• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Finally! Some nice FT practice weather!

I got to setup my X50 for the upcoming season finally. Mid 50s, light breeze, and not a cloud to be scene. I modified/stole an idea from @oaks1450 for my target/ranging practice this year. I took these supplies:

20230325_161907.jpg

....and made ranging and target carts out of them like this:

20230326_105225.jpg
20230326_125736.jpg

and then jammed them into the ground every yard from 10-20yds and then every 5yds out to 55. It worked great for getting my wheel setup and figuring out approximate DOPE at given ranges. This time around I did mark the cards for whatever range they were placed at but in the future they'll be completely random. Only a couple more weeks until the first match here!

🤔could you explain the use of your supplies to me? I think i get the concept...but still confused as to how this helps 🤷‍♂️
I'd honestly like to know more about how people use what they use and why. ... curious as to what others do that I could also benefit from🎩🤙
Basically the baseball card is just something to focus the scope on for ranging reasons. I got a new scope so had to setup my parallax wheel and this seemed like a good method, and it did work well.

From there I just had to holdover and take a practice shot at the target. The goal is to hit the 1/2" diamond under 20yds, the 1" inner circle at 20-40yds, or the 1.5" outer circle at 40-55yds

I use to do something similar. I resisted using an app that gives you your clicks. I wanted to see each yardage with my own eyes. Then I finally gave it a try, and havent' looked back. Just shoot your zero yardage, 10 and 55. Put the clicks into the program and it gives you your clicks for every yard from 10-55. They are spot on. I use Charigun Pro, but there are others out there as well that will also print your tape for your turret.

Chas

I use to do something similar. I resisted using an app that gives you your clicks. I wanted to see each yardage with my own eyes. Then I finally gave it a try, and havent' looked back. Just shoot your zero yardage, 10 and 55. Put the clicks into the program and it gives you your clicks for every yard from 10-55. They are spot on. I use Charigun Pro, but there are others out there as well that will also print your tape for your turret.

Chas
I use Strelok Pro myself and its definitely pretty darn close. This is my way of verifying everything.

Reactions: shambozzie
Basically the baseball card is just something to focus the scope on for ranging reasons. I got a new scope so had to setup my parallax wheel and this seemed like a good method, and it did work well.

From there I just had to holdover and take a practice shot at the target. The goal is to hit the 1/2" diamond under 20yds, the 1" inner circle at 20-40yds, or the 1.5" outer circle at 40-55yds
I see now!🤙 never thought about the card thing. 🤔 gunna try it out sometime for sure

I got to setup my X50 for the upcoming season finally. Mid 50s, light breeze, and not a cloud to be scene. I modified/stole an idea from @oaks1450 for my target/ranging practice this year. I took these supplies:

View attachment 343431

....and made ranging and target carts out of them like this:

View attachment 343432View attachment 343433

and then jammed them into the ground every yard from 10-20yds and then every 5yds out to 55. It worked great for getting my wheel setup and figuring out approximate DOPE at given ranges. This time around I did mark the cards for whatever range they were placed at but in the future they'll be completely random. Only a couple more weeks until the first match here!
where are the yellow stick in's from ? wally world garden ?

I found some very large (10") popsicle sticks in a dollar store and picked up a pack. I have been using a very fine marker to put an intricate design on it and using that and the grain of the wood to focus on. This year, I am going to get string that can be frayed into very fine fibres and staple a piece on the stick i will place at set distances. I will fray the ends until fibres are very fine and use that to focus. When I can see the fibres and the pattern in the string clearly, I mark my scope.

The other part I do similar to most, marking every yard from 10-25 and then maybe two/three yard increments. So 40, 42, 45, 47, 50, .... My Competition 40 has over an inch between 50 and 55, so it is very easy to extrapolate between 2 and 3 yard marks.

I find colour not very helpful in range finding and always look for extremely fine detail to focus on. The fibres in the string, frayed ends, paint chip edges, lettering on the target, fine pattern rust spots, ....

This is a great way to set up a new scope. I would recommend at some point confirming the long yardages with some shot up field targets. My scopes focus a little differently on paper versus metal. I've started using the string connection on the face plate to focus on since it's usually bare metal, so the color of the face plate won't affect the focus. We use stainless steel fishing leaders on our targets and they focus very nicely.

Once you get your wheel solid, I would get markings for 37, 43, 47 and 53 yards. I used to do everything past 20 at 5 yard increments, but the extra precision is worth the effort with a 12 fpe gun.

I found some very large (10") popsicle sticks in a dollar store and picked up a pack. I have been using a very fine marker to put an intricate design on it and using that and the grain of the wood to focus on. This year, I am going to get string that can be frayed into very fine fibres and staple a piece on the stick i will place at set distances. I will fray the ends until fibres are very fine and use that to focus. When I can see the fibres and the pattern in the string clearly, I mark my scope.

The other part I do similar to most, marking every yard from 10-25 and then maybe two/three yard increments. So 40, 42, 45, 47, 50, .... My Competition 40 has over an inch between 50 and 55, so it is very easy to extrapolate between 2 and 3 yard marks.

I find colour not very helpful in range finding and always look for extremely fine detail to focus on. The fibres in the string, frayed ends, paint chip edges, lettering on the target, fine pattern rust spots, ....
Sorry, I didn't see this post before I posted the same thing, although my post was at least poorly written.

I misranged some targets on Sunday between 40 and 50 yards, so I went out and re-ranged my 40, 43, 45 and 47 markings. They were all off by about 1-2 mm. Nothing a little effort and white-out won't fix.
I've had to make a conscious effort to not move my head when looking at the pointer. Look through the scope with the left eye closed, then look at the pointer with the right eye closed. Then close both eyes and shoot.

Reactions: davit66

Are you setting this up for hunter? If so was curious how the X50 ranges at 16x.