• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Finally Got my first NRL22 Win! Feb COF Breakdown inside...

Well boys, I went and did it. I finally got my first NRL22 match win! I had been consistently placing in the top 3 lately but yesterday was my day and I actually won one out at Beloit rifle club.
I'll post a couple of cool pics below, but first, let's look at the match and I'll give you a breakdown on the stages:

Stage 1:
1707068271260.png

Ok for this first stage, there is a lot of moving involved so you're going to have to have a game plan. I shot a 10/12 on this one and made a silly mistake that almost made me time out. I ended up asking "time?" on the final prone position with like 5 seconds left and somehow blazed the last 3 targets in that time - but this is something you should avoid. The game plan here should be to have your heavy bag ready to throw on top of the tripod and leave it there. Then have your small bag ready (to use under your stock) and toss it down on the prone mat right off the get. My mistake is that.... I forgot my small bag.... Oopsie. No problem, I just balled up my left fist and used it as my rear bag when shooting the prone positions. Also, from 25 years of competitive paintball I have the habit of having bent knees in sort of a combat shooting form. This is something I have to consciously think about when shooting off tripods and things like the pyramid/A-frame - and make myself straighten/lock my legs. I did that yesterday and shot way better than my typical paintball/combat bent-knee stance. The two shots I missed were from the standing position, and mostly due to a hasty position of my heavy bag where it was sorta sloping down on the left side, causing a not-so-perfect situation... Oh, also don't forget about the mag change. I loaded 2 mags with 6 each so it would force me to mag change (I may have forgotten without doing that!)

Stage 2:
1707068724610.png

This one is a single position 10 rounder with an easy to remember sequence. The key here is to take your time and shoot S L O W! I scored a 9/10 here. One flaw I have, also another good habit in paintball but somewhat bad habit in NRL22, is that I shoot REALLY FAST. I finished in like 58 seconds when I could have doubled that time and really concentrated on making my impacts. My haste cost me 1 impact.

Stage 3:
1707068865692.png

I cleaned this one, 12/12! I was the only one to do this at the match. For gear I always use an Arca bag for the pyramid stages because I don't want to fool with moving a bag around and wasting time. I usually take the top rung positions on the pyramid because I like standing tall. This time, my lizard brain whispered to me "get low" right before the "Engage!" call so I took a position on the 2nd lowest rung on the left side to start. Used my backpack filled with pillows to get stable and made my hits, then went up one rung on the same side and did the same. On the 55gal drum, my Accu-Tac bipod is the key here, since the legs and be positioned backwards 45 degrees. That allows me to lay the rifle across the top of that drum and create a modified prone situation which is very stable. Easily hit all 4 off of that. Then I repeated my previous strategy on the pyramid but on the other side since no positions can be repeated. This proved to be a perfect strategy, indicated by my clean score on this one.

Stage 4:
1707069129864.png

Tank trap stages are always a challenge. For this one I got a 10/12 and made sure again to focus on the locked leg stance instead of my combat habit of bending my knees. The other strategy here, since a mag change is required, is to load 2 mags with 6 each so it forces the mag change. A smarter thing would have been to load the first mag with 4 and then the second one with 8 so I wouldn't have had to reload in the middle of the 3rd tip. Pretty simple stage but that was my strategy.

Stage 5:
1707069262687.png

I cleaned this stage. For the seat position I used my Arca bag and my backpack squish bag to support my position. When I transitioned to the top I basically just did the same thing and made sure my pillow backpack was put to good use to get real stable. Also, I normally NEVER dial but on this stage since the targets are only at 1 distance I simply dialed 4MOA and held dead on. Easy stage to clean if your fundamentals are good.

I only missed 5 shots all day! Hopefully me taking the time to type this analysis early in the month will help people who will be shooting the Feb COF this month! Now, as promised, here are a few pics from the match:

Results:
1707069482952.png

1707069559002.png

@zer0dev and myself, AKA the Tomax & Xamot of this league! (Tomax there needs to work on looking a little less friendly - we'll work on that! Haha)

1707069643169.png

Thanks to everyone who participated in the match, the Match Director and staff, my sponsors, my supporters, Erik, and everyone else who supports me in any way, including you for reading this!

Cheers!

Last edited:
It does have a DFL on the end
Congrats.

I do prefer when a moderator have the same size as the shroud, those fat thing are horrible in my eyes.
Also why i shoot with my Huma on my Vulcan 3 even if in itself dont really need a moderator, but the short " barrel " looking those 4 - 5 inches longer just make the rifle look so much better.

Congrats.

I do prefer when a moderator have the same size as the shroud, those fat thing are horrible in my eyes.
Also why i shoot with my Huma on my Vulcan 3 even if in itself dont really need a moderator, but the short " barrel " looking those 4 - 5 inches longer just make the rifle look so much better.
Dude, totally! Thats why I got the Donny FX version, it is the same size as the shroud and works really well! Looks super cash-money while doing it! I have the same one on my spray painted Panthera Hunter Compact .22.

1707075156690.png

Nice shooting!

Just shot the match this morning. Was extremely wet and muddy up here in my area, so decided to use the RimX instead of the Paradigm. I need to find a chassis airgun to use so I don't risk hurting the walnut stock. We don't have the luxury or shooting from concrete position.... all of our lanes are grass, well mud today. lol

More people need to get out and shoot these matches. Honestly they are fun and you are able to learn quite a bit from them.

Reactions: AirShootist
Nice shooting!

Just shot the match this morning. Was extremely wet and muddy up here in my area, so decided to use the RimX instead of the Paradigm. I need to find a chassis airgun to use so I don't risk hurting the walnut stock. We don't have the luxury or shooting from concrete position.... all of our lanes are grass, well mud today. lol

More people need to get out and shoot these matches. Honestly they are fun and you are able to learn quite a bit from them.
Thanks, G!
Grab a new FX DRS Pro when they come out or simply snatch up a Panthera. My Pcat is a 600mm and totally rips with 30gr Javelins!

Your last line here is totally based and I couldn't agree more. I myself am still learning a lot and this is the best way to do it, by shooting matches!

Reactions: woogie_man
Congrats. I won't be shooting this COF until the end of the month, but if I can do half as well as you I will double my last score. I think. Math is hard.
Thanks, king!
ALWAYS watch 22 Lima Romeo's videos. He does the absolute best job out of anyone doing it and always has them released before the first weekend in a given month. I've become pretty good online buddies with him lately (and of course have been pressuring him into getting an air rifle)

Thanks, G!
Grab a new FX DRS Pro when they come out or simply snatch up a Panthera. My Pcat is a 600mm and totally rips with 30gr Javelins!

Your last line here is totally based and I couldn't agree more. I myself am still learning a lot and this is the best way to do it, by shooting matches!
I shot a Panthera I tricked out for the first NAC and placed 5th over all in the PRO division. I no longer have that rifle, and honestly while it shot great I want something other than a Panthera. Seems everyone and their mom's are shooting a Panthera.

I was shooting 34 grain javelin slugs at 980 fps and getting stellar groups.

What muzzle break is being used on the rifle? Have been looking for one to try on a few rifles and am unable to find anything.

I shot a Panthera I tricked out for the first NAC and placed 5th over all in the PRO division. I no longer have that rifle, and honestly while it shot great I want something other than a Panthera. Seems everyone and their mom's are shooting a Panthera.

I was shooting 34 grain javelin slugs at 980 fps and getting stellar groups.

What muzzle break is being used on the rifle? Have been looking for one to try on a few rifles and am unable to find anything.
The Panthera is the absolute best gun on the market right now, and the only really suitable air rifle for NRL22 style shooting - which is why everyone is using it!

I am not using a muzzle brake. Just the standard Donny FL FX moderator. I think muzzle brakes on air guns are silly. I'd much rather have a moderator than a loud brake that really doesn't do anything. I'll save brakes for things like my donkey-kickin' Poormetto State Armory AR10, which actually needs it.

My shootin' partner @zer0dev has been dabbling with a brake on his gun, not sure the make, but it doesn't seem to do anything except make the gun louder. No difference in group sizes from what I've seen - but maybe he will tell you otherwise.

Yes I'm dabbling with the brake. The idea is sound, strip air from the path of the projectile. Airguns expel a lot of... air. The amount that can be absorbed by an enclosed mod / shroud is finite, leaving air to escape, while a free flowing brake might do a better job. Yes it's louder but at a match it doesn't matter.

I have noticed a small improvement in recoil. There's not much with a mod as it is, but it's better with the brake. I have yet to test 50yd groups, but I want to do that soon. I'm hoping it will reduce the number or severity of flyers.

Two other small things I like... It's heavier which helps a bit with balance, and it's shorter. So if accuracy isn't worse I'll probably stick with it for those 2 reasons.

Yes I'm dabbling with the brake. The idea is sound, strip air from the path of the projectile. Airguns expel a lot of... air. The amount that can be absorbed by an enclosed mod / shroud is finite, leaving air to escape, while a free flowing brake might do a better job. Yes it's louder but at a match it doesn't matter.

I have noticed a small improvement in recoil. There's not much with a mod as it is, but it's better with the brake. I have yet to test 50yd groups, but I want to do that soon. I'm hoping it will reduce the number or severity of flyers.

Two other small things I like... It's heavier which helps a bit with balance, and it's shorter. So if accuracy isn't worse I'll probably stick with it for those 2 reasons.
Try the Silent Thunder Ordnance (STO) Pugio. Small mod but works great. Every bit as accurate and no mod, and much quieter.

What unit is it? Would like to get my hands on one and do the same thing.

I can see how they could be useful with the massive amount of air coming out of the barrel. Much like the breaks I have on my other rifles in the powder world. Would be fun to test and play with, and if anything it will look cooler. And yeah during a match it doesn't matter, and making the gun louder would be great as most people think of a "BB gun" as quiet. Its great to shock them with the sound.

Well boys, I went and did it. I finally got my first NRL22 match win! I had been consistently placing in the top 3 lately but yesterday was my day and I actually won one out at Beloit rifle club.
I'll post a couple of cool pics below, but first, let's look at the match and I'll give you a breakdown on the stages:

Stage 1:
View attachment 432082
Ok for this first stage, there is a lot of moving involved so you're going to have to have a game plan. I shot a 10/12 on this one and made a silly mistake that almost made me time out. I ended up asking "time?" on the final prone position with like 5 seconds left and somehow blazed the last 3 targets in that time - but this is something you should avoid. The game plan here should be to have your heavy bag ready to throw on top of the tripod and leave it there. Then have your small bag ready (to use under your stock) and toss it down on the prone mat right off the get. My mistake is that.... I forgot my small bag.... Oopsie. No problem, I just balled up my left fist and used it as my rear bag when shooting the prone positions. Also, from 25 years of competitive paintball I have the habit of having bent knees in sort of a combat shooting form. This is something I have to consciously think about when shooting off tripods and things like the pyramid/A-frame - and make myself straighten/lock my legs. I did that yesterday and shot way better than my typical paintball/combat bent-knee stance. The two shots I missed were from the standing position, and mostly due to a hasty position of my heavy bag where it was sorta sloping down on the left side, causing a not-so-perfect situation... Oh, also don't forget about the mag change. I loaded 2 mags with 6 each so it would force me to mag change (I may have forgotten without doing that!)

Stage 2:
View attachment 432084
This one is a single position 10 rounder with an easy to remember sequence. The key here is to take your time and shoot S L O W! I scored a 9/10 here. One flaw I have, also another good habit in paintball but somewhat bad habit in NRL22, is that I shoot REALLY FAST. I finished in like 58 seconds when I could have doubled that time and really concentrated on making my impacts. My haste cost me 1 impact.

Stage 3:
View attachment 432085
I cleaned this one, 12/12! I was the only one to do this at the match. For gear I always use an Arca bag for the pyramid stages because I don't want to fool with moving a bag around and wasting time. I usually take the top rung positions on the pyramid because I like standing tall. This time, my lizard brain whispered to me "get low" right before the "Engage!" call so I took a position on the 2nd lowest rung on the left side to start. Used my backpack filled with pillows to get stable and made my hits, then went up one rung on the same side and did the same. On the 55gal drum, my Accu-Tac bipod is the key here, since the legs and be positioned backwards 45 degrees. That allows me to lay the rifle across the top of that drum and create a modified prone situation which is very stable. Easily hit all 4 off of that. Then I repeated my previous strategy on the pyramid but on the other side since no positions can be repeated. This proved to be a perfect strategy, indicated by my clean score on this one.

Stage 4:
View attachment 432087
Tank trap stages are always a challenge. For this one I got a 10/12 and made sure again to focus on the locked leg stance instead of my combat habit of bending my knees. The other strategy here, since a mag change is required, is to load 2 mags with 6 each so it forces the mag change. A smarter thing would have been to load the first mag with 4 and then the second one with 8 so I wouldn't have had to reload in the middle of the 3rd tip. Pretty simple stage but that was my strategy.

Stage 5:
View attachment 432088

I cleaned this stage. For the seat position I used my Arca bag and my backpack squish bag to support my position. When I transitioned to the top I basically just did the same thing and made sure my pillow backpack was put to good use to get real stable. Also, I normally NEVER dial but on this stage since the targets are only at 1 distance I simply dialed 4MOA and held dead on. Easy stage to clean if your fundamentals are good.

I only missed 5 shots all day! Hopefully me taking the time to type this analysis early in the month will help people who will be shooting the Feb COF this month! Now, as promised, here are a few pics from the match:

Results:
View attachment 432089

View attachment 432090

@zer0dev and myself, AKA the Tomax & Xamot of this league! (Tomax there needs to work on looking a little less friendly - we'll work on that! Haha)

View attachment 432091

Thanks to everyone who participated in the match, the Match Director and staff, my sponsors, my supporters, Erik, and everyone else who supports me in any way, including you for reading this!

Cheers!
Congratulations! I will shoot this course of fire for the second time on Sunday with my CZ 457. Do not currently have a airgun that’s good for PRS style shooting with slugs.