N/A Finding compatible front sights

Hi all,

I have been trying to research these questions on my own for some time, and I think I need some expert input.

The first question specifically relates to finding a front sight for my Feinwerkbau 124, although the question extends further to all 11mm-type front sights. Thanks to fellow forum members, I now have a FWB rear sight, and I also have a Beeman peep sight I plan to use.

Adapters
So... are any adapters available, or is there any way to get Weihrauch's globes to fit on the 11mm short front rail? I have an HW and (again thanks to a generous forum member), a spare set of HW sights. The dovetails are close, but Weihrauch's is smaller. I don't have a caliper, but I am going to guess HW's is closer to 3/8 inch (between 8 and 9mm), while FWB support told me theirs is the European 11mm. So I guess the question is whether there is an 11mm to 8-9mm adapter available.

Recommended 11mm front sights
Apart from whether an adapter available, what are front sights you all would recommend for 11mm? I am aware that Anschutz sights are compatible, but I am hesitant to shell out quite so much yet. Hoping for something closer to $50. I am interested in versatility as well. If a globe sight, it would be nice to have interchangeable inserts. I also like good posts. I am mostly target shooting but occasionally pesting, and I find the globe/peep can be hard to see in twilight.

Old style dovetail front sights
Lastly, any recommendations for front sights for an old Beeman R7? This doesn't have the rails, but an older-style crosscut dovetail, which I assume is 3/8. I would like to know which are the best front sights to get. Again, I mostly plan to use peep sights.

Thank you all!

What do you mean when you mention a 11mm sight, the size apeature inserts it takes or the dovetail width. I replaced mine a long time ago and honestly cannot rememeber what kind but think it is a Wierhauch. I measured the dovetail width on my 1975 vintage 124 D and it is 9.3mm. I have an old Beeman/Williams receiver sight with target knobs and it is in my opinion a perfect combo for that gun.

No Idea about the Beeman rifle. You could probably get any any globe sight, Williams or Lyman for a 3/8 dovetail and file it to fit. Just file the sight not the dovetail on the barrel,( I bought a Marlin 39a Mountie rifle that had a globe on it and wanted to put it back to original type sights, and found that a previous owner had filed the sight base so a post sight would not fit, I ended up ordering and replacing the ramp type base, held on by two screws so no problem)

I put one of the Gehman adjustable apertures in my Beeman diopter so I can open it in dim conditions to see things better, works great.

Reactions: jbuchse17
My experience is mostly with older front sights, which mostly have 9mm rails, so take this for what it's worth.

FWB themselves made sights with 11mm rails (and 18mm securing sleeve in the tunnel), for the "Universal" variants of the 300S series. There are both high and low versions. You never know when you will stumble on those on an auction site, etc. (often mis-labeled as an "Anschutz"). One advantage of these sights is that the metal inserts exchange with vintage Diana and Walther ones, and a lot of accessories are available for the 18mm tunnel.
IMG_4033.jpeg

Older Anschutz sights, like this one, are made for 9mm rails (and have 18mm sleeve). Again I don't know much about newer models. As you can see, Anschutz made a great variety of inserts and again, there's a good range of accessories.
IMG_1861.jpeg

I don't know how to make an HW sight fit, short of physically milling the rails out 2mm wider - but, there's a lot of material there, so it may well work. Be aware that they can take only their own brand metal inserts, which is limited to 6 types that are, IMHO, of limited value. Also they have a 17mm sleeve, for which aftermarket stuff is no longer made.
IMG_1859.jpeg

What do you mean when you mention a 11mm sight, the size apeature inserts it takes or the dovetail width. I replaced mine a long time ago and honestly cannot rememeber what kind but think it is a Wierhauch. I measured the dovetail width on my 1975 vintage 124 D and it is 9.3mm. I have an old Beeman/Williams receiver sight with target knobs and it is in my opinion a perfect combo for that gun.

No Idea about the Beeman rifle. You could probably get any any globe sight, Williams or Lyman for a 3/8 dovetail and file it to fit. Just file the sight not the dovetail on the barrel,( I bought a Marlin 39a Mountie rifle that had a globe on it and wanted to put it back to original type sights, and found that a previous owner had filed the sight base so a post sight would not fit, I ended up ordering and replacing the ramp type base, held on by two screws so no problem)

I put one of the Gehman adjustable apertures in my Beeman diopter so I can open it in dim conditions to see things better, works great.
Ah, interesting that the dovetail on your 124 D is 9.3 mm. That is the front sight, correct? I wrote FWB and they told me it was 11mm, but I do not have calipers to check. I've also heard that "11mm" is often used loosely. Yes, I have an old Beeman peep sight with the target knobs too! I am hoping to get the front sight so I can start shooting it iron sights.

Thanks for the tip on the 3/8 dovetail sight. I'll look into that.

I've heard about the Gehman and other adjustable apertures. I think last I looked they were a bit pricey, but maybe someday. I'll keep my eye out. Thanks again!

My experience is mostly with older front sights, which mostly have 9mm rails, so take this for what it's worth.

FWB themselves made sights with 11mm rails (and 18mm securing sleeve in the tunnel), for the "Universal" variants of the 300S series. There are both high and low versions. You never know when you will stumble on those on an auction site, etc. (often mis-labeled as an "Anschutz"). One advantage of these sights is that the metal inserts exchange with vintage Diana and Walther ones, and a lot of accessories are available for the 18mm tunnel.
View attachment 385673

Older Anschutz sights, like this one, are made for 9mm rails (and have 18mm sleeve). Again I don't know much about newer models. As you can see, Anschutz made a great variety of inserts and again, there's a good range of accessories.
View attachment 385675

I don't know how to make an HW sight fit, short of physically milling the rails out 2mm wider - but, there's a lot of material there, so it may well work. Be aware that they can take only their own brand metal inserts, which is limited to 6 types that are, IMHO, of limited value. Also they have a 17mm sleeve, for which aftermarket stuff is no longer made.
View attachment 385676
Thank you for the advice. I've taken a look on eBay and will continue keeping an eye on it. Since I already have an HW set, I was thinking of keeping everything as one set, but it looks like it's Weihrauch that is the odd ball and the others brands are far more interchangeable. Will keep that in mind.

Thanks also for the tip on Lyman for R7, I'll look that up.

Ooops...If the dovetail width on the 124 is close to 9mm, then I'm wrong about the old FWB match sights fitting. In that case some judicious file work might persuade the HW to fit, or even better, get one of those old Anschutz ones - wonderfully versatile sight, and usually pretty easy to find.
How much are the old Anschutz sights usually? Any particular model to search for? Thank you.

Well you never know on an auction site, but in the neighborhood of $50.

The issue with searching for sights on auction sites, etc., is that the descriptions are often WRONG! If the seller doesn't know what it is, they will invariably call it an "Anschutz" - some do this on purpose because they know that's the name most often searched for. So, it pays to be familiar with what the old sights look like.

Here are four common vintage sights that use a more or less 9mm dovetail. Clockwise from top left:

+ Walther. Cast tunnel and base, wide-slot mounting screw head on the right, centered in the base. 17mm sleeve thread.
+ Weihrauch. Cast tunnel and base, narrow-slot mounting screw head on the right, in the front of the base. 17mm sleeve thread.
+ Anschutz. Cast metal tunnel and base, wide-slot mounting screw head on the right, centered in the base. NOTE, unlike the others it does not "squeeze" the base legs, but has a separate small steel "foot" on the left side. Makes it easy to mount and remove, and tolerant of small variations in the rail spacing. 18mm sleeve thread.
+ Diana. Thin steel tube tunnel, and stamped steel base. Phillips head mounting screw head on the left, centered in the base. 17mm sleeve thread.

IMG_1161.jpeg

IMG_1160.jpeg

Viewed from the front. Clockwist from top Walther, Weihrauch, Diana, Anschutz. Note the little rubber block on the front of the Walther.

IMG_1163.jpeg

FWIW...I just now checked fleabay, and found two Dianas listed as Anschutz! I rest my case, lol...

There are more elaborate versions of the Anschutz sight, some with a sleeve on both ends, others with a more elaborate base. But I think I'm correct in saying all the older models with 9mm rails have the 18mm sleeve. Sorry I don't know model numbers.

I'm sure there are plenty of other sights out there, that will work on the FWB 124! These old ones are just what I'm familiar with...🙄

Last edited:
For your R7, take a look at the classic Lyman model 17A front tunnel. They mount in a transverse dovetail, come in different heights, and both 3/8" and Euro dovetails are available.

Excellent advice!!! Those old R7 front sites are a pain to find...especially with the hood.

Reactions: jbuchse17