• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Finally mounted my scope

My dad gave me a Thompson/Center Hawken-Hunter 3x9x40 center-fire scope. After a brief mix up from getting the wrong scope rings, I picked up the right ones and voila.

All I have to do now is sight it in. I messed with it a little and got the horizontal close, but the vertical is off by about 5 inches @ 15 feet. I hope I don't have to shim the scope, I've never done that before and really I can only guess on how to do it.

Anyway, here's a pic of the mounted scope ...
tn_scoped.1599176445.jpg

Shimming is easy, but only should be done if needed. Both my dianas need rear shims, and if I recall correctly it was 2 pieces of coke can....

Thanks, that what I was thinking, put a strip or two from an aluminum can under the scope on the rear mount to 'tilt' the cross hairs toward the actual point of impact, so I don't have to "dial in" so much that I hit the stop on the scope.

Got to ask. Is the point of impact 5 inches high or 5 inches low at 15 feet? If the scope has 1/4 MOA adjustments at 100 yds then each click would move the reticle about 1/128 at 3 yds(15feet) or 640 clicks for 5 inches. That's a lot. Either my math is way off (could very well be) or something else is going on. Don't think a couple layers of Coke can will do it. Also that center-fire scope probably has it's parallax set for 100 yds. Would think a target would be pretty blurry at 15 feet.

It's ~5" LOW at 15 feet (your math is off a bit, 15 feet is *5* yards not 3) and my bad, it's a muzzle loader scope (if that makes any difference). And yes the target was a bit blurry that close, but not much. It was about that far off on the horizontal and 2 full turns of the adjuster brought it to almost where it should be.

Look through that T/C Hawken scope at something 20yrds away. While aiming at something, move your head around. You will see your crosshairs moving around. Its very difficult to have pinpoint accuracy unless you are the master of a repeatable cheek weld. That's why parallax adjustment are critical. You set your parallax on the scope for the yardage you are shooting and no more dancing crosshairs. I offered you a scope in your other topic but I didn't get a PM from you. Last chance for a free parallax adjustable scope.

Sorry about my bad math. I am just trying to relate your problem to the one I had with my Hatsan SFP. I had to raise the rear of my scope rail 3/32" to get the POI pretty well centered at 20yds, however the centerline of its scope is about 3 inches above the bore. Yours looks more like 1 1/2". 

Have you shot it at longer distances, say 30 feet.

Not yet, I can't shoot in my backyard anymore since they "developed" the field behind my house (cretins) so I have to shoot in the basement. The windage was about the same distance off +/- 5" and two full turns of the screw brought it close to being in line. I will go to my dad's house tomorrow or the next day where I have room to shoot and sight it in for 25/30 yards. It will be interesting to see the point of impact at that distance