Finally got the R9 sorted out

I know a lot of you folks have great luck with the R9/HW95, but it has not gone as well for me. I have had two. The first caused me so much frustration I sold it. The second I was determined to learn to shoot well. At some point I cut 4" off the end of the barrel and added a muzzle weight which did seem to help with my offhand shooting, but sitting I still wasn't able to obtain the kind of consistency I was hoping for. The basic problem has been unpredictable fliers, by that I mean fliers with no apparent cause that destroy confidence that you will hit what you are aiming at. A couple years back the spring finally broke, so I installed a 12 ft-lb Vortek kit and seal, which did make the gun a much more pleasant shooter, but didn't solve my problem with fliers.

After letting it sit for a year or two, I decided to try again. I had recently bought some AA Express pellets to try in my TX, and decided to give them a try in the R9. Well they fit nice and tight in the breach, which this gun likes, and groups seemed tighter than the previous best pellet, the JSB 8.44/4.53. So a lot of good groups, gun was holding zero, but still those aggravating fliers, usually left or right. I remembered that left/right fliers can be caused by too much shoulder pressure, at least from sitting, so I backed way off on the shoulder pressure and that did the trick.

Here are tonight's groups from 35 yards sitting with sticks. Nothing dramatic, but only one shot that might be considered a flier in group 3. The one problem that remains is a tendency for the rifle to shoot high for the first 10 shots. The movement of group center from right to left I attribute to the wind having died down for groups 4 and 5. At this point I looks like the rifle will be a solid 2 MOA shooter. I am okay with that. Not every rifle needs to be 1 MOA capable. As long as its behavior is predicable, you can learn to work within its capabilities.

P5170167 .1652838971.jpg

Reactions: pdxFrank
Bryan, thanks for the suggestion. If the Crosman HPs work out they would make a good hunting pellet.

Moog, the fliers I was referring to were well outside the outer 1 1/2" ring, and sometimes left, sometimes right. The group spoiler in group 3 might have been from a combination of wind plus the rifle still shooting high before it settled in. I'm not concerned about it either.

Now I need to order more of the AA Express pellets and hope they still fit as tight as the lot I have now, along with the Crosman HPs.

My groups don’t seem to open up for the wind until I reach out to 50 yards. At 50 with a on and off breeze my CPHP groups are 2-3”, vs about a quarter inch at 25 yards. But heavier pellets that are good for about 3/8”-1/2” at 25 will do 1 1/4-1 1/2 inches at 50 in the same wind.

I have not tested at different distances to determine how far I can shoot the Crosman Hollowpoints. I dialed in with the barracuda hunters at 25 and learned my hold at 50 yards and call it good, because I know they will work in the wind.

I don’t hold for wind, I use the gun within its limitations given the wind.

Brian, by the numbers wind drift for a typical pellet is around four times greater at 50 yards than at 25 yards. Which is why I generally shoot at shorter distances on days with high, variable winds. On days where the wind is steady, you can get surprisingly good groups in spite of the wind, but displaced left or right. The very big difference in group size you are reporting for the CPHPs suggests they are becoming unstable at distances over 25 yards, which is what typically happens with hollow points in my experience. The Hades are an exception, but then they aren't really hollow points.

I see. Of the three Hollowpoints I have tested at 50 yards, two of them have never shot worse than 1.25” for 5 shots. That’s Barracuda Hunters and JSB Hades. Both of them shoot better than Crosman’s 10.5 grain copper coated domes.

I have not tested true JSB labeled domes but the 10.3 FX domes were decent as well. The Crosman Hollowpoints shoot fine at 50 in dead calm conditions but if the wind picks up at all it will drag that pellet a couple of inches out of the group.

Anyway just wanted to point out, the two best pellets I’ve shot at 50 yards were 10+ grains but were not domes.

My worst 5 shot group at 25 yards was about 3/4”. 

I haven’t tried any lighter domes.