Finally back at it (Squirrelin)

Having massive power potential on tap and being able to control all aspects of it is why I have two of them for shooting slugs. I wanted the challenge of making them consistent guns versus the challenge of modding a gun for power. After several years in slug land I wanted to see what life was like with an Impact that was just set up conservatively for pellets. There is a positive difference when sticking to pellets. The gun isn’t as quirky or sensitive. But the hunting shortcomings that I listed still exist. Because of the 11 million projectiles I have fired out of Impacts testing, tuning and barrel building, I’ve become very comfortable with the ergonomics of the platform. Along with the shot cycle. I own a lot of guns and the only gun I’m more comfortable with is a traditional rifle carbine. Bottom line is I know what a M3 is capable of on a given day. I’ve been occupied with trying to make them do it every day under all conditions. It’s my hobby within a hobby.
Good info. I am not a slug guy per se I have one Vulcan 3 700mm set up at 1000fps shooting 34 grain varmint knockers for coyotes and PRS matches. The rest are all pellets. I have looked hard at the impact and the maverick compact in 25 for a squirrel rifle to go along with my rti in 22. I am not a big tuning guy, I'm not looking at it for the ability to change calibers, but for getting good power out of pellets. I will tune to make it shoot well but I will not be experimenting with different tunes just because. I want a good pellet that hits hard amd good accuracy and consistency.

Jon

If I wasn’t hell bent on making that platform submit to me I would sell them and replace them with 3 RTI’s. I already have one P2. The power potential is easily there. Clean air delivery is there. I’m just not interested in slug testing with the one I have now to see if something is there. Or if it will be a lifetime of decent groups but always a flier.

If I wasn’t hell bent on making that platform submit to me I would sell them and replace them with 3 RTI’s. I already have one P2. The power potential is easily there. Clean air delivery is there. I’m just not interested in slug testing with the one I have now to see if something is there. Or if it will be a lifetime of decent groups but always a flier.
Lol. I have just one the prophet 1 in 22 and it is a very solid gun and I looked at getting the compact in 25.My prophet has the barrel made for 25.39s. I have been wanting to try some of my varmint knockers just to see

Went to retrieve a camera today. Took the Evol and glad I did. It’s a long haul to the spot. I never covered that much ground lugging a PCP. Nothing fun about dragging 10+ pounders over rough terrain. The Evol was a dream. Then I bit it big time on a slick flat rock covered in leaves. Little Evol said no big deal. Still dead on.

IMG_5539.jpeg

Reactions: drsquall
Went to retrieve a camera today. Took the Evol and glad I did. It’s a long haul to the spot. I never covered that much ground lugging a PCP. Nothing fun about dragging 10+ pounders over rough terrain. The Evol was a dream. Then I bit it big time on a slick flat rock covered in leaves. Little Evol said no big deal. Still dead on.

View attachment 406360
Well I hope you didn't get too dinged up just mostly your pride. Lol yeah I think until FX makes real barrels that don't do the point of impact shift I will stay away from them. I got too many friends that complain about that all the time on the M3. So I will stick to my RTI, Vulcan 3, cricket 2 and even my marauder that whenever I pick any of these up they're always on. Looking hard at evol now.

The rut is really kicking in here now and so I'm gonna be setting in the woods with my Grendel here shortly.

Last edited:
There are a lot of pieces that bolt together on the chassis of an Impact that can influence a POI shift. It’s not just their barrel system. I have a M3 that has always had a real barrel on it and a stout backbone. It’s still not my Taipan, RTI or Evol.
I know the evol is less power but it is so solid. My biggest drawback with my rti is I'm left handed and even with the lefty mags I have to position my head behind it and don't care for that.

Jon