• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Finally made the plunge and purchased my first PCP! Benj Akela

I finally was able to get into the PCP realm and i chose the Benjamin Akela. I have always had break barrel .177 and .22 rifles, and the obvious powder burners. But i could never justify spending that kind of money on a pellet rifle. Well I am getting a little older, and the want for a PCP hasn't faded, but getting into the "adult money" made this purchase more and more of a reality. Then the older and wiser brain started to kick in and tell myself that i only shoot my powder burners once a year or so, so why not spend the money on gun/tool/toy that i will get a lot of use out of! I haven't been as excited to hit the purchase button on a website in years! And with pyramid air having a warehouse practically in my back yard, the gun arrived the next day!!!! Unfortunately the pump is delayed and wont arrive till tomorrow. I am so excited to finally have this thing and cant wait to start using it and begin eliminating the squirrel population in my yard. I opted for a Hawke 3-9x50 scope which may be overkill but we'll see how she works. 

I'll post some pics when I get everything mounted.

its going to be awesome ... i had a squirrel and rabbit infesfation here that was wreaking havok on my attempts to garden and chewing up my house and wires on my harage door .. it was bad and popping off a firearm everyday i didnt want to do .. so i tried about 6 or 7 different break barrels up to several hundred dollars and they proved to be complegely ineffective to knock a dent i the problem .. afted i got the pcp i was racking them up 10 a day for a few weeks before i finally got things under control lol .. but yeah ive never looked back ..'gave' all but one springer away to friends and family ..

Congrats. I bought one in .22 when they first come out. Bought a 1" raiser for mounting a scope. Even with my high rings it was hard to see thru with cheek rest at it lowest. It's a fine shooter. One of my go tos for tree rats. Quite, lightweight, accurate. Gets as many tree rats as my high dollar FX and Daystates. I've always had a compressor and bottles, but with only 3000psi fill on the Akela, it shouldn't be bad at all with a foot pump keeping it topped off.

Update!!! 

I received the knock off handpump last night and was fairly pleased with the build quality on it. Only thing that could be improved that i noticed is the threads were pretty sub par. But everything seals and it works! One thing that took me some time to figure out is it wouldn't get off of 0 psi after like 5 minutes of pumping. I started to get upset but then started getting desperate, and I opened the lever on the gun while I was pumping, and big sigh of relief in not to much time i had the gun up to pressure. First time shooting a PCP and i am impressed. It isn't as quite as i imagined but is noticeably quieter than my break barrel. 

I get my scope and mounts tonight and cannot wait to get this sucker zeroed in and start to figure out the ins and outs of the gun! My basement pellet trap is awaiting!!!! 

The poor squirrels aren't going to know what hit them!!! 

Way to go Katcher! Congratulations! I went down a similar path. I have a number of firearms I rarely shoot because I have to drive somewhere, shoot, drive home, clean the guns, yada, yada, yada.

Now I shoot almost daily. We're in the middle of a blizzard today. I dialed the power down on my little Dreamline and shot on my 10 meter "range"--the dining room/office. 

But you know how this works with air rifles. You only need one more. 😜

UPDATE: Still don't have the gun, Pyramid Air, issued a replacement, i shipped mine back, and apparently the new gun is "lost." FedEx said they didn't get the package, Pyramid Air is saying they gave it to FedEx. Currently waiting for a response one how to move forward. I feel like I was teased with the first one and now I'm going on over 3 weeks since my first order. Really getting frustrated and wondering if I should pick a different option or if this is a sign it wasn't my time to get a PCP.

UGHHHHH

UPDATE: Still don't have the gun, Pyramid Air, issued a replacement, i shipped mine back, and apparently the new gun is "lost." FedEx said they didn't get the package, Pyramid Air is saying they gave it to FedEx. Currently waiting for a response one how to move forward. I feel like I was teased with the first one and now I'm going on over 3 weeks since my first order. Really getting frustrated and wondering if I should pick a different option or if this is a sign it wasn't my time to get a PCP.

UGHHHHH

I might have missed it, but why was it sent back?

UGHHHHH

I might have missed it, but why was it sent back?

The "Floating barrel" was not floating, and resting on the tank straps. It damaged the hell out of the shroud and strap when removing the shroud. Pyramid Air customer service was great and I am hoping the replacement gun get found, as they are currently out of stock until April/May

Congrats on the new Akela! To improve eye-to-scope sight picture, I just completely Removed the adjustable cheek rest which then provides another ~1/2" or so of lowering and it was spot on for me.

Oops, just read your follow ups, sorry the new gun is "lost" but in these weird Covid-influenced shipping times that seems quite common. Hope they find it soon and get you sorted out!