Finding A Better Pellet For Groundhogs

I have only used JSB .25 kings at 850 fps. At a target range of 25 yards I have never got a pass through on head shots on raccoons, opossums, or even a body shot on a crow. No problem dropping a 28 lbs coon with kings to the head. All were DRT except for 2 raccoons which I'm pretty sure were nailed 3/4 - 1" above and between the eyes. No body or blood found. My guess is that the pellet bounced on the skull. It is hard to tell at night if the raccoon's head is looking up or towards you, or angled down. Unless the head is angled down the slope presented by the skull increase the chance of a non-penetration. I have read stories of even a 22LR bouncing off of a raccoon's head. My most recent shot, 2 raccoons were present, a smaller one presenting a side profile and a large one facing head on. I took the smaller one not to chance the pellet failing to penetrate the skull. BTW that same JSB kings work well on a lung shot on a raccoon but it walked off over 70'. Never found the body in the morning, only a blood trail leading up to a puddle of blood about 12" in diameter. Some other animal must of took it for dinner.

I do agree that first and foremost accuracy is needed , but only to the point that you can hit what you are aiming at. I'm open to any suggestions as to what type of pellets that would work best for a head on shot on raccoons. Currently I'm reluctant to take that kind of shot because of 2 failures. I have yet to try MK2 heavies, but is practiced with H&N barracudas, Crosman premiers and polymags that all group well enough to hit better than .75" at 25 yards. I don't know if they would be better than the JSB kings.

BlackICE I really dont think the hardness of a pellet will keep from having deflections. The shape of the pellet just lends itself to being deflected when hit at just the right angle on a hard surface. Basically use caution as you did when you are shooting animals with hard skulls that have profiles that help to create deflections. I really cant answer why you have never had a pass thru using Kings at the range you did and power level. Everything I have shot with that same power level out to 40 yds has easily penetrated completely and I had a King completely penetrate a marmots skull at 80 yds that was fired with 40 fpe at the muzzle. Polymags are designed to have less penetration and more disruption and I would probably stay away from them for skull penetration based on your results so far with standard diabolo pellets. But If you are willing to try them post up the results because they might do what you want and you wont know until you try them. I try to stay away from body shots on larger animals with a pellet rifle because they dont do allot of internal damage like a 223 or 204 would. I had a large female coon make it 25 yds after a solid chest shot from a 22 lr so my airguns are brain shots only.