finding parts for old BSA springer

I own an old BSA springer I've had for probably close to 30 years. It's in .177 and stills shoots at about 700 psi with very good accuracy.
I would like to rebuild it but have no idea what model it is { no markings} or where to even obtain parts. Serial number is WD01584. Any advice would be most helpful.
Thank you
PXL_20221022_154443035.jpg

Its a BSA Challenger, which was the successor to the Mercury S ….which i consider to be the best BSA springer.
The Challenger actually got an improved stock in so far as the chequering being of a more traditional style, but the purists did not like the idea of of the extra build up height of the trigger unit to act as recoil stop for the rear scope mount, spoiling the streamlined look offered by the original units for 60 years….Also the raised scope ramp was met with mixed reactions. Even so, the Challenger was right up there.
Ive known a few use Challenger stocks on their beloved Mercury S and Challenger owners using Mercury S trigger units on theirs… The barrel and compression chambers were identical.

A regular Airsporter/Mercury O ring and buffer washer fits. Some eliminate the Buffer washer for a few mm longer stroke. My .22 Mercury Challenger carbine has an HW99 spring because I had it on hand and the original spring was broken in 5 peices when I got it. The Maxi Grip rail is a "challenger" to remove and replace. And unfortunately requires the scope to be mounted too high in MO. Nobody offers 14mm dovetail rings in low height. Was the successor to the standard Mercury. Earlier models have a very bland beech stock. The S only differs by a walnut stock with checkers (normally very plain walnut and pressed checkers) and a nicely shaped raised cheekpiece. Not sure why anybody would swap the "S" walnut stock for the beech Challenger stock. Later Mercs have a beech stock very similar to the Challenger. Same basic back block since the 1948 Mk1 Airsporter is nearly always scratched up. I skillfully repainted mine.
I've had a Merc S for over 35 years (still nearly mint and the box too) and the Challenger for about 10.
Challenger is easy handling and much easier to cock than a HW99 even as a carbine. Very accurate as BSA barrels are.
BSA sights are always available on eBay UK
P1010061 - Copy.jpg
P1010059.JPG
P1010062.JPG

Reactions: AirSupply
The buffer washers in Mercurys and Airsporters swell up and turn gunky. Then it gets tight in the cylinder. It's easy to find rebuild parts. These guns are extremely popular in UK. Driving the pin that holds the piston head on can be tricky. And you have to know how to hold the back block during removal and replacement. You can do it without a compressor IF you have strong hands and are able to start the thread. I clamp the back block in the vise a certain way that won't damage it and thread the tube onto it. .......Second thought.......maybe some wouldn't want to attempt it. IDK .....We didn't even get into how to get that lovely Maxi Grip rail off. It has to come off to remove the piston.

The stock on the Challenger was preferred here in the UK due to the preference here for the traditional styling of the chequering at the grip. The Mercury S despite having a preferable Walnut stock, got somehow spoilt by machine pressed chequering. The cheekpiece of the Challenger was also more defined and graceful.
Despite being beech, many had a nice grain.
So a fair bit of mix and matching occurred when these first flooded the market.

For all that, i preferred the Mercury S due to the regular trigger block and using the regular cut scope rails rather than the raised Maxi grip unit. I never had a problem, using a small arrestor block behind the front mount.
A Mercury S could hit 870 fps with 8 grain pellets and was a match for a FWB Sport, outshooting the Airsporter S significantly.

Not dovetailed, more like keyed. Look at the diagram above. You have to depress the rail some with clamps as it's driven off. Takes a good wack to get it started. Don't muck up the rail or the rubber bumpers! No longer available. No room for errors! Customairseals offers rebuild parts, free shipping. Chambers will sock you with hefty shipping and handling costs. The sights are only available used on eBay UK. Probably several available any given day. Shipping isn't bad if you go standard post. eBay global shipping is too much. I've worked with quite a few UK sellers because I have about 50 +(yep) BSA springers. Well over 1/2 are prewar.
P1019863.JPGP1019874.JPGIMG_1496-1.jpgP1010156.jpgP1010005.jpgIMG_1420.jpgP1010063.JPGIMG_3818.jpgrevised-head-component-gladys-50d4e5a8.jpg

The stock on the Challenger was preferred here in the UK due to the preference here for the traditional styling of the chequering at the grip. The Mercury S despite having a preferable Walnut stock, got somehow spoilt by machine pressed chequering. The cheekpiece of the Challenger was also more defined and graceful.
Despite being beech, many had a nice grain.
So a fair bit of mix and matching occurred when these first flooded the market.

For all that, i preferred the Mercury S due to the regular trigger block and using the regular cut scope rails rather than the raised Maxi grip unit. I never had a problem, using a small arrestor block behind the front mount.
A Mercury S could hit 870 fps with 8 grain pellets and was a match for a FWB Sport, outshooting the Airsporter S significantly.
Yes, I would have to agree. The pressed checkers are terrible (they can be chased out with a file) and the S stock's shape really isn't anything special. I have both Airsporter S and Mercury S. The Challenger stock is definitely nicer. Good straight grain beech with no beech flecks and rays that I don't care for. I do have a spare Challenger stock that I might put on a standard Mercury I have. I imagine the Challenger isn't very common in UK. Only made a year and a half 1985-6
I was shooting my Challenger today. Got about a 5 in 3/8 ctc @ 25y group Superdomes but I've done better with it. I don't see so well with a 4x scope. The HW99 spring twanged a little at first and I was about to kick myself for not machining a guide for it but after about 125 pellets it has really smoothed out. I did chrono it a few months ago but I don't remember what it was running.
Would prefer to use a dovetail Merc cylinder but It's not so easy to find a good one. Wouldn't be hard to file down the back block and repaint once more.

Reactions: Steveoo
I have the Mercury and find it accurate enough but find pellets that fit the bore hard to locate. Originally, had the .177 barrel mounted but found a .22 barrel several years ago and have it mounted. I have read that the Eley pellets fit the .22 barrel better but here in the States they are hard to locate. Had to tighten the fork area to take out wobble int the barrel lock-up. Actually enjoy the Mercury, just don't shoot it very often.