• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Finally, some blood on the R9

70C2E60B-6867-49DE-A745-94662316937C.1639247815.jpeg
I’ve had little to no time for hunting this year. Have spent maybe 8 hours in the woods altogether since opening day of gun deer. Only one day off a week, I try to catch first light and get a good two hours sitting, have not seen a shooter.

I finally pulled out the R9 one day before I went home, figuring it would not disturb the deer where I like to hunt. Popped one squirrel and fried it as soon as I got home, lol.

That’s the first time I shot the R9 since I switched scopes and zeroed. The leaf is covering the intestine that the 10.34 JSB dragged out through the exit. Yeah, just a .177 springer, lol.

Though I had to sell my beloved only one of a few in existence R9 custom jobs, I want another R9. Great guns. 

Also I’m not big of fan using rim fires for squirrels and above your head creatures for down range safety issues, unless you use subsonic rounds. If you have a clean miss your standard power 22 lr rim fire can easily travel a half a mile down range to who knows where and hit something you don’t want hit. 

springers and lower powered pcps are the ideal for the tree dwellers. Of course this is my view. 

Though I had to sell my beloved only one of a few in existence R9 custom jobs, I want another R9. Great guns. 

Also I’m not big of fan using rim fires for squirrels and above your head creatures for down range safety issues, unless you use subsonic rounds. If you have a clean miss your standard power 22 lr rim fire can easily travel a half a mile down range to who knows where and hit something you don’t want hit. 

springers and lower powered pcps are the ideal for the tree dwellers. Of course this is my view.

I agree. To me, a 12 gauge and some high velocity #4 loads are #1 for tree squirrels. But they most definitely disturb the deer. Best squirrel hunting around me is usually near to where they bed.

@Ezana4CE About 20 yards and he was moving towards me. As soon as he turned I let it fly in his ribs, quartering. Sounded like somebody popped a balloon.

I fixed french toast for the fam and fried him up right after in the same skillet. Cut in 4 pieces- 2 hind legs, abdominal back section, and the upper with ribs and “wings”. Then I take and split the two sides of the rib cage internally so it lies more flat in the grease. Dipped in egg, rolled in seasoned flour, quick fry to brown and finished in oven 30 minutes at 375. Me and my oldest daughter are the only two left in the house that eat squirrels so a squirrel makes a decent little snack, especially on a belly full of French toast ;)

Thanks. I didn’t have time to mess around and wait for a perfect shot. Sometimes they have a few extra leaps left but that’s a kill shot every time so I took it. Just don’t take your eyes off him when he runs or you might not find him. Deflated him pretty quick though.

Forgot to mention, I rolled the pieces up together in foil. When you finish them in the oven they are not exactly crispy on the outside, think more like church’s chicken less like kfc, lol.