Finally I got the DAYSTATE RED WOLF HP for testing: SLUGS

Hello Guys:

Some of you might remember this post: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/my-quest-for-the-perfect-long-range-airgun/

I manage to get a RED WOLF HP, I haven´t have much time for testing but I will soon. Some of you might know that I love slugs (started like 1 year ago) and several ones say to me: The RW HP Barrel does not like much slugs. But since I am a hard head and I like to test for myself, I had to know that if is right or wrong.

When I test for slugs what I do is: 40m should be almost all slugs touching each other, if the do, I go to 75M, if I can reach 75M moa or submoa. Then I know for sure those will perform good up to 200m (maybe more, but the tests I made are up to 200m).

Start testing several NSA slugs (is what I have now) and it was totally true, the RW HP barrel I have does not like slugs much, until I start shooting the NSA 20.2 grains dish base 

https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com/collections/22-caliber/products/20-2-grain-375-count-22-cal-slug-nsa

and to my surprise I manage to make several sub moa groups shooting in mid (my RW shoots the redesigned monster HIGH 1000fps MID 930fps LOW 870fps) shooting @ 980 fps:

1580296282_8000315475e31685a3270f2.63514416_01.jpg

1580296282_21400311565e31685a5956f6.73460772_02.jpg

1580296282_15226734125e31685a6f78c2.65491223_03.jpg

1580296282_21118753545e31685a85b7d8.00220944_04.jpg

I am new shooting the RW HP, and maybe this is not new at all for RW users, but for me I was kind of surprised! Anyone else with great experiences shooting slugs from the RW?

I still need to make more tests with pellets, but this one is for sure on the top list of the most accurate airguns I had the pleasure to shoot! more to come ... 

PS: Out of .22 monsters redesigned waiting for the shipment.

I shoot Pro Hunter slugs through my Red Wolf and they shoot really really well . I tested the JSB Slugs for Pavel and through my Red Wolf and they were amazing . Sub inch at 100 yards easily it seems ? The Pro Hunter and JSB group perfectly through my Red Wolf running about 944 FPS . I have tried loads of different sorts and not that many group that well sadly , I have now found what I need and only use those , The groups are fantastic to be honest . 

Good Luck with your testing buddy. 

Rog 

Very nice! My EDGun R3 Long likes the NSA 20.2 also, at 975 FPS. Are those groups at 75M? 

FYI, my testing with them in the Eddy yielded a BC of right at 0.073 at 110 yards. The BC seems to improve the farther out you get with the NSA slugs. At 95 yards, the BC was 0.070. I haven't tested out past 110 yards yet, but will get out to 225 soon. I also have the new FX Hybrids to try out, but haven't done so yet.

I bought a sample pack from NSA tried them in my .22 Safari and not much luck I did start with the 24.8 and went up mainly because that it shoots the JSB 25.4 pellets so well. But it is Winter time here and cold and snow so when things warm up I will do some more testing and will try the lighter ones and maybe drop down on the power levels too as I was shooting them on High Power. I tried the FX slugs and they shot OK at 50 yards and 75 yards about 1 inch groups but at 100 they opened up a lot! 

I bought a sample pack from NSA tried them in my .22 Safari and not much luck I did start with the 24.8 and went up mainly because that it shoots the JSB 25.4 pellets so well. But it is Winter time here and cold and snow so when things warm up I will do some more testing and will try the lighter ones and maybe drop down on the power levels too as I was shooting them on High Power. I tried the FX slugs and they shot OK at 50 yards and 75 yards about 1 inch groups but at 100 they opened up a lot!

Try the 20.2 you might be surprised. I have almost all NSA slugs in .22 and those where the best by far (the only ones I did not try where the 17.5gn) but as you, the 24.8gn NSA did not work on my barrel too.

Good information for me to see, thank you for posting. This is why we make so many weights and sizes. Those 24.8 grain in an FX gun shoot really well, not so good in a Red Wolf HP it appears. However, looks like the 20.2 grain do. We will offer more and more designs and weights over time so we can get as many guns able to shoot slugs as possible, it all takes time though. Thank you for posting this great info.

Nick, thanks for continually improving your line and offering more options. 

Have you considered offering a .216 or even .215 option for the .22 slugs? I have a feeling one of the reasons the 20.2 (and in .25, the 26.8) shoot well in pellet barrels is that they are slightly less diameter than the heavier options, plus shorter and the probe doesn't have to jam them in the leade as a starting point for the shot. I can feel a difference when chambering the 20.2 and the 24.8 grain NSA slugs in my .22 EDgun R3 Long single shot. Same story for the 26.8 grain in .25 barrels…

@edosan - in your quest for long range airgunning why did you get the Red Wolf in .22 and not .25?

Got it in .22 , .25 and .30 😉 one cal at a time, still the .22 is the one I use the most. Also I can use it in 25 and 50m Benchrest locally, since is the max caliber allowed (open). So I can test it good. 👍

I have done quite good shooting monsters @ 75 and 100m, for Target those work great @ long distances, sometimes even better than .30 44.7gn jsb depending on the wind

Never got lucky with other rifles in.25 but I will test it in the RW, maybe my luck changes

Mike the .216 die and punches are all here. I am finishing up two big overseas orders and then I will get the .216 made. If I need to I will do .215 as well but I will wait until I see the results with the .216.

Great. I'd like to try those .216 in a sampler pack. I think the Eddy R3 Long would shoot the heavier ones well in that size. Just a feeling I have. It does shoot the 20.2 even better than the JSB RD Monsters, but I'd like it to shoot the 24.8 or 27.? grains if possible due to better BC and wind performance. The Eddy has more than enough power to push those over 950 FPS... Its easily under an inch most of the time with the 20.2 gr. at 110 yards (975 FPS).

Nice shooting, @sorensd & @edosan

I plan on testing a few different NSA's out of my RedWolf .22HP soon. A limited sample size did show some promise the last time I shot. I'll post results soon.

--Carl

20.2 gn you will see ;) thanks!

Yes, can’t wait for the .216 dia. I would be very interested to try those in the 20.2’s! Also what’s the coating I see on some of your slugs ,Moly or Graphite?

Yup, pretty sure H&N slugs have a coating