Finally Built A Shooting Bench

I gathered some free pallet wood and cobbled up a shooting bench to put at my oldest son's land. Now I'll be able to test at 100yds or more. I made it wider on the right so I wouldn't have to cut the top boards and to give a right hander more room on that side if two are shooting at the same time. I purchased 1 new 2"x4"x12' and 1 2"x10"x8' for the seat and they cost me $34 not even treated. A tip for those not into chemistry, Ethylene Glycol (automotive antifreeze) will preserve wood by stopping rot and insects. Buy the 50/50 kind to spray it on every surface or use the undiluted type to brush or roll on. Be sure the label says Ethylene Glycol NOT Propylene Glycol. It soaks in and dries fairly quick, the green color doesn't transfer noticeably. Apply another coat after the first dries. When it's dry you can still paint or whatever as normal so don't waste money on lower grade treated wood. If you don't want to use Ethylene Glycol you could dissolve two pounds of copper sulfate in a gallon of water add a squirt of dish detergent and spray the wood with that.

I haven't sanded or treated the wood yet but I'll get it done soon. 76"x76"

Shooting Bench.1644879406.jpg
B2 - Copy.1645051471.jpg

Keep an eye on your pets when you apply that anti freeze. They love the smell and taste but the stuff is deadly.

Not since 2012 when manufacturers started adding denatonium benzoate to antifreeze to make it super bitter so animals won't drink it.

As long as you don't spray more than a spoonful into your pet's mouth it'll be fine, otherwise it'll barf.

Awesome looking bench. In the second picture there is a small cut off laying below the right bench seat. If you have more of those pieces left you might consider adding them to the bottom of each leg. By lifting the leg off the ground slightly It will help stop water wicking up into the bottom of the legs endgrain and extend the life of the legs.

Great tip on the antifreeze, todays treated lumber is junk!! I built my home in 1999 and added a deck from the "new" treated lumber that came out around that time. Supposed to be safer around kids and the enviorment. Stuff is a joke, some areas on my deck do not have treated lumber as there was not enough availiable at the time. Now the ' special treated" lumber is junk, all split and deteriorated, while the regular untreated lumber looks fine other than discoloration.. Even went back to the lumber store with receipts, but the company that carrys out the warranty is no longer in business!!!

So....thanks for the tip to treat regular wood, todays "treated lumber" is not worth the trouble to bring it home. This summer I will need to remove the regular lumber to replace the 25 year warranty treated lumber which didnt last 20 years !!!! Once again our govt knows best !!