Finally, I was able to order the Altaros M24 with shipping to the USA

Seeing how most of us just grab a powder burner for anything over 200 yards, at this point, how would you rate the gun? You’ve had some absolutely horrible weather conditions to judge a gun. But as with any guy who has been in the game for a while, I’m sure you have some gut feelings. Do you think the gun has the potential to be worth its weight as a 200 yard and in gun? Something the average Joe can get good results out of. Or does it take a degree at PCPU to live with the gun and extract the most out of it?

Seeing how most of us just grab a powder burner for anything over 200 yards, at this point, how would you rate the gun? You’ve had some absolutely horrible weather conditions to judge a gun. But as with any guy who has been in the game for a while, I’m sure you have some gut feelings. Do you think the gun has the potential to be worth its weight as a 200 yard and in gun? Something the average Joe can get good results out of. Or does it take a degree at PCPU to live with the gun and extract the most out of it?
Vetmx, Other than a few scope sight in shots at 50 yards, I have not taken a single shot 51 to 199 yards. I will say that the M24 is "doable" at 200 yards. My Texan .257 LSS is very "doable" at 200 yards. My focus is longer distances of 600 to 900 yards if possible. So I will leave the "short game" to another shooter to report.

Qball, it would be ok with me if you posted your comments about the M24 on this thread.

I’ll post my short impression here.

- it looks cool with everything to make it look like the M24 rifle
- the tank is very small, it is around the barrel like the plenum around Panthera’s barrel. Very cool design but limited shot count or designed to be tethered
- Limited power thanks to its small plenum and relatively short barrel, max about 80 FPE or 112joules
- once tune it can be extremely consistent I had 10 shot ES of 7 and 5 consecutive shots that were same exact speed
- very accurate, easy sub MOA, we were hitting soda can sized targets at 330 yards and 10 inch disk at 400 yards
- doesn’t seem like NSA slugs, at least not the 38.9 grain NSA
- Remington 700 mount so you can put it in a chassis for a Remington 700
- loud, the muzzle blast is significant

pretty impressed honestly. Not going to order one but it certainly is worth a look. Not a lot of option to tune it but shoots Altaros 50 grain smooth slugs around 850 fps with great results.

This is the 10 inch disk at 400 yards. Missed a few times too but the fact we can hit it with relative ease as long as wind doesn't switch is impressive. Those Altaros slugs are amazing.
IMG_1948.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ll post my short impression here.

- it looks cool with everything to make it look like the M24 rifle
- the tank is very small, it is around the barrel like the plenum around Panthera’s barrel. Very cool design but limited shot count or designed to be tethered
- Limited power thanks to its small plenum and relatively short barrel, max about 80 FPE or 112joules
- once tune it can be extremely consistent I had 10 shot ES of 7 and 5 consecutive shots that were same exact speed
- very accurate, easy sub MOA, we were hitting soda can sized targets at 330 yards and 10 inch disk at 400 yards
- doesn’t seem like NSA slugs, at least not the 38.9 grain NSA
- Remington 700 mount so you can put it in a chassis for a Remington 700
- loud, the muzzle blast is significant

pretty impressed honestly. Not going to order one but it certainly is worth a look. Not a lot of option to tune it but shoots Altaros 50 grain smooth slugs around 850 fps with great results.

This is the 10 inch disk at 400 yards. Missed a few times too but the fact we can hit it with relative ease as long as wind does switch is impressive. Those Altaros slugs are amazing.
View attachment 420953
Qball, great intel for others. Good to know your distances at 400 yards. I have to drive 3 hours to a very long distance range in San Luis Obispo for 400-900 yards. Perhaps, you, your M24 buddy and I can hookup to shoot long distance sometime.

Reactions: qball
This is not a review. Just a teaser. I now have about 400 rounds through the M24. .25 cal. I will have many things to report, features I like and don't like when I am done testing it's long range capabilities. Right now, I'm limited to only 200 yards at my club range and 300 yards at a different public range which I have not been yet with the M24.

I only shoot long ranges of 200 yard plus. Straight out of the box, I zeroed at 50 yards and went straight to 200 yards. My initial groups were like buckshot and spread out in a 10 inch circle. I was very disappointed.

I did not give up. And in the past 6 different range days and about 400 rounds, I was able to close the groups to within a 3 inch group at 200 yards. Still not what I was expecting. With my Texan .257 LSS, I can split playing cards at 200 yards and in a 1 to 2 inch group. Or less that 1 shooters MOA.

I think the barrel needed all 400 rounds to break it in. ( I clean my barrel after 100 rounds) Along with lots of tuning adjustments with the Altaros Queen 60 grain slugs, my groups are shown in the picture. Please note that the winds today were about 7 to 10 mph, and swirling right to left. High humidity with pending rain storm coming.

I won't know the real potential of the M24 till I shoot beyond 300 yards with a maximum of 1000 yards at an outdoor range 4 hour drive from my house. This won't happen for several months due the winter weather in California.

Like I mentioned, I will have several things I like and don't like to mention in a full review in the Spring. The bulls eye in the picture are 3 inch round.

If you can please keep your comments "on topic" I would like to hear from you.

View attachment 419519View attachment 419521View attachment 419522View attachment 419523
Clearly you know what you’re doing and have the ability to wring out the accuracy from this thing. Let us all not forget that you are talking PB distances with an air rifle that it seems like only 2 of you have in the United States. I am very grateful for all of the info you are passing on to us. Good luck!

Hi Brass,
Thanks for chiming in.
I still have not shot past 300 yards. But hopefully will in the next month or so.

So I am reserving my final comments until then.

I think there are many M24 operators in the US. Hopefully they will report on the short game.

I'm not familiar with the " PB " term you posted in regards to distances? Plz explain. Thanks