Tuning Finally got my M3 to shoot slugs.

Since I got my impact M3 in it has been a struggle to get it to shoot slugs. I bought it with the superior linear and no matter what I did it just didn’t really like NSA 33, 36, or 38 grains slugs. Last week I installed the superior heavy though hoping my troubles would be over. I was wrong, it still didn’t like the 36 or 38 grain slugs at the speed I was shooting them at. I spent all week trying everything between 970-1100 but nothing worked. Until today when I was working. I was listening to Steve from AEAC talk about his time with the maverick and how it shot slugs best around 950. So I thought i’d give it a try.

I tuned my gun to 950 with the 36 grain slugs and shot a group at 100 yards… It was about 4” in diameter, so that was a no go and I went back to playing with high speed for an hour or two when I finally gave up. I thought why not try something even lower just to see and tuned it to 900. To my surprise, I got the best group of the day at about 2”. I was onto something. 

I then tried the 38 grain slugs with the same tune and it was even better. I decided to play around with the valve adjuster and then got a group that was promising. 3 Shots were probably withen .5” then two went somewhat flying. I decided to check my speed and to my surprise I was at 790 fps. It was simply to low for what I wanted, so I thought let’s try the 38 grain slugs at 900. I shot 4 shots and made a group about 2.5”. I then changed my grip on the rifle(wanting to make sure I tried everything) and got a group about 1.5-2”. I knew I was getting closer. so decided to open up the valve adjuster a tiny bit and see what happened and this was my next group. 

DE7D8B62-715F-47AF-BC6D-B53B2723C736.1630650640.jpeg
842963DF-21E1-45C8-8C47-DDF2ADD4B610.1630650641.jpeg
It was my first sub moa group at 100 yards with slugs since I’d purchased the gun and I was super excited. I’m not sure of the exact fps it’s shooting at as in my excitement I forgot to check but if I had to guess it’s probably around 920. The gun also feels a lot better to shoot at the lower fps and I’m getting a couple more shots per fil so i’m actually liking it quite a bit more down at this fps compared to 990 or so. Thought I would share what worked for me so others might me able to pick up on something that might help them. 

Man, I had similar experience with my .35 MKII ... In fact, I still haven't managed to get it to shoot slugs with any kind of reasonable accuracy (and there is no alternate liner for the .35).

When I finally gave up on the slugs and went back to 81g pellets, I wasn't able to get sub-MOA at 100 yards until I turned the gun down to about 750fps (around 100fpe)

WyoAirguns, I'm betting your accuracy issues aren't so much speed related as they are harmonics related. You may find the gun behaves much better with a little higher reg setting. I've seen both of those liners shoot well in the mid to upper 900s with quite a few weights, especially the heavy liner. Getting that reg setting a bit higher will really settle the shot cycle down. If you don't have the CF on the liner, I'd do that too, since it will help a lot with harmonics. So many of these FX guns do better shooting a good 3-5% below the knee/plateau, from what I've seen personally anyway. I hope that helps!