy the trial packs that are listed online. They typically give you 5 different varieties of pellets in tubes of 30 pellets each. H&N & JSB Both have these. Find a non windy day, set your zero to 30 or 50 yards and shoot away by keeping you gun on a rest. The ones that group well become your best pellets. Happy shooting mate. 

"travels4fun"Back to your original question: How does one find the best pellet for a new PCP rifle?

The answer is to simply try different pellets until you find the one that shoots accurate and with consistency. I suggest setting up paper targets at different distances such as 15 yards, 30 yards, and 45 yards. Then shoot two 5-round groups for each pellet at each distance. That should give you an idea of which pellets work best a various ranges. I'm with blackdiesel when it comes to JSB being the best all around pellet for most rifles. In the UK, the Air Arms pellets seem to be very popular and they are close in size and weight to the JSBs.

Hope that helps.
Scott
Hi Scott

Yep, get the try different pellets at different ranges part - makes sense. But my question is where in the process does finding the sweet spot fit in? Before or after finding a pellet that groups well? Does the pellet you use change the characteristic of the sweet spot?

"FearnLoading"JSB, H&N barracudas & Air arms. These are the top 3 ones you should try. Most guns I've owned and the ones my friends have owned shoot well with either of these 3 brands. 

The best way is to actually buy the trial packs that are listed online. They typically give you 5 different varieties of pellets in tubes of 30 pellets each. H&N & JSB Both have these. Find a non windy day, set your zero to 30 or 50 yards and shoot away by keeping you gun on a rest. The ones that group well become your best pellets. Happy shooting mate.
Like the sound of the trial pack. Here in the UK Superdome are well rated. Also heard on Ted's channel (Ted's HoldOver that is) that generally tight fitting pellets seem to open up groupings. So always worth noting what diameter of pellet works best in your rifle (might provide a shortcut for finding alternative brands).

"RichardUK"I am very new to air rifles and am looking to purchase two new PCP air rifles, one the works above 12 fpe and one that works below that I can use in confined spaces. But I'm wondering what the sequence is for discovering the best pellet for your particular gun. I know that it involves trying lots of different brands of pellets at different ranges and finding the so called sweet spot, but my question is which should you do first?

Intuitively I would think that finding the sweet spot would be the first port of call, but then maybe which pellet you use affects how the sweet spot behaves - but then again maybe not. So as a newbie would love to hear all about the thought processes involved in finding that ideal pellet for your gun.

Richard,
The best method is to test pellets first. There is not that much variation in performance relative to comparing pellets whether you're in the "sweet spot" or not. You're also killing two birds with one stone. As you test pellets you are letting the gun settle in. (barrel seasoning, regulator, seals, etc) I think this is a great way to break in the gun without wasting time and money. What I have found is, the numero uno pellet that reveals itself will most likely be numero uno when you find the sweet spot...Start with JSB or AA Field Diabolo as these will be most likely to fit the bill. Try other's just for the fun of experimenting and your own warm and fuzzy. Pellet first, settle gun, work on sweet spot...then you'll only have 145 more variables to tackle. :)

Yep, get the try different pellets at different ranges part - makes sense. But my question is where in the process does finding the sweet spot fit in? Before or after finding a pellet that groups well?
  • After finding the pellet.
Does the pellet you use change the characteristic of the sweet spot?
  • Yes though not enough to get worked up over.