• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FINALLY, zero to do with shooting....

For the past year or so I've been after this damn rat, that's been eating my garden. I've seen it once in the day light and of course I didn't have a gun with me. Well this year it came back so I went high tech, and bought a trail cam to verify it's a rat and not a Possum. Yep trail cam did its job and confirmed a rat, a damn smart one too. It got one of my ripening tomatoes so GAME on. Last year the thing could strip the bait from the traps and not set it off. This year, it set off a trap, but left the peanut butter, I reset it, a day ago and this morning I got the little bastard, except it wasn't so little. Funny thing was, the trap was sprung but the rat was a foot or so away from it, looking fine, dead but fine. i scared it to death, but it's dead and that's all that matters.

The trail cam I bought works great for the price, solar powered, programmable, blue tooth and wifi and the app works well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BVDTLVHK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The rat trap was too small/weak. Cracked it's skull but didn't hold it. Same thing happens when killing chipmunks in a mouse trap.
No, it was a full size rat trap, It's caught others that weren't as fast. But, as I stated zero sign of trauma. At least now I can have some garden fresh tomatoes, unless it has a friend but it hasn't shown up on the trail cam.

No, it was a full size rat trap, It's caught others that weren't as fast. But, as I stated zero sign of trauma. At least now I can have some garden fresh tomatoes, unless it has a friend but it hasn't shown up on the trail cam.
When you start finding dead critters next to a sprung trap it is an indicator that the trap is too small and/or weak for the size of your problem. If your rats are approaching squirrel size or bigger the Victor is a marginal choice. Koro out of Canada and Black Cat out of India punch in a different weight class. The Black Cat in particular is a fantastic trap with a sensitive trigger.

In any case rapping him on the nose cracked his noggin and got him killed. Congrats on the win.

Reactions: qball
When you start finding dead critters next to a sprung trap it is an indicator that the trap is too small and/or weak for the size of your problem. If your rats are approaching squirrel size or bigger the Victor is a marginal choice. Koro out of Canada and Black Cat out of India punch in a different weight class. The Black Cat in particular is a fantastic trap with a sensitive trigger.

In any case rapping him on the nose cracked his noggin and got him killed. Congrats on the win.
Sadly today a female humming bird got in the trap, I'd used some pork fat. It must have been after the high energy fat. I'm now going to do what I should have done ages ago, put a wire box/cover over them.

Reactions: qball