Finally, on paper at 300 yards with the 177 RW temp -10f

It was a very interesting day here in Minnesota. 11° below zero when I woke up. That’s Fahrenheit. That’s cold. It’s supposed to get to 20 below tonight.

I finally had a chance to shoot on my new 300 yard range. I was of course shooting out the window. There would be no other way to do it.

However, I was shooting a 177. And with the kind of mirage you get with those temperatures, I could not see my impacts. That meant walking to and fro starting at 200, then 250, then finally out to 300. I’m not sure how many times I made that walk. Certainly more times than I have fingers and toes.

Once, I had to load some staples, and I had left the stapler out at the target. It literally felt like I was burning my fingers with matches as I tried to handle it. You wouldn’t want to stick your tongue on that… The snow crunches like nothing you’ve ever heard. I had five layers of clothing on, and I was cold each time I came back.

I had switched my 17 barrel to my red wolf with the Heli board. I also put on a different scope. And new rings. Needless to say it was quite a process to find the target at 300. As I said, no visual feedback without walking up to the target.

Finally!

62BA9A22-36A1-46FF-BB8B-1D09B3E87A5D.1641086169.jpeg
3D46B830-28BB-48B0-B838-A1041AF4C0A8.1641086169.jpeg

NSA 15 grain. Cracking the sound barrier. I need a new chronograph.

mike

Thanks! I was curious given the nice round holes if you were shooting really fast.

The high here was 78°F, but we paid for it with severe weather, tornadoes, etc. Luckily they did not hit me, but I am still waiting to hear from a friend who was in the path of one.

NSA 15 grain. Cracking the sound barrier. I need a new chronograph.

mike

If you shoot from inside with warm temperature where speed of sound is 343m/s at 20c it is only 316-317m/s at -12c... So when you have bullet traveling from hot air to cold air you might go supersonic with alot slower speeds.. on otherhand if you would shoot outside your guns performance would drop also and probably not shoot that hot.

Oh man my worst experience was shooting range trip in military when it was -33c.. talking about feeling your fingers after 2hours of trying to aim and shoot lol

Now that you are on paper it'll go better next time. Did you dial the elevation turret way up then holdover the rest using the reticle?

Negative 2F at 6am here yesterday at the airport. I haven't shot anything in almost 3 weeks because I identify as a fair weather shooter. Cold is bad enough but add wind chill + projectiles blowing all over the place - no way, LOL. I take the opportunity to swage slugs and get my cartridge reloading done with the wood stove cranking instead. And well waste time on the internet as well as reading a good novel.

Steve,

I was able to hold dead on. I have the FX no limit 30 mm scope mounts on this rifle. At least I had it. I have now completely taken that rifle apart put the 22 barrel back on that red wolf, switch the 17 back to its original. So I need to cite it all over again.

I wish I understood the street lock.

I’ve hardly been shooting at all it’s been so cold and windy. Lots of pheasant hunting.

mike