Finally found a slug that shoots well

I finally found a slug that shoots well out of my .177 Crown with the .22 superior superlight caliber change kit installed. I tried Griffin 16,17, & 18 slugs but couldn't get groups as good as with pellets. The 18 gr showed promise but this gun is tuned with the AA 18 gr pellet & wasn't changed for testing slugs at this time. I had some of the new NSA 17.5 gr. slugs in the .2175 size & got the group shown below. This was with a sometimes 4 mph right to left crosswind. The gun is set at 160 bar reg pressure, 500mm barrel, 25/30, & increasing the HS does not increase the 840 +/- fps. The below pict is of a full 18 shot mag group shot at 40 yards from a bench using a Caldwell led sled 2. Again the original pellet tune was not altered. Looking like a pretty good start. Of course, I went to order more of these particular size slugs from NSA & they were "SOLD OUT." I'll order some when available, maybe after Christmas. The weather is likely not going to be very cooperative for a few months. Even in the mid 50's today my hands got cold enough to make loading a mag a bit clumsy. The older I get, the less I like the cold. 

IMG_0886.1606699433.jpeg

Here's the latest update. I decided that my previously mentioned 840 fps wasn't fast enough to justify using slugs. What I ended up doing was buying a Huma Air High Flow Dual Transfer Port for my .22 barrel change kit from Trenier. (https://www.trenieroutdoors.com/gear/huma-air-airgun-regulators/huma-air-accessories/huma-air-high-flow-dual-transfer-port-22-caliber-for-fx-airguns/) I installed it & just needed to adjust installing the barrel kit depth slightly to allow the magazine to seat easily. I haven't had a chance to take it to my bench in the field yet because of lots off snow, cold, & holidays. I did shoot it from my front porch at a paper target around 35 yards away using my Deadshot FieldPod rest which is not quite as steady as my bags or lead-sled from the bench. Just that Transfer port install raised my FPS to an average of 984 FPS with the NSA 17.5 grain .2175 slugs. To me that means that I did not have my gun, pre-transfer port install, tuned as well as I thought. There maybe shouldn't have been that much of a speed increase just because of a transport port mod. I was also blown away that the accuracy that I was getting that was at least as good as I was previously getting at the bench at 40 yards. My first few shots were into the same hole & I initially thought the I was totally missing until I aimed at a different point of aim & kept hitting the same hole. Not ragged, mind you, but into the same hole. I'll need to do more testing to make sure of what I'm seeing now translates into consistent results at bit longer range. So far, I'm very impressed with this FX super-light, superior barrel kit and NSA slugs. I've got numerous calibers of NSA slugs & am now convinced that I need to do more work to find slugs that work in my.177 & .25 caliber guns. I keep hoping that FX will eventually come out with a .177 Superior barrel suitable for slugs. Extending the range & accuracy of a lightweight, fast, flat shooting .177 a bit would make that upgrade almost a must, especially with the increasing availability of .177 slugs here in the US.

On a side note, I tried these .2175 NSA slugs in my Daystate Huntsman Regal, Huma reg. .22 & could hardly chamber them without EXTREME FORCE. Resized .2165's, would not chamber easily nor .216's,---these .216's got pretty close. Finally the .2155's chambered pretty good. I haven't had a chance to test accuracy because I was just shooting out of my bathroom window into our field just to check chambering ease at the time. I haven't even checked FPS speed yet with these 17.5 NSA .22gr. slugs in the Huntsman. I can't wait for Spring & my Covid-19 shots. 

Paul